Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Great drone shots!

I'm guessing that was totally illegal right next to the airport, but sure offer a unique perspective.
No actually you're limited to 200 feet and can't approach any closer than Cherry, this is all built into the micro drone (under 250g of weight).

Last edited:
Really terrific photos. I don't know about others, but for the first time, I'm getting a clear and precise overview of the works as a whole and how everything comes together. Previously, it was just a new bridge here, a berm there, a new riverbed, the new Cherry St -- all very impressive and encouraging but piecemeal. Now it's "Wow!" These drone shots effectively put together the many pieces. Thank you!

What is the plan with the lakeshore bridges? I see they tore the south one out already, are they planning on rebuilding them? Adding bike lanes? Widening? Whats the plan?

Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 7.07.35 PM.png

Is the final plan to change EVERYTHING from the Keating Channel to the Shipping Channel? Or will the area sound of the new greened up Don River exit to the Shipping Channel still remain largely industrial? In other words are they still leaving everything up around Polson Street the way it is now? And then once you cross the Cherry Street Lift bridge (the big huge old one) that crosses the Shipping Channel does it definitely stay industrial?

Is the final plan to change EVERYTHING from the Keating Channel to the Shipping Channel? Or will the area sound of the new greened up Don River exit to the Shipping Channel still remain largely industrial? In other words are they still leaving everything up around Polson Street the way it is now? And then once you cross the Cherry Street Lift bridge (the big huge old one) that crosses the Shipping Channel does it definitely stay industrial?

No - the plan foresee mixed uses but those lands are privately owned so things will change according to their own timelime. The land south of the Shipping Channel will remain industrial in the foreseeable future.

AoD

Interesting. So while this quite extensive on the one hand, it's also quite limited on the other hand. And those folks in all those new condos will be living relatively close to some really heavy industry.

I guess we'll see how they deal with it, but the cement plant does have a huge number of trucks going in and out every day. The Redpath sugar plant co-exists with condos, but I don't think it has the same number of trucks.

I think we shouldn’t expect to see this area transformed into an idealized and supercharged version of Harbourfront in the next decade or so. While it will undoubtedly look pretty with the riverside parks and hopefully some decent architecture, the industrial buildings will continue to exist for decades to come, until they feel the need to relocate.

This is in the WT FARM Committee Report for their September meeting:

Commissioners Street re-opening: Delayed due to utility coordination and subsequent required redesign. Commissioners Street is to be opened May 24, 2023 instead of by March 31, 2023.

Back