Ajax Ravenscroft Towns | 13.5m | 3s | Valour | pml.A

Paclo

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Ravenscroft Towns (Ravenscroft & Taunton Phase 4): a proposed 4 x 3-storey condo-townhouse development designed by pml.A for Valour Capital on the west side of Ravenscroft Road, south of Taunton Road West in Northwest Ajax.

Site plan and elevations from the architectural package:
Phase4.jpg

78bada692a32fbb8612e0f41fa35d49b_Architectural_Plans-2.jpg

Slightly different imagery from Valour:
vd-project-ajax-1.jpg

vd-project-ajax-2.jpg

Phasing plan from the Planning Justification Report:
5b1317cc3f723d947f0440c9c554a264_Planning_Justification_Report-07.jpg

What's the point of keeping each block of towns at the same level while the land drops below it? Why use more concrete to hold this higher up in the than it needs to be, instead of having it work with the contours of the land? This is on a ravine; it should be designed to work with the ravine, not ignore it.

It's also unfortunate that there's no mixed-use component with storefronts along Ravenscroft Road given the retail plaza across the street.
I think that’s the main reason why there isn’t any mixed-use development’s proposed. However, it would’ve been nice to see some. The plaza still has expansion lots and there are still vacant retail spaces. So I see why developers didn’t want to include retail space in any of the phased plans.

I think that’s the main reason why there isn’t any mixed-use development’s proposed. However, it would’ve been nice to see some. The plaza still has expansion lots and there are still vacant retail spaces. So I see why developers didn’t want to include retail space in any of the phased plans.

Ideally, in the future, the plaza will be redeveloped such that there will be a multi-storey building fronting onto Ravenscroft with storefronts on the ground floor. That would create the potential for a walkable and vibrant street. A lot of people want that sort of built form but can't afford the Toronto neighbourhoods where it exists at the moment.

Ideally, in the future, the plaza will be redeveloped such that there will be a multi-storey building fronting onto Ravenscroft with storefronts on the ground floor. There would therefore be a walkable and vibrant mixed-use street there.
That’s completely true.

What's the point of keeping each block of towns at the same level while the land drops below it? Why use more concrete to hold this higher up in the than it needs to be, instead of having it work with the contours of the land? This is on a ravine; it should be designed to work with the ravine, not ignore it.

parking. Keeping the grade the same lets them have "underground" parking with less excavation costs.

parking. Keeping the grade the same lets them have "underground" parking with less excavation costs.
Still looks like they could drop each block of buildings by about half a metre to at least acknowledge the contours of the land. Mother Earth says "work with me, baby!"

Back