News   May 03, 2024
 282     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 382     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 814     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
if they do build anything on the s.w. corner, I hope they will keep the facade of the existing building - I think it has good street presence.

I've never really paid much attention to the Xerox building right next to 1 Bloor. But now that that section has been demolished it really stands out. I kinda like it. What's the consensus around here on this neighbour of 1 Bloor?

Anybody happen to have the original plan for this zone by Kolter? I couldn't find it online... I don't know how long the city keeps these documents online... It was a 60 storey building with a retail podium ... It was approved by the city in 2003, but Kolter decided not to go ahead and instead sold the land to Bazis.

^

28toronto-oneblooreast-old.jpg

I like Kolter as a builder... and although they have moved their operations to Florida, their roots are in Toronto. Before changing its name to Kolter, it was known as Canada Square and it was mainly a commercial builder... The Canadian Tire building at Yonge and Eglinton was built by Canada Square... hence the name.
I would have liked to see them more invloved in the Toronto residential market. Any idea why this project was abandoned?

Here is a different proposal by Burka Architects for Bazis... I actually prefer this to the Varacalli

http://www.urbandb.com/canada/ontario/toronto/1_bloor_east/

...well, given what a boneheaded decision moving their operations to florida on the eve of the US property crash was, I wouldn't be surprised if we see them back here soon.

Here is a different proposal by Burka Architects for Bazis... I actually prefer this to the Varacalli
rendering_1_bloor_east_2205.jpg

I certainly like Kolter's proposal and Burka's first proposal way more than Bazis' current design ... which I think is now a boring square tower, no excitment or variation in built form

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back