Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

What?? Do you not see all that green glass in South Core? Greenest city in the world.
Ya, but it's tall greenery ( and cheap ). Born in Toronto, I was always interested in the energy of the place and its alleged dynamic future, epitomized by the 60's architecture of the downtown starting with the black TD towers. I can only say it's depressing to see formulaic high rises going up everywhere, and on the cheap. The lowest common denominator rule extends from the planning departments to the ever cost - conscious builders.This city appears locked in a value -engineering mindset. No more iconic TD towers for you, Toronto. What will this all look like in 20 or 30 years ?

Ya, but it's tall greenery ( and cheap ). Born in Toronto, I was always interested in the energy of the place and its alleged dynamic future, epitomized by the 60's architecture of the downtown starting with the black TD towers. I can only say it's depressing to see formulaic high rises going up everywhere, and on the cheap. The lowest common denominator rule extends from the planning departments to the ever cost - conscious builders.This city appears locked in a value -engineering mindset. No more iconic TD towers for you, Toronto. What will this all look like in 20 or 30 years ?

I think that, generally speaking, high-rise residential tower design has improved since the 1960s in Toronto. Generic and inelegantly proportioned towers like these were the norm back then. They had no qualms about demolishing ornate Victorian and Edwardians homes to build those towers, either.

From the Tridel livecam:

image1.jpg

The other towers are being built very quickly.

But too far out of the DT core. It doesn't add to the DT core skyline.
True. But it makes Mirvish Village stand out even more as it forms its own cluster in Bloor / Bathurst. Besides, when the Raildeck Project is done, much of the Well won't be visible from the lakeshore. This is just from a skyline perspective of course. Like I said, I'm still excited about The Well, especially the galleria, and it's definitely above average (for Toronto) in terms of attention to details, materials used and public realms. But to me Mirvish Village has an edge architecturally.

Back