News   Mar 28, 2024
 711     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 487     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 797     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Follow up: can some industry experts please tell me what the conduit running alongside the tracks is? The new piping is black (PVC), over the bridge it’s Steele and after being covered is brown.

Whats it’s purpose?

Follow up: can some industry experts please tell me what the conduit running alongside the tracks is? The new piping is black (PVC), over the bridge it’s Steele and after being covered is brown.

Whats it’s purpose?
Not an industry expert but I will assume RR signal/communication cabling. You also occasionally see municipal and telco cabling and even water lines if they have an easement.

Finally got around for a walkabout today and got some shots of the progressive of the double tracking and Second platform at Guelph Central.
Heading East from the old Dublin Street Crossing to the station…

Kinda weird, because in Google satellite view it appears that it was already double tracked from Dublin St to the station. I guess the old track bed and bridge just weren't good enough, although the south span they dropped appears to be of the same design and vintage as the north span they're still using. Metrolinx works in mysterious ways.

Kinda weird, because in Google satellite view it appears that it was already double tracked from Dublin St to the station. I guess the old track bed and bridge just weren't good enough, although the south span they dropped appears to be of the same design and vintage as the north span they're still using. Metrolinx works in mysterious ways.

There used to be a siding with the west switch in the weeds around Dublin, but that track was indeed old and beyond further use. GO did renew the east end of that siding, in the platform area, a number of years back. More recently, when they rebuilt the main line they tore out the west end switch so the siding became a stub track. The current work will eventually extend the stub all the way west to Hanlan.
Going even further back, there were once four tracks at the depot and two mainline tracks (for eastward and westward movements) all the way to the old Guelph Jct, .... the second track was downgraded from a main line in late 1962-early 1963, and later removed west of Dublin.
I can't speak to the condition of the bridges or how much these needed fixing.

- Paul

Key bits and bobs:

1658833374873.png

1658833415596.png

1658833440148.png
''

1658833504517.png

1658833521933.png

1658833592701.png

There's also some info on parks, plantings and the noisewall.

Has there ever been talk of extending the Railpath northward?

Yes it was part of the 2012 bikeways expansion program
2012 bikeway.png

the 2016 revision
2016 bikeways plan.png

and the TCRA 2018 Draft Trail Strategy

Draft Trail Strategy - Workbook (Nov 23, 2018).jpg

The 2012 plan has it continuing along Black Creek, while the TCRA seems to want to connect it to the Humber trails

Given the amount of GO construction projects I can't recall a similar situation. I guess with the proximity to the Credit River it's logical. Will read the study Paul posted. I wonder if a similar situation will arise for the proposed Silver Grade Separation, somewhere between the Credit River and the Mount Pleasant GO station.

Back