News   Apr 25, 2024
 242     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 456     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

I don't really see why we need to have them on line 5 or 6. Plus i think they have already said that both them and the request stop buttons won't be in use. They will be making every stop and all of the doors will open at all stops.

On all of the streetcar routes you are supposed to use the button to open the doors but because people don't know that or are too stupid to understand that they usually open all of the doors.
I mean, who cares about passenger comfort, amiright?

I think the business case for keeping the heat inside the LRVs to reduce heating costs in the winter is a much more compelling case for why the consortium would lean towards button-activated doors. The profit is the motive, not necessary the rider.
I rather think this is a passenger comfort measure, and the energy savings are not that material.

After all that arguments, no one mention wear and tear as the biggest reason not to open all doors all day long. Probably better to open all doors during rush hour but not at 1am.

This would lead to lower MDBF as the doors will jam more frequent when they are used more often. The closer spacing definitely makes this worse than subways.

If the new streetcars had larger door open buttons that were more obvious, with signs, variable illumination, then they might have had sufficient take up by riders to rely on them.

If the new streetcars had larger door open buttons that were more obvious, with signs, variable illumination, then they might have had sufficient take up by riders to rely on them.
You're over thinking it, all they needed to do is put up "Press Button to Open Door" stickers around the door. It's not rocket science like they thought it was.

I think a lot of people are overthinking about having buttons to open doors, sure it's not nice to have to be blasted with cold air in the winter or hot air in the summer time but we should be thinking about people who may not be able to use it because of a disability. For example, how is a blind person supposed to know where it is to be able to board or get off, are they just supposed to ask someone to help them get off? What about someone who is in a wheelchair and can't reach it from their chair safely? Many of the things I listed don't seem to be thought of in Europe where it seems to be ok top have to have someone book in advance to have a ramp available for them at a station. Many of the accommodations we make for disabled people so that they can be as independent as possible seem to be ignored in other places outside of Canada and the US.

They were enabled in Kitchener until covid hit, and this Kitchenarian wants them back.
I just don't really get the point of them, it sounds like a good idea on paper but when you have people who don't want to use them or can't for various reasons why bother having them in the first place it's just one more thing to get broken.

You're over thinking it, all they needed to do is put up "Press Button to Open Door" stickers around the door. It's not rocket science like they thought it was.
I agree with you but there is a mcdonalds in barrie with 2 soda fountains next to eachother. There is a big sign OUT OF SERVICE USE MACHINE ON LEFT.

Everyone tries to use the broken one and takes a second till you hear OH, and they walk the 4 steps over

I think a lot of people are overthinking about having buttons to open doors, sure it's not nice to have to be blasted with cold air in the winter or hot air in the summer time but we should be thinking about people who may not be able to use it because of a disability. For example, how is a blind person supposed to know where it is to be able to board or get off, are they just supposed to ask someone to help them get off? What about someone who is in a wheelchair and can't reach it from their chair safely? Many of the things I listed don't seem to be thought of in Europe where it seems to be ok top have to have someone book in advance to have a ramp available for them at a station. Many of the accommodations we make for disabled people so that they can be as independent as possible seem to be ignored in other places outside of Canada and the US.
Blind people can't press buttons? I wonder how they cross the road.

I just don't really get the point of them, it sounds like a good idea on paper but when you have people who don't want to use them or can't for various reasons why bother having them in the first place it's just one more thing to get broken.
How do these people use elevators? Do you think they just stand around looking helpless until someone comes along and operates the elevator for them?

Or do you think elevators should just have all the floors 'pre-pressed' so people who don't feel like selecting their floor don't have to?

elf-will-ferrell.gif

Blind people can't press buttons? I wonder how they cross the road.

How do these people use elevators? Do you think they just stand around looking helpless until someone comes along and operates the elevator for them?

Or do you think elevators should just have all the floors 'pre-pressed' so people who don't feel like selecting their floor don't have to?

elf-will-ferrell.gif
Different circumstances for both of them an elevator isn't usually as crowded as public transit vehicles can be. Also with the button at a crosswalk you don't have to fight through a crowd to get to it.

Somethings to keep in mind we have had the new streetcars for almost 10 years now and we have also had buttons on GO train cars as well both of which don't get used offten by either agency so why would we start using them now?

Somethings to keep in mind we have had the new streetcars for almost 10 years now and we have also had buttons on GO train cars as well both of which don't get used offten by either agency so why would we start using them now?
Because Toronto exists in an alternate reality where global best practice does not apply.

I can accept that it makes sense for LRTs to make all stops (true for any grade separated vehicle) to avoid bunching. You're just wrong when it comes to the doors. There is no good reason to open them at every. single. stop. if no one is using the door at that stop. I can concede the point perhaps at major transfers where a high volume of turnover is expected.

I have used buses. I have to press the door to open it. Even dumb as rocks Ontarians apparently could figure it out.

Back