News   Mar 28, 2024
 170     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

2022 43rd Ontario general election (June 2, 2022)

Like I said, they are going to come off as the guys who deliver.

A while back I suggested that prioritizing targeted social programs over infrastructure that is universally used was a mistake for the LPO. This is playing out now.

People can complain all about the flip flops. And they are all accurate criticisms. None of it will matter to most middle class voters.

Doug Ford, champion of the LRT.

FFS, can't someone just make a commercial highlighting all of his flip-flops, cancel-uncancels and public funding squandered on fighting lawsuits? It's like nobody wants to touch any of those things.
You'd think the Liberals and NDP would have had all that in place since they'd had 4 years of material to work with, but...crickets.

I hope to see the Greens grow provincially.
IDK, I think the collapse of the Federal Greens and the negative feelings left by Annamie Paul will turn many off of the party.

In my riding, Toronto Centre I see a lot of anti-Ford posters taped to utility poles in Cabbagetown. This is so dumb, IMO, there are very few Ford voters in the riding. If you have the time and materials to do this, do it where there's a possible swing between the Cons and another party. That swing potential is not in Toronto Centre, so I can only assume this is a case of people marking up their own neighbourhood, seeking confirmation bias and crowd cheers instead of effective campaigning. My guess is we're going Orange again, though I'm voting Red... if only because Wong-Tam was the most useless councilor in my 25 years here.

I hope Wong-Tam loses too. It's the first time in my 20+ years living downtown T.O. where I've witnessed my neighbourhood get continually worse. And no I don't blame her for this as the issues are complex, and many are pandemic-related. BUT... she seriously doesn't want to have anything to do with addressing them. It doesn't fit her narratives. So, I'm going Green or Liberal.

IDK, I think the collapse of the Federal Greens and the negative feelings left by Annamie Paul will turn many off of the party.
But probably countered by some positive feelings engendered by Schreiner post-debate--that is, federal and provincial are two different matters. (Not enough to add any seats other than maybe Parry Sound-Muskoka, though.)

I hope Wong-Tam loses too. It's the first time in my 20+ years living downtown T.O. where I've witnessed my neighbourhood get continually worse. And no I don't blame her for this as the issues are complex, and many are pandemic-related. BUT... she seriously doesn't want to have anything to do with addressing them. It doesn't fit her narratives. So, I'm going Green or Liberal.
Pretty much same here. I'll probably go Green. I can't stomach the fact that every major party thinks that reducing gas prices is a positive policy goal.

Judging purely by the sign count, the results for Davenport will be:

1) NDP (Marit Stiles) with a possible majority
2) Liberal (Jerry Levitan) with a strong second-place finish
3) Ontario Party (Diti Coutinho) with a fairly strong third place (honestly surprised by the number of signs around here....shudder)
4) Communist (Jack Copple) [got a flyer yesterday too], and Green (Karen Stephenson), with 1 vote each

Conservatives have their usual strong campaign here of basically not existing.
I still think they're likely to finish third as a "paper" option. Ontario Party just wants to assert its presence (and how many of those signs are front yard signs? and how many were PPC federally?)

I still think they're likely to finish third as a "paper" option. Ontario Party just wants to assert its presence (and how many of those signs are front yard signs? and how many were PPC federally?)
They were all front yard signs, and one of them was from a recently PPC-signed house. Many others at Pelham Park TCH. Guessing they campaigned there and asked everyone to put up signs.

They’re not all complex. Our ravines and parks are filled with trash. The bike lanes have broken and shifted curbs and smashed stanchions. Home owners are pooling their money to hire private security to walk the beat in their neighbourhoods to deter vandalism and theft. A good councillor would be on the phone to parks maintenance, bike lane repair and TPS to get things like this looked at. It’s not rocket science, just keep the city clean and maintained and deter the baddies.

They were all front yard signs, and one of them was from a recently PPC-signed house. Many others at Pelham Park TCH. Guessing they campaigned there and asked everyone to put up signs.
FWIW PPC got 3% federally in '21, while the Cons got 10%. (But PPC supporters are the sort to "let it all hang out" even in write-off circumstances, I suppose.)

When it comes to Pelham Park, though, I wouldn't be surprised if past municipal Ford Nation canvassers are now doing the Ontario Party/New Blue beat, using previous sign locations. (A little like those who wore out shoe leather on behalf of Renata in '19.)

In Scarborough Southwest it is a 3 way race. Doly seemed to be the front runner at the start but now the PCs and Liberals are catching up. I would not be surprised if the riding went PC for the first time since Mike Harris.

That being said, sign counts do not mean anything. All it means, is that someone took a sign not that they are voting one way or another.
Now, re the Tory candidate, this is convenient...

They’re not all complex. Our ravines and parks are filled with trash. The bike lanes have broken and shifted curbs and smashed stanchions. Home owners are pooling their money to hire private security to walk the beat in their neighbourhoods to deter vandalism and theft. A good councillor would be on the phone to parks maintenance, bike lane repair and TPS to get things like this looked at. It’s not rocket science, just keep the city clean and maintained and deter the baddies.
It does seem like our councillor has spent her time over the last few months lobbying for something other than her current position, rather than actually being visible and trying to address the ward's problems. I wonder what might have happened?

I won’t go Liberal — I’m still bitter about our last Liberal MP and I feel they don’t really care about Toronto Centre except as a safe place to park a favoured insider. But I really don’t feel like the NDP central party has earned my vote though I really liked Suze Morrison and some other newly elected MPPs.

Yeah, I feel KWT lost the passion for her job and it showed the last two years. The pandemic really exasperated the problems here, and while I can’t blame her for a lot of those, she’s been invisible lately. She’d probably be okay at Queen’s Park, but in any event it’s good to get fresh blood at City Hall.

Yeah, I feel KWT lost the passion for her job and it showed the last two years. The pandemic really exasperated the problems here, and while I can’t blame her for a lot of those, she’s been invisible lately. She’d probably be okay at Queen’s Park, but in any event it’s good to get fresh blood at City Hall.
If she's lost the passion and has been invisible, why would she be ok at Queen's Park rather than City Hall?

If she's lost the passion and has been invisible, why would she be ok at Queen's Park rather than City Hall?

Because that’d be more her thing actually. Queen’s Park is more about pushing for policy change than the minute of local issues.

I’m not saying we should reward her by sending her to Queen’s Park, it’s just that it’s probably be a better fit than council.

I will give her credit for quitting her council seat at least, unlike her nemesis DMW or Mikey Stirpe.

Back