News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 851     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Parkdale Village

A proposal for an additional storey to be built at 100 Sorauren Ave, the SW corner with Pearson Ave and 2 blocks north of Queen West.

The building was formerly the location of Jessie's Cafe.

100 SORAUREN AVE
Ward 4: Parkdale-High Park

PROPOSED RENOVATION & 3rd STOREY ADDITION TO EXISTING 2 STOREY COMMERCIAL / RESIDENTIAL BUILDING INCLUDING 2ND STOREY GREEN ROOF & 3RD FLOOR TERRACE WITH EXTERIOR PERGOLA STRUCTURE. PROPOSED NEW 1 STOREY GARAGE TO REPLACE EXISTING ANCILLARY BUILDING.

---------
Google street view with only images of the block taken in 2015, when the cafe was still around:

View attachment 384326

^ Docs posted for the above:

sorau.JPG

Last edited:
A Toronto Star article about the art deco clock on the historical building at the SW corner of Queen West & Cowan:

The closing note:

STATUS: I sent a note to the city, asking if there’s a plan to fix it, and got the following reply: “The city of Toronto’s capital plan, where the repair of the Art Deco clock would be covered, is based on a prioritization approach, informed by the assessed condition of our assets, legislated obligations we have to maintain buildings (i.e. health and safety related) and the city’s strategic priorities.

“The city’s capital plan does not currently include repair of the Art Deco clock, but it will be investigated and considered in light of other pressing city requirements to keep city buildings safe, functional and in compliance with legislated requirements.”

That’s quite a mouthful, but whatever has stopped the clock may not be so onerous and expensive that it needs to be a line item in the city budget. It could be a cheap and easy fix, but nobody will know until a contractor is sent to check it out.

Tenny's, a live music bar, has opened in the former Gianna's Detroit Style Pizza spot at 1554 Queen Street West. The name is a nod to the Tennessee Tavern which was previously there before Gianna's:

Some interior photos of the former Stones Place bar and music venue at 1255 Queen St W that's being listed for sale:

19 BROCK AVE
Ward 4: Parkdale-High Park

To alter the existing two-and-one-half-storey rowhouse dwelling by constructing a rear three-storey addition with a second floor terrace and a third floor balcony, rear exit stairs for each floor, a front basement walkout.

------------
band.JPG
band2.JPG

Current view of the corner of Brock & Noble:

band3.JPG

I wonder if that means they are going to do another one of those $10 'Cheap Eats' sections in the magazine.

I went through the last one which has ?? 100 entries; and probably tried a dozen places I might have otherwise overlooked.

I hope so. Inevitably, there will be a bunch of more predictable pizza/hot dog/burger suggestions. But it's always refreshing to see some understated places on there. I'd used to go to Loga's Corner in Parkdale a few years ago as a late night haunt for some Tibetan momo's.

I hope so. Inevitably, there will be a bunch of more predictable pizza/hot dog/burger suggestions. But it's always refreshing to see some understated places on there. I'd used to go to Loga's Corner in Parkdale a few years ago as a late night haunt for some Tibetan momo's.

That was one of the spots I tried. They also had a couple of samosa places; a couple of sausage spots, a Kofta place, some sandwich spots, some soup spots, it was actually well curated list.

Tenny's, a live music bar, has opened in the former Gianna's Detroit Style Pizza spot at 1554 Queen Street West. The name is a nod to the Tennessee Tavern which was previously there before Gianna's:

That seems to be the new cursed spot now, as Tenny's has already closed down after about 2 months:

Back