Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

This is exciting and will make an impact. Great to see!! I just hope they allocate some of those funds to fixing up the exterior as well. It could use some sprucing up.

This is exciting and will make an impact. Great to see!! I just hope they allocate some of those funds to fixing up the exterior as well. It could use some sprucing up.

i feel like their last focus with regards to these funds they've allocated is the exterior. they're trying to spruce up the game day and viewing experience. they can easily spend their total budget on the inside (which makes sense and has the most impact). The grounds outside can use some work but there's tons of stadium exteriors that are miserable. The area around it is nice though (Front St, Bremner Blvd) as they all have tons to do.

i feel like their last focus with regards to these funds they've allocated is the exterior. they're trying to spruce up the game day and viewing experience. they can easily spend their total budget on the inside (which makes sense and has the most impact). The grounds outside can use some work but there's tons of stadium exteriors that are miserable. The area around it is nice though (Front St, Bremner Blvd) as they all have tons to do.

Also, don't forget and this is straight from Shapiro, they still plan on building a new stadium in 10-12 years or doing something much bigger in scale with this one, so doubt they're going to put much money into the exterior if that's the case.

Shapiro was pretty clear in the press conference that there will be no work on the exterior and all focus will be on 'game day' experiences for fans and enhancing the player experience with new weight room, family rooms, etc. He mentioned, of course, they looked at it and referenced a rendering they had internally even of blowing out the backside of the stadium to get more light in as well as exterior alterations but at the end of the day that is not feasible with the budget they have.

Reference the press conference, near the end, during the Q&A portion:

Shapiro also mentioned that the future could include an even larger scale renovation to the current building, and that exterior updates may be considered after this renovation is complete.

What we've seen so far is only Phase 1 - I still find it very hard to believe there's only going to be a decade of life left in this place after all that work is done.

While we question how it compares to other ballparks, Shapiro has mentioned more than once that the building is in great shape for its age. The infrastructure has plenty of life left in it.

Shapiro also mentioned that the future could include an even larger scale renovation to the current building, and that exterior updates may be considered after this renovation is complete.

What we've seen so far is only Phase 1 - I still find it very hard to believe there's only going to be a decade of life left in this place after all that work is done.

While we question how it compares to other ballparks, Shapiro has mentioned more than once that the building is in great shape for its age. The infrastructure has plenty of life left in it.
They aren’t moving if they are investing in it with construction done in phases. The people who want a old school open air ball park with a city view to be world class and have atmosphere are going to have to accept reality.

So why does Shapiro keep implying the team might not be there long term?
Shapiro said in the press conference that once these upgrades are done, the Blue Jays will probably have a team working full time on the long term solution (be that a new stadium or far more extensive reno).

So why does Shapiro keep implying the team might not be there long term?
Keep pushing it down the road because there’s some fans who do want a open air stadium yet can’t seem to grasp the park is in the best location in the city and equally important it isn’t a priority in Rogers budget.

Shapiro taking lessons from my wife. Every year I want to put a pool in. Every year my wife finds a project to do and the pool gets pushed down the line. Don’t worry one day it’s coming. Sure it is. When I move to the retirement home.

Last edited:
.. you can easily fit a new stadium south of the existing one by getting rid of the water pump (which is prolly end of life in the late 2030s?) and constructing it like Cincinatti's new ballpark was.

.. you can easily fit a new stadium south of the existing one by getting rid of the water pump (which is prolly end of life in the late 2030s?) and constructing it like Cincinatti's new ballpark was.

We been down that rabbit hole many times on this thread it is simply not possible given the space restrictions. Short of violating the laws of physics or expropriating a condo building (or two) it will not work.

A new stadium would either need to be built on the exact same spot or elsewhere but it cannot be built south of the current stadium without high costs and other related issues.

We been down that rabbit hole many times on this thread it is simply not possible given the space restrictions. Short of violating the laws of physics or expropriating a condo building (or two) it will not work.

A new stadium would either need to be built on the exact same spot or elsewhere but it cannot be built south of the current stadium without high costs and other related issues.

.. then how did Cincinnati manage it hmm

1659129220207.png

Also - they could always go open air for the next stadium and just build the new one around the Rogers Centre.

It's not going to happen. As has been said many times here before, the Roundhouse and infrastructure back there means there is no way to do what Cincinnati did. If they could, they'd probably be doing it now instead of this renovation. The bind they're in is that they have a perfect location and no room to rebuild on site. It's a "good problem to have, 'in a way. But they've got challenges for where to go next.

Back