News   Apr 18, 2024
 697     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.3K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Hmm I wonder what the plan would be to link Finch West with Finch. I know some people see no purpose but I will say that the 36 is always been ridiculously busy and Finch is wide enough to accommodate an LRT and it's only 6 km. It would pay dividends as a Northern crosstown. as currently we are building a Northern extension on Line 1 and the Spadina section Line 1 already goes north of the 407!
There is no plan at the moment. It was a part of Transit City a long time back.

I'm frankly kind of baffled by how these project costs are presented. Is the capital cost really the all-in up-front cost? Ie, is that ~$100M per km comparable to the $700M/km for SSE? I notice that Hurontario has a similar $250M/km all-in cost, plus another billion dollars of operating costs over the contract.
I tried to find the comparable for the SSE and couldn't verify any #s.
Hurontario LRT construction cost is about $116m/km.

All in costs are different for these projects and can't be compared directly for that reason. IIRC, Hurontario includes the maintenance facility + vehicles while the SSE does not include either of those.

Yes, I read that document.

Merely pointing out that the speed calculated from their stated travel time doesn't match the speed from other estimates.

Which one is correct? Only one way to find out; wait until it starts running and measure the actual travel time.
I agree that it's probable that the travel time is incorrect, as that average speed would be astonishing for an LRT on a dedicated ROW. 23 kph is more plausible, if still underwhelming from a speed standpoint.

I’m just pleased to see that the contractor is expediting the restoration of the paved street and sidewalk…. as opposed to Eglinton, where the tracks were laid but it took forever for the street to be put back together.

- Paul
from pearldale to duncanwoods, they finished paving the street/sidewalk before even beginning guideway work

If anyone have read through that pdf, it contradicts itself. On answer 46, it states something different:

Personally I think a train can finish a trip in 28-30 minutes in lightly travel times unless there is extensive traffic light dwells. 38 minutes if it was packed and needed to wait for people to shuffle around. We'll see how well this works with the limited transit priority it is suppose to get.

It takes 22 min to drive the route without traffic accord to Google maps, the LRT has no traffic issues. There are 18 stops with an average of 30 sec per stop, that adds 9 mins (that's pretty excessive, subways stop for like 10-15 seconds or less for lightly used stops. That adds to 31 min. So 38 minutes would likely be close to the worst case scenario without any transit priority.
This 2009 Metrolinx business case puts the travel time from Humber to Yonge at 46 minutes. But it should be noted that all these calculations are just done by assuming 22km/h, which itself was taken from simulation done for the Sheppard East LRT. As far as I know, no public Finch documents included any simulation model outputs that calculated the travel time.

pics from milady to duncanwoods, nov 4 2022

IMG_1349.JPEG

finch and milady, looking east

IMG_1350.JPEG

finch and pearldale, looking east

IMG_1351.JPEG

approaching finch and duncanwoods, looking east

IMG_1353.JPEG

finch and duncanwoods, looking east towards finch and milvan

IMG_1354.JPEG

finch and gracedale, looking west

IMG_1355.JPEG

finchdale plaza western entrance

IMG_1357.JPEG

pearldale ave, recently resurfaced after TPSS duct bank was installed

IMG_1358.JPEG

looking west towards finch from pearldale, guideway work should be starting soon in this stretch (pearldale to islington)

IMG_1359.JPEG

bonus shot: TPSS installed at pearldale

Attachments

• IMG_1352.JPEG
    IMG_1352.JPEG
    327.4 KB · Views: 51

View attachment 437100

View attachment 437101

View attachment 437102

View attachment 437104

View attachment 437105

View attachment 437106

View attachment 437109

View attachment 437110
looking west towards finch from pearldale, guideway work should be starting soon in this stretch (pearldale to islington)

View attachment 437111
Why are there so many conduits under the track slabs?

I’m just pleased to see that the contractor is expediting the restoration of the paved street and sidewalk…. as opposed to Eglinton, where the tracks were laid but it took forever for the street to be put back together.

- Paul
Agreed. Can we please just bring this contractor on to do the Keele-Yonge portion of the Finch West LRT. At its February 20, 2020 meeting, the Metrolinx Board of Directors endorsed a prioritization framework for a proposed Frequent Rapid Transit Network that was inclusive of a proposed LRT extension from Finch West Station to Finch Station; with a forecasted ridership of 6,600 in 2031 and a proposed line length of 6.3 km along Finch Avenue West, the project scored 'High' with a preliminary benefit-cost ratio of 0.36 - 0.65. https://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/p...220_BoardMtg_Advancing_Transit_Priorities.pdf. We are finally getting transit built north of Bloor. Let's keep it going for the good of all of Toronto!

View attachment 437100

View attachment 437101

View attachment 437102

View attachment 437104

View attachment 437105

View attachment 437106

View attachment 437109

View attachment 437110

View attachment 437111
Awesome shots!

Why are there so many conduits under the track slabs?
Some of them are for the various systems that are needed along the route. Power, monitoring, signalling, etc.

And some of it is for future-proofing. It's much easier to run a new system if the conduit is there and waiting than to try and rip everything up and stuff a new one in.

Dan

Some of them are for the various systems that are needed along the route. Power, monitoring, signalling, etc.

And some of it is for future-proofing. It's much easier to run a new system if the conduit is there and waiting than to try and rip everything up and stuff a new one in.

Dan
Sources tell me its actually for a mini-hyperloop

Agreed. Can we please just bring this contractor on to do the Keele-Yonge portion of the Finch West LRT. At its February 20, 2020 meeting, the Metrolinx Board of Directors endorsed a prioritization framework for a proposed Frequent Rapid Transit Network that was inclusive of a proposed LRT extension from Finch West Station to Finch Station; with a forecasted ridership of 6,600 in 2031 and a proposed line length of 6.3 km along Finch Avenue West, the project scored 'High' with a preliminary benefit-cost ratio of 0.36 - 0.65. https://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/p...220_BoardMtg_Advancing_Transit_Priorities.pdf. We are finally getting transit built north of Bloor. Let's keep it going for the good of all of Toronto!
Haven't heard anything on Finch since this came out. Don't think the political will is there for this. The extension to Woodbine is also mentioned in there.

Back