News   Apr 25, 2024
 21     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 317     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 632     0 

Eglinton East LRT | Metrolinx

If we're talking about fantasies, Line 4 should terminate at Rouge Hill GO, not Guildwood GO.
Yeah, rush hour only beyond Meadowvale. The 85A bus runs like every half hour during middays. You can run the train every 4 hours and still have seats for everyone assuming they wait that long.

Might as well extend it to Pickering Town Centre to give it a boost. Wasn't that Doug's idea?

I personally would rather see the Sheppard subway extended along Sheppard and up to MTC, and have the Eglinton East LRT terminate at Sheppard and Morningside.

Sheppard east of McCowan has very little density and, moreover, has no significant feeder routes. A few townhouses at Meadowvale, and the Zoo with its highly seasonal demand, that's about it.

If it is an LRT loop, Eglinton - Kingston - Morningside - back to the Sheppard line, then taking the Sheppard route makes sense because a) that avoids tunneling, and b) the MCF is near Sheppard.

But if we assume that the high-order Sheppard Line can go beyond McCowan, then perhaps it should target larger trip generators: Centennial Progress Campus, and UTSC. And if possible, connect to the Lakeshore East GO line to get the transfers from there.

Probably in the fantasy land, but if it can be funded then I would try something like this:

EE_And_Line_4.jpg

Assumes that Sheppard is converted to OL type technology, or another kind of mini metro. Then it can be combined with Eg East. It would run elevated along Eglinton, Kingston, and Mornigside. Segment next to Hwy 401 would be at grade, with a bridge over Neilson.

The dashed lines mark two possible ways of connecting to Sheppard: either via STC, or via Sheppard & McCowan. That segment might be partly tunneled.

This route would help with the Eglinton demand, and at the same time, connect Sheppard with Lakeshore East GO, and connect both Sheppard and LSE GO to UTSC and to the Centennial Progress campus.

Probably in the fantasy land, but if it can be funded then I would try something like this:

View attachment 408295

Assumes that Sheppard is converted to OL type technology, or another kind of mini metro. Then it can be combined with Eg East. It would run elevated along Eglinton, Kingston, and Mornigside. Segment next to Hwy 401 would be at grade, with a bridge over Neilson.

The dashed lines mark two possible ways of connecting to Sheppard: either via STC, or via Sheppard & McCowan. That segment might be partly tunneled.

This route would help with the Eglinton demand, and at the same time, connect Sheppard with Lakeshore East GO, and connect both Sheppard and LSE GO to UTSC and to the Centennial Progress campus.

If the Crosstown cannot continue through Kennedy I would suggest this. But, Metrolinx seems to claim that the city is incorrect, that the Crosstown can indeed continue as one line past Kennedy. If thats the case, I'd have the LRT go along and up to Morningside and Sheppard and meet the Sheppard subway.

But otherwise I really like this idea, I never thought to continue Line 2 to Malvern

If the Crosstown cannot continue through Kennedy I would suggest this. But, Metrolinx seems to claim that the city is incorrect, that the Crosstown can indeed continue as one line past Kennedy. If thats the case, I'd have the LRT go along and up to Morningside and Sheppard and meet the Sheppard subway.

I agree, connecting the Crosstown with Eg East would be of the greatest benefit.

But, that might be difficult, according to the post by Northern Light:

And, according to Steve Munro's article:

It seems Metrolinx didn't tell the whole story. The kept the alignment of the subway tunnel, hence what they said is technically true. But, they changed the design of the tunnel in a manner that obstructs the connection between the two light rail lines.

But otherwise I really like this idea, I never thought to continue Line 2 to Malvern

Honestly this is not my idea, I've seen it earlier on this forum. And I like it, but it is conditional on being able to extend Line 2 at-grade on the south edge of the rail corridor, and thus to avoid extensive tunneling.

That would substantially increase the cost compared to an in-median LRT as currently proposed. Highly unlikely to happen.

That would increase the cost, for sure. But less likely to happen? nobody knows.

Eglinton West had a lower ridership forecast than Eglinton East. However, Ford needed a subway-like project in the West, to match SSE in the East. And, voila - Eglinton West is getting a tunneled line.

In the next round, someone might need a project in the East to match something in the West ..

That would increase the cost, for sure. But less likely to happen? nobody knows.

Eglinton West had a lower ridership forecast than Eglinton East. However, Ford needed a subway-like project in the West, to match SSE in the East. And, voila - Eglinton West is getting a tunneled line.

In the next round, someone might need a project in the East to match something in the West ..

This is the first time im hearing Eg West had lower ridership potential than East. I've always heard it the other way around.

This is the first time im hearing Eg West had lower ridership potential than East. I've always heard it the other way around.
The City's early business case for Eglinton East has 41,600 daily riders in 2041 and Eglinton West's business case has 37,000 in 2041, including the Pearson Connection. I imagine EELRT's numbers are higher now with the additions of the Malvern connection and Sheppard portion as well. Both lines are about the same length as well, though the EWLRT has a long, very low ridership portion extending to Pearson north of Renforth.

Eglinton East's problem is that corridor ridership will be too high to really function well on an LRT, but too low for true metro. it's not a very good project as it doesn't improve network transit ridership significantly, reduce travel times, or much of anything other than providing a shiny new train.

The City's early business case for Eglinton East has 41,600 daily riders in 2041 and Eglinton West's business case has 37,000 in 2041, including the Pearson Connection. I imagine EELRT's numbers are higher now with the additions of the Malvern connection and Sheppard portion as well. Both lines are about the same length as well, though the EWLRT has a long, very low ridership portion extending to Pearson north of Renforth.

Eglinton East's problem is that corridor ridership will be too high to really function well on an LRT, but too low for true metro. it's not a very good project as it doesn't improve network transit ridership significantly, reduce travel times, or much of anything other than providing a shiny new train.

Highly doubt Eglinton East ridership would be too high for a 2-car in-median LRT. What are the peak numbers? Gotta be lowish, despite having good all day ridership. But just guessing.

Highly doubt Eglinton East ridership would be too high for a 2-car in-median LRT. What are the peak numbers? Gotta be lowish, despite having good all day ridership. But just guessing.

In the case where the EELRT is built, future travel demand modelling estimates that peak hour ridership in the busiest direction in the morning peak period would be approximately 7,400 riders on the LRT and on buses in the corridor.

The current recommended solution, 45 metre trains, would need a train every 2.5 minutes to handle that level of passenger demand. Which is right at the upper level of potential frequency for the corridor, if not higher.

I continue to believe the proper solution for East Scarborough is some kind of rapid transit connection to UTSC and a series of bus lanes on various routes to disperse demand and create better overall travel times than the EELRT would provide.

But as I brought up earlier, I wonder if that's considering the existence of SSE or not.

considering the projections were made in 2016, most likely, albeit probably based off the single-stop version of the subway.

Back