News   Mar 28, 2024
 497     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 327     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 339     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Not to distract from the important conversation above; but a note:

The Province will deliver its mini-budget (Fall Economic Fiscal Update) on Monday at 1pm.

So, the Economic Statement/Fall mini-budget is out:

I've read it.

Its depressing.

The government has somehow managed to add billions to the deficit vs the FAO report that came out quite recently; with precious little to show for it.

I counted one genuinely positive highlight; but even that one gets an asterisk.

Positives:

- Those on ODSP (assuming they can work) will no longer have benefits taxed back for any income greater than $200 per month, that number will be increased to $1,000 per month. That's a solid move......
But...but..........the government also increased the claw back rate from .50c benefit reduction for each dollar earned to .75c per each dollar earned.

For those also living in rent-geared-to-income housing, that makes work literally not pay if you earn over $1,000 per month, you will be penalized greater than 100% (losing 75% of the gain to the clawback and another 30% to a rent increase)
What an asinine move, muffing an otherwise good play. The object should actually be sliding scale claw back........it should be 10c per dollar earned for the first $100 over the $1,000 exemption, then 20c at the $200 mark and so on, capping at 50c on the dollar.

Immediate negative, if it makes sense to incentivize those with disabilities to work, some of whom cannot; would it not make sense to offer the same incentive to the presumably able-bodied on OW? I ask, because they did not.

Lots of re-treads of existing announcements for transit and highways with precious little substance.

The did openly state that money for planning and design to extend the Eglinton Crosstown West into Pearson is now funded; as is money for the Sheppard East Line 4 extension. However, they don't show when those cashflow.

There are hints of extending GO Bus services in Eastern Ontario and the South-West, but no specifics, they even omit the word GO, only mentioning 'buses'.

Lots of retread announcements on hospitals and long-term care as well; nothing new of significance, the South Niagara Hospital is working on RFP close; and money appears to be set aside at some point for new hospital's near the Premier's cottage, with new facilities in Bracebridge and Huntsville planned.

An 'announcement' on raising the minimum wage again will happen in April, presumably with the next increase in October, no number given; hardly merited a mention.

Some new tax concessions for small business; and for the film industry and billions more for the gouging Telcos to extend broadband to more rural areas.

There is a temporary boost for Seniors that will amount to under $200 per year on a one-off basis for low-income seniors.

I will report more on where the money is going when I'm able to dig into it.

Cutting the Ontario gas tax may just create a deficit for Ontario. But Doug will be saving money filling up his gas-guzzling SUV.
1_6151167.png

Cutting the Ontario gas tax may just create a deficit for Ontario. But Doug will be saving money filling up his gas-guzzling SUV.
Doesn't do a darn thing for me, got rid of the car after my husband passed away. Too expensive to keep. Reducing tax and delivery charges on home heating might be helpful for all and seniors who still own their home.

Doesn't do a darn thing for me, got rid of the car after my husband passed away. Too expensive to keep. Reducing tax and delivery charges on home heating might be helpful for all and seniors who still own their home.

I think the first place any money needs to go is Social Assistance. With a single-person rate of $733 per month all-in, its a rate, than in the absence of other help, assures homelessness, as one can't rent a room for that in Toronto, never mind have anything leftover for food.

If we indexed to inflation what OW was reduced to, by Harris in 1995 that number would be $904.37 per month; if we indexed the pre-Harris rate it would be $1,153 per month (still absurdly low)

But I'd be happy enough to see that; and then raise the average rent in public housing to ~40% RGI with a floor of 40% of the new OW rate; and then add that extra cost to the benefit:

I would estimate that this would equal, roughly, a $400 rent increase combined with a $400 benefit increase. The point of which would be that it would be neutral for those in RGI housing, but a desperately needed $400 boost for those who are not.

That would bring OW to ~$1,550 per month. Far from perfect, but enough to lift a lot of people out of abject poverty.

For others, I'd like to see a minimum wage hike that's significant (at the very least $3 per hour); and then increase the low-income threshold for seniors dental care by ~$15K per year to $45,000

Enough with measly $200 here or there, much of it one-off.

I don't know if I'd use the word "raised" with "profile" there. Trashed the city's reputation, sure. Ushered in a new wave of idiot-driven populism in the province, totally.
A little harsh, I found him to be the most exciting canadian politician in the 21st century.

THE MAYOR WHO SMOKES CRACK

Back