Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

This isn't affordable housing, it's a luxury building for millionaires. People who bought these units probably own multiple homes, they can cook big dinners at their weekend home. They will be eating out the majority of the time. They have thousands of restaurants to pick from. This building reminds me of something you would see in Manhattan. Lots of buildings in NYC have micro kitchens. If you can afford to live in Manhattan, you can afford to eat out.
Yes, but maybe you want to live in Manhattan because it's central, while still being able to make your own dinners.

I'm no longer living with my parents, and there's lots of things that I CAN do, if I go back to my parents, but it would certainly be nice if I had those same options available to me where I live.

It's not a perfect comparison but even if you are a millionaire, maybe you don't want to congregate with all your friends 2+ hours north in Muskoka. Maybe you want to invite people over for a dinner at a nice central downtown location. Maybe you were willing to spend a little extra money to buy a unit here for convenience but arent a multi millionaire with several other homes.

My point is spaces should be comfortably livable unless explicitly meant to be otherwise. A luxury unit like this should have a kitchen at least with some decent counter space and storage.

Yeah man, my hired help wouldn't be happy at all about a kitchen like that. They might even unionize.

When my daughter was condo shopping (she cooks), she called these “kitchens for ants” 🤣. She ended up buying in an older building with a fantastic full kitchen.

Yup, gotta buy pre 1995 to have a good kitchen.

Wow I kinda wish I hadn't attached that (generic) kitchen pic... the thread turned into "Forma: luxury for those who eat in restaurants anyways".🥩

Obviously any one who can afford a place here can drop in an island with cupboard space ... 🤑.

(Note: upon closer examination, the same kitchen does come with this option at extra cost):

forma-coleman.jpg

Last edited:
Not to drag this Real Estate conversation out any further...

...but wouldn't that be standard for single person units? I presume kitchen would increase in generousness with unit occupant proportion? Or am I being too clueless with my understanding of how that works? >.<

Really? Everyone is being so dramatic. The kitchen are totally workable. There's everything you need to cook a nice meal. I've lived in smaller.

The interior spaces look stunning and the building is beautiful. I'd rather a small kitchen in an incredible building vs. a large kitchen in a mediocre building.

If you want your Markham style kitchen so you have room for your deep fryer, simply don't buy here and move to the suburbs.

Really? Everyone is being so dramatic. The kitchen are totally workable. There's everything you need to cook a nice meal. I've lived in smaller.

The interior spaces look stunning and the building is beautiful. I'd rather a small kitchen in an incredible building vs. a large kitchen in a mediocre building.

If you want your Markham style kitchen so you have room for your deep fryer, simply don't buy here and move to the suburbs.
With due respect, I presume you are saying this from someone who doesn't cook very much, doesn't have a large family to cook for and/or doesn't play host to a lot of guests? I mean, I don't either...so this kitchen may border on ideal for me. But I am only concluding that in the anecdote.

With due respect, I presume you are saying this from someone who doesn't cook very much, doesn't have a large family to cook for and/or doesn't play host to a lot of guests? I mean, I don't either...so this kitchen may border on ideal for me. But I am only concluding that in the anecdote.
I would cook every night with my partner and had a kitchen with a similar scale. And yes, I had guests and hosted get togethers. I had no issues. Were there times I had to be creative? 100%, but that creativity didn't extend to forcing me to only eat takeout.

North America's obsession with "more" = "better" is beyond me. Give me quality over quantity any day of the week.

Last edited:
Wow I kinda wish I hadn't attached that (generic) kitchen pic... the thread turned into "Forma: luxury for those who eat in restaurants anyways".🥩

Obviously any one who can afford a place here can drop in an island with cupboard space ... 🤑.

(Note: upon closer examination, the same kitchen does come with this option at extra cost):

View attachment 427477

For me, luxury is about not having to compromise or about keeping the compromises to a minimum. Can you make a small kitchen work? Sure. There's no reason to denigrate it.

But I'm not seeing luxury when there's little room, run-of-the-mill finishes, and a generic (or missing) backsplash. There should be some Gehry-designed feature in every unit like a faucet, mosaic, light fixture, ornamental panel, or all of the above.

Alternatively, offer some Gehry-designed furniture. Unique and exclusive interior design is a luxury feature.

I would cook every night with my partner and had a kitchen with a similar scale. And yes, I had guests and hosted get togethers. I had no issues. Were there times I had to be creative? 100%, but that creativity didn't extend to forcing me to only eat takeout.

North America's obsession with "more" = "better" is beyond me. Give me quality over quantity any day of the week.
While I appreciate that you at the barest minimum covered two out of the three issues I raised, you are still coming off from an anecdotal position of "whatever works for you, must work for everyone else." And the barest, as I am not sure you really consider your dealing with small kitchens as ideal in that.

Furthermore, I am pretty sure the issues here are much more complicated than "more = better". As this is not an case of quality versus quantity, but rather one of practicality and ergonomics.

While I appreciate that you at the barest minimum covered two out of the three issues I raised, you are still coming off from an anecdotal position of "whatever works for you, must work for everyone else." And the barest, as I am not sure you really consider your dealing with small kitchens as ideal in that.

Furthermore, I am pretty sure the issues here are much more complicated than "more = better". As this is not an case of quality versus quantity, but rather one of practicality and ergonomics.
I am simply speaking from my own experiences and trying to show an angle from another perspective.

In the end of the day, if someone doesn’t like the minimal and small kitchens offered here, they’re not being forced to buy here.

I am simply speaking from my own experiences and trying to show an angle from another perspective.

In the end of the day, if someone doesn’t like the minimal and small kitchens offered here, they’re not being forced to buy here.
You make it almost sound like kitchens are optional... 🙀

Back