Toronto 4674 Kingston Road | 41.4m | 13s | NJS Capital | BDP Quadrangle

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
@3Dementia Santa has another one for you............ LOL

New application into the AIC for this far flung property..........

1661345455039.png

Site as it is today:

1661345501658.png

* Docs are Up*

Architect is BDPQ...........and this just might be the nicest looking building along this stretch of road if it gets built as proposed..............

1661345723475.png

1661346189580.png

1661345773427.png

From the Planning Report:

1661346007234.png

1661346121723.png

Interesting bit here............the proponent's planners are pitching to reduce the parking that has been included in their own proposal............

1661346303858.png

View attachment 422289

Site as it is today:

* Docs are Up*

Architect is BDPQ...........and this just might be the nicest looking building along this stretch of road if it gets built as proposed..............

Interesting bit here............the proponent's planners are pitching to reduce the parking that has been included in their own proposal............
Hey thanks Santa! I like this one. Make that 2 Northern light beers for your lunch! 🍻

A week or so I ago I was clearly bored and counted all the u/c and proposed mid-rises along Kingston Road: 45 mid-rises u/c and pre-construction between Woodbine and Military Trail (can't remember where I posted it).

And they keep comin'... so 46. 🙃

Eliminating setbacks here would make the units even longer. It's more how they chop the floorplate into slivers to get more units. Allowing 60s type slab shapes would probably help more.

I appreciate that this is one of the nicer buildings being built in the area.

Wondering why most of the units are bachelor or 1 bedroom. Do we not have enough of a demand for families needing housing? I would think so. Just wondering why this decision was made and approved?

View attachment 422289

Site as it is today:

View attachment 422290

* Docs are Up*

View attachment 422291

View attachment 422295

View attachment 422292

View attachment 422293

View attachment 422294

View attachment 422296
So how do they propose people get around? Bikes? Bus? 1 car per family? Increase buses for the area? There is not enough transit options that could get someone quickly to where the jobs are I imagine. There are many projects being built in the area with limited parking spaces. Also, where are all the Dr offices, banking, groceries, etc to support all the new development to all the new projects?

So how do they propose people get around?

The proposal is based on studies indicating that demand for parking will be less than the supply which would normally be required.

There isn't much point to providing parking spaces that sit empty.

Bikes? Bus? 1 car per family? Increase buses for the area?

Again, the developer isn't tasked with providing these, the developer is assessing what the prospective residents are likely to make use of; and seeking to provide only that, and no more.

Also, where are all the Dr offices, banking, groceries, etc to support all the new development to all the new projects?

This, broadly is a fair ask, that the City endeavour as developments come up, to ensure those that have sufficient site area, provide retail/commercial space that will serve the area needs.

However, the City can't generally speaking specify who a lessee will be (in any event a retailer or doctor etc has to agree to be such a lessee).

I'm not convinced this is the best site for a supermarket to serve this area, further the manner in which this development is laid out would make that a challenge, but certainly, a case can be made than another is due in time.

Fair enough to ask these questions at any public meetings or to phone or email the planner on the file.

I appreciate that this is one of the nicer buildings being built in the area.

Wondering why most of the units are bachelor or 1 bedroom. Do we not have enough of a demand for families needing housing? I would think so. Just wondering why this decision was made and approved?
The City asks for a minimum of 40% "family-sized" units, usually coming in 30% two-bedroom suites and 10% three-bedroom suites. In this case, the developer is proposing 10% three-bedrooms, and 15% two-bedrooms. The reason that two bedrooms are low here? Particularly high is the number of studio suites, which make up 34% of the suites. As this site is close to UofT Scarborough and Centennial College, the studios (and many other larger suites) will likely be sold to investors looking to rent to students at those schools. Not sure how the City will respond to the percentages.

If developers felt they could sell more of the larger suites, they would offer them.

Last edited:
Thank you for responding and clarifying some of my questions. I live in the area and I notice the offices, stores and roads in the area are becoming increasingly more busy. I was wondering about infrastructure supports. I suppose these are questions for the city and my councillor and will contact them.

Back