Toronto Malibu Harbourfront Condo | ?m | 32s | Malibu Investments | P + S / IBI

^... I guess you missed this part :)

The sale of units in this building was misrepresented by the builder and its agents.Floors 7 and 11 in the Podium were represented as having 9 foot ceilings and buyers paid more because of this.

Where was this 'misrespresented'? In the brochure or the agreement of purchase and sale? For the third time, that is the key point.

^... If a premium was paid, it would have been in the Agreement of Purchase and Sale

Hi

My unit is on the 10th floor. I am not sure if it is 9ft or 8ft ceiling for the 10th floor units. It never occurred to me to check this. I will check my contract in regards to this.
As regards to Malibu owners uniting and taking this to the media, I am all for it. After dealing with this builder I am of the strong opinion that they are not honest people and we cannot let them get away with anything. If some one wants to write to Toronto star, there is this columnist by the name of “Ellen Rosemanâ€, she sometimes takes up causes for the public if she feels there is some merit to the case. I would strongly suggest we email her independently explaining how the builder has misrepresented the sale. She might be able to do something. Here is her email id "eroseman@torontostar.ca"

Cheers
rsk

eeeks ... people considering or have purchased a unit at Boutique & LTD condos should really be careful about the builder given all the problems discussed

eeeks ... people considering or have purchased a unit at Boutique & LTD condos should really be careful about the builder given all the problems discussed

I wouldn't be too concerned with Boutique as the primary developer is the Urban Capital Property Group. They are not partnered exclusively with Malibu Investments, as other firms involved in the project include West Development Group, ALIT Developments and ZAS Architects.

Perhaps there are some "questionable happenings" with Malibu at Harbourfront as this is the firms' first exclusive development? What I mean is that they've been involved with other projects such as 18 Yonge St, Boutique, St. Andrew on the Green, etc. but always with other developers. Malibu, however, was developed solely by the one developer. Maybe that has something to do with it?

amazing shot ... really shows the 'gap' to be filled in between Malibu & Cityplace

This is probabily one of the few buildings, especially the south side which has a wonderful view. The north side, well I'm not a fan of looking into other peoples bedrooms, but you can't please everyone right?

Here is a post from my website about it from last summer. Good times.

---------------

malibu8.jpg

Driving past this place multiple times, we watched it take shape and as summer’s end drew near the height of the building seemed to top out at 36 stories. As the building took shape I decided to make the trek up the steps one fall evening with Sgt.Marshall who was in town for a few weeks. He expressed his disbelief at how accessible the building was. We began the trek up but it wasn’t a lot of fun following Marshall as he was very tall and took two steps at a time. This made me reconsider the intensity of my Stairmaster workouts as I thought I was in ‘ok’ shape. A few more gasps for air and boom, we had arrived.

malibu7.jpg

The view from what is now the utility room level was breathtaking. This building currently has the best view of any building downtown. It won’t last long as another phase is going up behind this one facing north and two more planned on the east and west side. The southerners must have paid premium not to be subjected to a depressing view of others as unfortunate as themselves who got taken by the spell of owning their very own broom closet in the sky.

malibu5.jpg

Read and see the rest here: http://www.ntropy.us/archives/32

Coupland Statue Unveiled Today

from today's National Post.....

couplandsculpture.jpg

By Natalie Alcoba, National Post

A provocative new monument near Fort York that “gently†reminds onlookers of who won the War of 1812 shows a giant British toy soldier towering over a toppled American figurine.
It was created by Vancouver-based artist and author Douglas Coupland, and was unveiled today at the corner of Fleet and Bathurst streets as the public art contribution of a 32-storey condominium.
“I grew up thinking the Americans lost the War of 1812, and it turns out there’s this creeping revisionism happening. Americans are saying maybe we didn’t lose. Maybe we won it,†Mr. Coupland told a crowd of onlookers gathered to see his first permanent installation.
A spokesperson for the U.S. consulate in Toronto had no comment on the monument, but said the U.S. government is committed to freedom of speech.
People laughed out loud as a white tarp was pulled away, and the gold and silver toy soldiers revealed. The standing soldier is dressed as a member of the 1813 Royal Newfoundland Regiment; the soldier on its backside is a member of the 16th U.S. Infantry Regiment. “I wanted to come up with an elegant and simple way of saying no, the British won,†said Mr. Coupland.
The Canadian and American disconnect over what happened during the War of 1812, when American troops invaded what was then a British colony, only to be pushed backwards, has become apparent as the two camps plan to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the three-year war.
Connie Barrone, the site manager of the Sackets Harbor state historical park in northern New York, had in a previous interview with the National Post declared the American troops victorious. But today, she applauded Toronto for its “strong†monument.
In an e-mail, she wrote that “historical or aesthetic interpretation must be made by the viewer.â€
“Depending on ones’ point of historical interpretation, the figures could be reversed, for example representing the Battle of York, or the figures might both be standing “eyeball to eyeball†when interpreting the War of 1812,†she wrote. The Battle of York is considered by U.S. historians to be an important American victory; a press kit for yesterday’s event remembered it differently: “The Americans burned York in retaliation and left.â€
Mr. Coupland said the monument is not meant to rub Americans’ noses in their loss — rather “gently†remind people of what actually happened during the War of 1812 “because history is a fluid notion and it can be rewritten.â€
Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone said he is not worried about offending American tourists.
“It’s really a statement about the nature of war, as much as about the War of 1812,†Mr. Pantalone said after the launch. “It’s not in my personal interpretation, it would not be that one side won and one side lost, it’s just that both sides would be affected by it, and both sides moved on.â€
Also at the unveiling was former governor-general Adrienne Clarkson, who called the sculpture a “wonderful thing, by not only a great visual artist, but writer.â€
The two soldiers are made of styrofoam over a steel armature, then blanketed with a resin hardcoat. They were built in Calgary, and transported on an open air flatbed truck to Toronto. The Monument to the War of 1812 cost about $500,000, and was commissioned by Malibu Investments, which developed the Malibu at Harbourfront. The sculpture is located on its front steps.
Toronto historian Ron Fletcher, who was at the unveiling, said his first reaction was that the monument was comical. Then he worried if it trivialized the war.
But he noted that the plaque attached to the monument describes “two abandoned two soldiers.â€
“Now that you see the word abandoned you get a little sympathy towards them, which is a different attitude than, isn’t’ this disrespectful,†said Mr. Fletcher, who is working on a book about the War of 1812. “I kind of like controversial art bcause it makes you think. A lot of war memorials don’t make you think ... what does the War of 1812 mean to me?â€

Back