News   Apr 15, 2024
 962     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 652     0 

Simcoe Street Rapid Transit Visioning Study | City of Oshawa and Region of Durham

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
There was a consultation meeting today for this project. Website: https://www.simcoestreetrapidtransit.ca/

1669249566145.png

Project website has this below PDF map but there's not direct URL so screenshot below.

1669249660044.png

1669249734354.png

Attachments

• 1669249697801.png
    1669249697801.png
    918 KB · Views: 92
The transit nerd in me wants to see an let along Simcoe to spur redevelopment and revitalization of the downtown core of Oshawa. But pragmatist in me thinks BRT might be the best choice

Attachments

• Boards_PIC2 Pop-ups_2022-11-10_Part2.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 98
Considering Peel Region (pop:1.32M) is getting at-grade LRT, an elevated RT in Oshawa (pop:170K) seems unlikely..
Lol that’s a false equivalency. If you want you could compare municipalities but why region to city? Also Oshawa’s CMA is 415,000.

As lovely as elevated would be along Simcoe the ROW is only ~16m south of Switzer Drive. Houses also have setbacks of less than 10m between there and downtown Oshawa. It would likely be nuked by homeowners.

Considering Peel Region (pop:1.32M) is getting at-grade LRT, an elevated RT in Oshawa (pop:170K) seems unlikely..
Yea an elevated LRT wouldn’t be feasible for this location. I believe the best option would be a partially above and underground LRT. Throughout the open house, they mentioned that they want to keep pedestrian and vehicle routes the same, it would be hard to widen the road between rossland all the way to Olive street. Since the houses and businesses were built right by the roadway.

Lol that’s a false equivalency. If you want you could compare municipalities but why region to city? Also Oshawa’s CMA is 415,000.
Fair, but the Hurontario LRT runs between Mississauga and Brampton while this would just be serving Oshawa.

Grade-separated LRT here would be a good model to show we are beyond building at-grade LRTs in principle for places that merit something faster than a bus. However, that will not happen here. If anything, at-grade might make the most sense given the nature of localized demand. While I would like to see elevated LRT/Light Metros begin to overtake various planned BRT/LRT corridors, this just doesn't seem like the place to start just yet.

Grade-separated LRT here would be a good model to show we are beyond building at-grade LRTs in principle for places that merit something faster than a bus. However, that will not happen here. If anything, at-grade might make the most sense given the nature of localized demand. While I would like to see elevated LRT/Light Metros begin to overtake various planned BRT/LRT corridors, this just doesn't seem like the place to start just yet.
Yes, a grade separated LRT would be nice in Durham. I think it would work in the north end, like near taunton road where there isn’t a lot of development in that area (mainly in Ajax and Pickering. Oshawa and Whitby has a lot more development along Taunton road). At places where there are developments it could run underground or above ground.

And tbh it was probably a mistake.

An idea we created for the current Simcoe rapid transit study being conducted by Durham Region. We believe an LRT would be the best fit. Below is a map of all the suggested stops. View attachment 441543
The stop spacing seems way too close.

Yes, a grade separated LRT would be nice in Durham. I think it would work in the north end, like near taunton road where there isn’t a lot of development in that area. At places where there are developments it could run underground or above ground.
And tbh it was probably a mistake.

The stop spacing seems way too close.
It seems close in the drawing but they are pretty spaced out in reality. It’s also an LRT so they won’t be as long as subway cars.

It seems close in the drawing but they are pretty spaced out in reality. It’s also an LRT so they won’t be as long as subway cars.
I measured out some of the spacing in google maps, and for the most part it isn't so bad for surface RT. For underground, 400-600m spacing (not including platforms) is pretty close (Line 5 has closer to 800m spacing and probably also triple the density). To me it simply does not make sense for this line to be underground given the severe lack of density and length, and the more local function this line seems to imply. BRT dedicated lanes (similar to VIVA) where room permits, and que jump lanes with signal priority where space is tight make the most sense (practically and cost wise) IMO.

Back