News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 532     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

A police service is neither mandated nor equipped to take and hold ground in another country, regardless of military support or the wishes of the host country. The RCMP, along with other Canadian police services operating under the RCMP banner, do deploy on UN peacekeeping missions.

We have RCMP in Haiti. And I think they are actually quite valuable in capacity building roles, helping train local law enforcement.

Not sure what the Canadian contribution will be. The Army can deploy a battalion if ordered. But it leaves very little room for other commitments. Also, why they can do a short deployment (few months) to assist, I doubt there's enough bodies left to sustain such an operation in the long run.

We have RCMP in Haiti. And I think they are actually quite valuable in capacity building roles, helping train local law enforcement.

Not sure what the Canadian contribution will be. The Army can deploy a battalion if ordered. But it leaves very little room for other commitments. Also, why they can do a short deployment (few months) to assist, I doubt there's enough bodies left to sustain such an operation in the long run.

Nevermind the question of what our contribution will be - the question should be what is our contribution supposed to do in the context of the failed state - one that had been proven to default into instability at the first opportunity.

AoD

Nevermind the question of what our contribution will be - the question should be what is our contribution supposed to do in the context of the failed state - one that had been proven to default into instability at the first opportunity.
Haiti seems like a complete and constant mess. No amount of foreign intervention is going to turn it around. Even Mother Nature through earthquakes, floods, storms and disease seems determined to wipe it off the face of the earth.

That place is cursed. Canada cannot save Haiti and its people from themselves. I’d rather see our limited foreign aid go to Ukraine. That place has potential to rise up from its current situation to become a successful, western democracy, free (mostly) of corruption and violence, embracing western ideals of rights and freedoms. I don’t see that potential in Haiti, where from 2011 to 2021 the globe sent US $13 billion in aid, for seemingly zero benefit.

There’s no chance of building a successful state for Haiti no matter how many billions are spent. Better to just depopulate the place, spread its people across the globe as UN convention refugees and give everyone a fresh start.

Last edited:
New National Polling data that's got an attention-grabber in it.

Signs that Canadians, and not minority, but a clear majority are losing enthusiasm for ever higher immigration targets, and they are linking those to housing prices.

Article here: (not paywalled:

From said article:

1668703880078.png

Going to Leger's site, we get a bit more info:

1668704001076.png

Seems reasonable. I don't think people are generally concerned about immigration, beyond our failure to execute on growing housing stock to accommodate newcomers.

Is it the same percentage of people who will be dead when CPP dries up due to our low birth rates?
I agree with these people - our plan admits too many people.

I would have had a different opinion if our governments were adept at handling immigration, adding skilled workers, alleviating labour shortages, whilst not fueling a real estate bubble, straining our infrastructure and services, and feeding our corporations demand for cheap bodies.

Alas ...

Is it the same percentage of people who will be dead when CPP dries up due to our low birth rates?

Except, this isn't on pace to happen. CPP is fully funded for the next 75 years.

The need is to maintain the same ratio of working age population to retirees. By upping CPP contribution rates substantially more than 2 decades ago, we resolved this issue, fully.

Now, as life expectancy grows, we will have an issue, eventually, and if the birth rate fell further absent some reasonable level of immigration in the working age demographic, we would have a problem once more.
But based on a much lower level of immigration than we have today, CPP is stable.

There is a somewhat larger issue with OAS/GIS in that these are funded cash-from-current each year by Parliament, as opposed to being deducted from pay cheques.
However, even there, the levels of population growth from immigration (and natural growth, for now), is sufficient for fiscal health.

I would argue for raising the retirement age to 70, and has been done through much of Scandinavia, but largely using the proceeds from that to increase benefits.

ie. CPP delayed to 70 pays 40% more than CPP paid starting at 65. (that is the actual math, I had it done for me by the Parliamentary Library through my MPs office)

So you could go from 33% income replacement via CPP to 46.5% by delaying the age of eligibility.

OAS currently pays 13% of income on average, so a similar bump to ~18.5% for grand total of 58.5% without GIS.

GIS is a bit more complicated, because the former two moves would make most people ineligible, so you would have to raise the income threshold for qualification and the maximum payment, but roughly, we should be able to guarantee someone in the range of 60% income replacement or $2,200 per month, whichever is higher. Which would be a significant lift for many low-income seniors........... But I digress.

I'm certainly not anti-immigration, but I am for looking at the total allotment of persons entering Canada to live through the Immigration, TFW and Foreign student streams, and moderating that to a level that allows us to catch up on housing and infrastructure, which would probably be about a 20-25% cut from the current target numbers; perhaps a bit deeper for just a year or two.

Last edited:

Back