News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 635     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

Certainly didn't seem to be the case at the two stations I passed this morning.

Dan
The finishings inside (tile work, escalators, elevators, glasswork, etc.) will continue since it is inside. The outside filling in and resurfacing will continue. The watermains and sewers have to be covered with soil to insulate them from the frost.

Last year, seen them do paving and roadwork into Christmas or end of December. Can be done when temperatures are above freezing.

Absolutely, what I mean is that projects like a much delayed LRT absolutely continue through the winter. Construction does wind down in the winter but projects like this? Absolutely not. I guess people do not remember the massive heated tents that they had up at each above ground station in 2019 or so to continue the work over the winter.

Absolutely, what I mean is that projects like a much delayed LRT absolutely continue through the winter. Construction does wind down in the winter but projects like this? Absolutely not. I guess people do not remember the massive heated tents that they had up at each above ground station in 2019 or so to continue the work over the winter.
Isn't basically all the remaining work indoor or building related? If they were laying track and there wasn't a penalty for delays, they probably would just wait till the spring for that, but if they're doing station work, there's no reason not to work through the winter.

asphalt paving has to halt in the winter for a few months, but that is pretty much it. And even that is usually only shut down for 2-3 months from about the middle of December to the middle of March. Basically as long as the days are generally above freezing, it's full steam ahead.

asphalt paving has to halt in the winter for a few months, but that is pretty much it. And even that is usually only shut down for 2-3 months from about the middle of December to the middle of March. Basically as long as the days are generally above freezing, it's full steam ahead.
Contractors hate doing concrete work in the winter due to heating requirements. Generally, they'll still do it if it's confined to one space that can easily be heated and they're time constrained, but for long pours forget it (ie curbs/gutters, concrete paving, LRT tracks, pole bases, etc.

Contractors hate doing concrete work in the winter due to heating requirements. Generally, they'll still do it if it's confined to one space that can easily be heated and they're time constrained, but for long pours forget it (ie curbs/gutters, concrete paving, LRT tracks, pole bases, etc.
Concrete generates heat during the curing process.

And yet, one of things I saw a crew working on last night was prepping the cover and heating of a concrete curb pour.

Don't underestimate the ability for a sub to work under adverse conditions. Especially a lucrative one in the face of a deadline.

Dan

And yet, one of things I saw a crew working on last night was prepping the cover and heating of a concrete curb pour.

Don't underestimate the ability for a sub to work under adverse conditions. Especially a lucrative one in the face of a deadline.

Dan

Indeed, the WB lanes of Eglinton at Bayview are being being done now. They poured the concrete base for the left lane on Monday. I'll let you know when they pour the rest of it (this is just E of Bayview).

Concrete generates heat during the curing process.
You still have to heat it if the component is small enough or the temperatures are low enough as per the OPSS. It's part of the reason Grandlinq had heaters everywhere during the winter months while placing track.

Dan
Never said they wouldn't, especially when financial penalties are present, but that doesn't mean its an optimal scenario for them.

as a resident of Bayview and Eglinton, I would be delighted just to have our roads back … I hope they can clear them in the next 2-3 months.

Don't worry, they will clear the roads just in time for new housing development in the area to start and block the roads again for the next 10 years.

Back