Toronto 645 Yonge | 280m | 76s | KingSett Capital | AS + GG

I wasn't saying it was like a box at all, by the way; I was saying that, as a departure from the box motif, I think it's an awkward attempt.

Toronto Model 10-21-22 645 Yonge.png

Yes, I do not mind this little retail atrium at all. I do not think it will "suck the life out of Yonge St." In fact, it could do just the opposite if the retail is unique enough (and people are looking to get out of the cold or heat). It looks like a decent space....that still contains the same amount of retail that would exist if there was no atrium. I do not see the dangers and I like the potential upside.

But I have serious doubts that this will get built as proposed. We have seen this (value engineered) movie before.

The rendering shows ugly modern picture windows on the corner heritage building. The windows should be restored to the original.

Not all towers have to be supertalls to look its place. This tower if built as is will be taller than One Bloor East. But that's not what's really important here...rather its shape and design will be more the talk of the town, even if it ended being half of its proposed height. (Hopefully that won't happen, lol.)

...plus we're already getting a supertall on the south west corner of Bloor & Yonge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all towers have to be supertalls to look its place. This tower if built as is will be taller than One Bloor East. But that's not what's really important here...rather its shape and design will be more the talk of the town, even if it ended being half of its proposed height. (Hopefully that won't happen, lol.)

...plus we're already getting a supertall on the south west corner of Bloor & Yonge.
A sizable part of this forum seems to think buildings might as well not be built unless they're supertalls. I feel like every project in the upper 200ms is endlessly beset by whining that "if only it was over 300m", as if height is the only value in architectural design.

Also worth noting, probably way less than 5% of the people who end up living in this building will care at all if it's a supertall or not.

I mean if it where 300 metre plus of aluminum backed grey spandrel, I suspect a sizable part of the forum would want to burn it with fire. So I agree, there's also a "careful what you wish for" component about this debate.

Back