News   Mar 28, 2024
 101     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 564     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 358     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Up until now, our only point of comparison in Toronto was our legacy streetcar network. So these light rail vehicles move a lot faster than I was anticipating.

The suburban environment has far fewer operational obstacles than downtown. This means fewer traffic lights, fewer turning/parking cars blocking the LRVs path, and fewer pedestrians getting in the way. The trains get up to speed quickly, and maintain that speed for some distance. That's not true of the downtown streetcars.

In hindsight, this are really obvious observations, but seeing it in person is really something.

I'm still concerned about transit signal priority, but even without that, I can't see anyone wanting to go back to the days of riding the bus. On the contrary, I'd imagine that transit riders elsewhere on Finch will be pretty disheartened that the FWLRT hasn't reached them yet.

I'm eager to see what an expanded suburban light rail network could do for Toronto. Alongside RER and subway expansions, I'd imagine that an expanded light rail network would make suburban public transport a rather pleasant experience.
This also makes me feel a lot better about Hurontario LRT, which has an even simpler operating environment and 1 km stop spacing. I was concerned that not elevating that route was a mistake.

This also makes me feel a lot better about Hurontario LRT, which has an even simpler operating environment and 1 km stop spacing. I was concerned that not elevating that route was a mistake.
Well, we already know that HuLRT is planned to operate at about 30 kph average speed. 40 minute time to travel the 20km end to end. Unless they were being pessimistic in their announced service plan, which I doubt.

Or because the subway is also grey/stainless steel/without a colour scheme

For sure, that's their way of thinking. They believe the transit riders are mildly stupid.

Subway trains are grey and fast. Therefore, transit riders should assume grey LRT trains are fast.

They didn't take into account the difference in the operating environment. Shiny silver subway trains in a brightly lit subway station look sleek and modern. Grey and white LRT trains on the grey and white winter street will a) look exceedingly boring, and b) be much harder to spot from the distance than if they were brightly colored. The latter matters in the street context, as the riders might want to walk faster and catch the approaching train at the stop.

On the positive side, it is much cheaper to repaint the trains than to build the LRT line. With the tracks and all infrastructure in place, they can change the color scheme in 10 years or so, when the trains need repainting.

For sure, that's their way of thinking. They believe the transit riders are mildly stupid.

Subway trains are grey and fast. Therefore, transit riders should assume grey LRT trains are fast.

I’m not sure the riders’ intelligence have any bearing on this discussion.

It is amazing how you can put a bunch of professionals in a conference room with a consultant, and suddenly mythical concepts emerge that describe in great detail the minutest aspects of the behaviour of angels perched on the head of a pin.

Add glossy paper, some good graphics, and a powerpoint deck, and these ideas take on an aura of transcendental truth.

Once these trams are wrapped with advertising, their paint scheme is irrelevant. Especially in bad weather.

The only thing the riders will care about is the blue lights that indicate their ride is approaching.

- Paul

They didn't take into account the difference in the operating environment. Shiny silver subway trains in a brightly lit subway station look sleek and modern. Grey and white LRT trains on the grey and white winter street will a) look exceedingly boring, and b) be much harder to spot from the distance than if they were brightly colored. The latter matters in the street context, as the riders might want to walk faster and catch the approaching train at the stop.

On the positive side, it is much cheaper to repaint the trains than to build the LRT line. With the tracks and all infrastructure in place, they can change the color scheme in 10 years or so, when the trains need repainting.
The problem is the execution I think. It’s not metallic or reflective enough to achieve the same effect. It’s also just a small stripe. All over reflective silver like Lyon would have looked a lot better.

Citadis-Tramway.jpg

Last edited:
When is the scheduled end date for this project, with Eglinton taking another year to complete, will this line be finished before Eglinton??

When is the scheduled end date for this project, with Eglinton taking another year to complete, will this line be finished before Eglinton??
probably, the pace of construction on this line has really picked up over the past few months

the project is scheduled to be completed in 2023 (probably near the end of the year, although I believe substantial completion will be achieved by q1/q2 with the rest of the year dedicated to testing)

Finch will open before Eglinton. This is my bet. Yonge and Eglinton station is having complex engineering issues. It was a huge mistake by Crosslinx to start the main interchange station so late. I suspect it may open late 2023 but more likely in March 2024 is my unprofessional prediction.

probably, the pace of construction on this line has really picked up over the past few months

the project is scheduled to be completed in 2023 (probably near the end of the year, although I believe substantial completion will be achieved by q1/q2 with the rest of the year dedicated to testing)
I don’t think Q1 is possible, but the end of Q2 for sure is. Finch also won’t undergo the same rigorous testing which Eglinton will, as it is a simpler project.

The problem is the execution I think. It’s not metallic or reflective enough to achieve the same effect. It’s also just a small stripe. All over reflective silver like Lyon would have looked a lot better.

Citadis-Tramway.jpg
It looks like an ugly version of a Beluga whale.

If condo developers in Toronto were asked to build a sculpture of beluga whale, this is exactly what they would make.

Back