Toronto Time and Space Condos | 101.8m | 29s | Pemberton | Wallman Architects

TS3_1.jpg

First, I'll admit I'm the epitome of a layman in terms of opinion on buildings.

That said, I feel like many of the more extreme hate posts must be from people who don't actually live in the area, or physically walk by this. It's a larger build yes, but certainly not out of context with what else is happening around it when the average person sees it in person. The frontage on Esplanade absolutey fits with the area. And I'm confused about the alarm people express when discussing the Front and Sherbourn intersection, because it absolutely fits there too ... especially when you look at what is under construction or coming soon.

That said, I feel like many of the more extreme hate posts must be from people who don't actually live in the area, or physically walk by this. It's a larger build yes, but certainly not out of context with what else is happening around it when the average person sees it in person. The frontage on Esplanade absolutey fits with the area. And I'm confused about the alarm people express when discussing the Front and Sherbourn intersection, because it absolutely fits there too ... especially when you look at what is under construction or coming soon.
So true!

There are two very clear points of view on this project. There are those (most of whom agree that it will provide much needed housing) who think it is a total mess that could, and should, have been better designed so that it fitted better into the St Lawrence neighbourhood. Then there are those (many of whom appear to be purchasers/investors or developers) who think it's the best building ever. I fall into the group who think it could have been SO much better and the developers could still have made lots of money. It's not done yet but it is certainly not looking any less ghastly - particularly on the Front & Sherbourne sides and I ventured down Princess the other day and that too is 'somewhat' overwhelmed. As the north side towers rise, it is clear that the POPS courtyard will get VERY little sunlight - I am afraid it will not be the neighbourhood asset that was envisaged.

That said, it's true that St. Lawrence in general has a lot of ugly, hulking buildings. None of them quite as hulking as this one, though.

Many are angry because they live in the area, and this building is introducing a level of density they don’t want or are blocking their previously less obstructed view.

NIMBYism downtown style in a way.

The building was designed to look like a building wall of several different structures connected with each other. And to your points fit into the area quite well. I would prefer this over a 60 story point tower at the same location to achieve the same density. This continues to be one of my favorites projects in the city.

I think a big issue is how poorly it handles its mass, the attempts to break up the volumes are quite clumsy. Compare this to Mirvish Village which is similarly large development, with heights up to 26s, and is far more successful at breaking up the visual mass. You wouldn't need anywhere near 60s here, but in this case some taller but slimmer volumes with more breathing room would create a far less hulking structure.

I don't even think there's a mid-block connection in this thing, it's a very hostile structure.

I think a big issue is how poorly it handles its mass, the attempts to break up the volumes are quite clumsy. Compare this to Mirvish Village which is similarly large development, with heights up to 26s, and is far more successful at breaking up the visual mass. You wouldn't need anywhere near 60s here, but in this case some taller but slimmer volumes with more breathing room would create a far less hulking structure.

I don't even think there's a mid-block connection in this thing, it's a very hostile structure.
density is lower at Mirvish village. also i think land is less exp there which is why they can have more parks.

i think you should compare this to the well. both are downtown downtown locations. or even sugar wharf.

density is lower at Mirvish village. also i think land is less exp there which is why they can have more parks.

i think you should compare this to the well. both are downtown downtown locations. or even sugar wharf.
If you are comparing T&S to the Well (or Sugar Wharf) , I fear that T&S will come off VERY VERY poorly. It is honestly hard to see how both could appear in the same sentence :->

If you are comparing T&S to the Well (or Sugar Wharf) , I fear that T&S will come off VERY VERY poorly. It is honestly hard to see how both could appear in the same sentence :->
what is so special about sugar wharf.....two towers and a courtyard. It is higher but the integration with the city lack. There is nothing there. st lawerence at least has biagio

have you seen daniel's lighthouse? i have lots of stuff was poorly made there, even though it is daniels!
  • putting the waterfall countertops on the wrong side.....
  • so many uber eats and other food delivery people in the elevators
  • venders at street level aren't good....(no $$$$ restaurants), just some buritto shop
  • microwave not range mounted

Back