Oakville  550 Kerr Street | 59.72m | 16s | Rock Developments | Turner Fleischer

Both have lived in Oakville for ever and are fully engrained into the political fabric in Oakville, especially that part of it south of the QEW. I am assuming you are not a resident of Ward 2. I would just say that there has not been an issue of significance in the ward that would distract a ward member enough from their own economic activities to oppose the status quo. The closest we came to civil unrest was the unhappiness over how the fate of Brantwood School and its property was decided.

I fully respect the owners of 171 and the wish and ability to run their business. As it stands they have a reputation for screening indie films and the like, and that is not found everywhere.

But it would be a lost opportunity if we cannot somehow, begin to turn this underutilized strip mall and parking lot (which I believe, if my memory serves me correctly, once housed a movie theater as well - currently Shopper's) into a more vibrant community , and take advantage of the linkages to both the GO and Kerr Street Village.

Both have lived in Oakville for ever and are fully engrained into the political fabric in Oakville, especially that part of it south of the QEW. I am assuming you are not a resident of Ward 2. I would just say that there has not been an issue of significance in the ward that would distract a ward member enough from their own economic activities to oppose the status quo. The closest we came to civil unrest was the unhappiness over how the fate of Brantwood School and its property was decided.
I am a resident in Ward 2, yes. For many years now. I am not sure why you would think that I am not?
Them being ingrained in the political fabric of Oakville forever is exactly their problem.

For this project, I would say I am highly invested. This is my neighbourhood. I am in that grocery store every week. I would like to see the development. The most important part to me is that the grocery store remains in place, and doesn't get removed for the full period of construction. This store is a lifeline for this community, as it has been for many years, and especially since No Frills on Cross Avenue closed. This Ward has the lowest median income in Oakville by a significant margin.

This plaza had the Canadian Tire before they opened the new one just up Kerr St. I don't remember a cinema in this plaza to be honest. That might be before my time. I know that before the AMC opened over at Winston Churchill, there was a Cineplex Odeon (the Mews) located at the current Film.ca location. For many years, we had the Famous Players at the Dorval Town Centre, and the Mews on Speers Road. It was a church for a few years before Jeff Knoll bought this location and it became Encore (now Film.ca).

Last edited:
I am a resident in Ward 2, yes. For many years now. I am not sure why you would think that I am not?
Them being ingrained in the political fabric of Oakville forever is exactly their problem.

For this project, I would say I am highly invested. This is my neighbourhood. I am in that grocery store every week. I would like to see the development. The most important part to me is that the grocery store remains in place, and doesn't get removed for the full period of construction. This store is a lifeline for this community, as it has been for many years, and especially since No Frills on Cross Avenue closed. This Ward has the lowest median income in Oakville by a significant margin.

This plaza had the Canadian Tire before they opened the new one just up Kerr St. I don't remember a cinema in this plaza to be honest. That might be before my time. I know that before the AMC opened over at Winston Churchill, there was a Cineplex Odeon (the Mews) located at the current Film.ca location. For many years, we had the Famous Players at the Dorval Town Centre, and the Mews on Speers Road. It was a church for a few years before Jeff Knoll bought this location and it became Encore (now Film.ca).
Sorry, I was catching the train in MTL, dropped the feed and did not come back. No disrespect was intended, I was just curious.

With the increased density coming to this area, you would think a grocery store will be part of the retail scene. And the current Design Brief seems to speak to that location being the NW corner of Kerr and Speers. But what type of grocery store? Does a Food Basics remain or will a move be made to a Metro? or similar. This density is going to cause more change then all of the neighborhood will wish to see. Some welcome the Kerr Street Cafe with open arms, some mourn the loss of the vintage furniture outlets.

I am a little hazy on my cinema thought. I was pretty young, but I thought it fronted on to Speers using the entrance doors you can still see, but I could be totally wrong. I should go down to the library and root around back issues of the Beaver.

However, see the attached, taken in 1957 from the Southwest corner of Kerr and Speers. The 'Grand Union' was a short-lived American chain of grocery stores, and that would be your grocery store today.
SW Corner Kerr and Speers.jpg

Back