Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Why did it close?

I'm not sure if an official reason was given.

But in practice, I feel comfortable saying very low traffic after GO slashed service and there were more lockdown measures and return to work was delayed played into it..........

The East Wing is officially open!
59A3A08F-B749-4D9D-BBC3-17D68E5A2A3C.jpeg
F327150D-B066-474A-B3DD-EDDA9C0423E1.jpeg
80504BE0-E828-4852-BFD8-726FADA88CA3.jpeg
4CD02782-727A-4E35-BBFD-72D985A4BEF4.jpeg

We have discussed this before but last I heard the artists were unable to travel here to erect their winning design due to covid. That was about 2 years ago. I wrote to the City's Manager for the Station with no result, I have now contacted the Mayor - if I hear anything I will post it. After almost 10 years the art really ought to be here, I assume the City paid for it already.

This from 2013 https://www.canadianarchitect.com/w...tos-walks-and-gardens-public-art-competition/

Winner announced in Toronto’s Walks and Gardens public art competition​

4de9d5ba4ee8645e66cac73401f9822d
By Canadian Architect On Jun 19, 2013

The City of Toronto has announced the winner of the Walks and Gardens Trust public art competition.
LAb[au], an internationally renowned art studio based in Brussels, Belgium, has received the opportunity to create and showcase a 70-metre permanent and interpretive art installation in commemoration of the Walks and Gardens Trust. The installation will be prominently featured at Union Station – Canada’s busiest and most important multimodal passenger transportation hub – on the north part of the pedestrian walkway under the Front Street pedestrian bridge.
The Walks and Gardens was created in 1818 to establish a 30-acre strip of land along Toronto’s previous shoreline, now Front Street, from Berkley to Peter Streets, to provide a public walk or mall on the land for the benefit and pleasure of residents. As the lakefront was being filled in for the railroad, the Walks and Gardens Trust was created in 1853, using the sale and lease of these lands to create and enhance parkland across Toronto. A portion of Union Station sits on the original Trust lands.
“This installation will engage the thousands of pedestrians traversing the walkway, providing an exciting attraction while celebrating Toronto’s heritage,” said Councillor Norm Kelly (Ward 40 Scarborough Agincourt), Chair of the Government Management Committee.
“The Walks and Gardens Trust was intended to create beautiful public spaces for the enjoyment of all,” said Councillor Pam McConnell (Ward 28 Toronto Centre-Rosedale). “As an incredible piece of art, the winning art installation will achieve this goal by transforming an important public space into a stunning focal point. Torontonians and tourists will enjoy walking through and revisiting this garden of light and sound for years to come.”

LAb[au]’s design, entitled “fLUX,” centres on the theme of motion and people flow. As a metaphor for the Trust, this elegant and sophisticated installation incorporates light and sound to create a contemporary and tranquil experience – like a garden of light – in a busy, urban space.
“fLUX, which is LAb[au]’s first North American permanent installation, will be a significant contribution to contemporary art and Toronto’s public art collection,” said Justin Ridgeway, an independent public art consultant hired to manage the artist selection process.
The City of Toronto launched the public art competition in January. Nearly 40 artists from around the world submitted expressions of interest, a number that was narrowed down to five artists last week. On June 17, a five-person selection panel, chosen for their expertise and knowledge of contemporary art, new media and local issues, selected the winning entry.
Members of the public were encouraged to offer input into the five finalists’ designs via a comment box at Union Station or online. The public’s feedback helped the selection panel make its final decision.
The artwork, which will be installed in the latter part of 2014, is expected to be enjoyed by the 250,000 passengers and visitors who come to Union Station daily, a number that will rise considerably over the next two decades.
More information on the public art competition and the Walks and Gardens Trust is available at
www.toronto.ca/union_station/walksandgardens.htm.

How in God's name are they choosing who goes where.

The overall mix is curated; but I imagine the prize spots go to those willing to shell out the $$

This particular nail bar seems to be aimed at the high-end market, and will presumably price accordingly.

Reactions: PL1
Be that as it may, with the exception of Sephora and TD I don't see many places lasting very long.

I would disagree, I was with some friends who aren't downtown regularly, yesterday, and the excitement from one about Decathalon opening was palpable. "Hey that's where I got all my camping stuff when I was in Europe!"

The LCBO will do fine; the Japanese Coffee shop will do a good trade if they live up to their reputation.

Not every retailer will make it, that's true everywhere including The Eaton Centre and Yorkdale; but I think most will be fine.

Last edited:
I would disagree, I was with some friends who aren't downtown regularly, yesterday, and the excitement from one about Decathalon opening was palpable. "Hey that's where I got all my camping stuff when I was in Europe!"

The LCBO will do fine; the Japanese Coffee shop will do a good trade if they live up their reputation.

Not every retailer will make it, that's true everyone including The Eaton Centre and Yorkdale; but I think most will be fine.

What would have been good in there is a Shoppers Drug Mart or Rexall

What would have been good in there is a Shoppers Drug Mart or Rexall

You'll see the final mix soon enough.

Neither of those chains would fit in the unit being taken by Almond Nail Bar; you'd barely fit the Pharmacy counter.

@DSC any news on the Chandelier for the Great Hall?

To me, that's the single biggest missing item

That and the obnoxiously terrible ceilings in the Front St. Promenade.
The Great Hall floor tiles and the lighting are still, I am told, on the to do list, maybe in the fall or next spring.

The ceilings on lower level were promised for Q3 2022 so they have 8 weeks!

I hope that dentist office fails and relocates somewhere else, it does not need to be in the busiest and most prominent hallway in the station. Everything there should be geared to the average commuter, traveller, or tourist, which pretty much everything else but the dentist and nail place does.

Last edited:

Back