Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

Kinda late to the party - but this previous summer I would regularly commute in from Long Branch in Etobicoke (on the 501 car), attend an afternoon Jays game, afterwards rent a Bixi to head over to Sugar beach and enjoy the remaindedr of the afternoon relaxing here either on the beach watching ships at Redpath or enjoying a beer at the patio. I can't think of things much better to do on a beautiful summer day in Toronto and it would be at the top of my list of things to show a visitor. The idea that these spaces don't serve the city as a whole (and those outside it!) is ludicrious - and that's before the neighbourhood is even halfway complete.

It's too early to be making such judgments regarding the availability of 'public' space on Toronto's waterfront. Sugar Beach and Sherborne Commons are two relatively small parks within the larger plan, which includes a substantial park in the West Don Lands, as well as Lake Ontario Park which will connect new developments in the Don Lands/Bayfront district to the existing 10KM-long Leslie Street Spit. Deriding WaterfrontTO for wasting 'valuable' public space before the project is complete does not do them justice.

As for Corus Quay and GBC as having taken up perceived public land or 'entertainment space', it's important to keep in mind how exactly these public spaces get funded - land has to be sold in order to receive the necessary funds to construct the parks (unless you think the city has the funds to build them), and frankly, these buildings could have been sold to much worse. Corus includes a restaurant and cafe, as well as features which allow for open air concerts during the summer fronting Sugar Beach. GBC isn't a self-enclosed institution either - they provide a variety of educational services to the public and will draw in non-area residents to use the public spaces.

It's naive to think the city is starved for public space - Toronto contains more green space than most cities, all it takes is looking around at what already exists in the immediate area - the Don Valley has a massive trail system which is begging for greater public attention, while Tommy Thompson Park is nearby, as is the Toronto Island.

It's naive to think the city is starved for public space - Toronto contains more green space than most cities, all it takes is looking around at what already exists in the immediate area - the Don Valley has a massive trail system which is begging for greater public attention, while Tommy Thompson Park is nearby, as is the Toronto Island.

And of course there is Rouge Park, which is one of the largest urban parks in North America. And the ravine system gets so overlooked, when there are trails so close to a huge part of the city.

As for Corus Quay, I think a fine job has been done at keeping the waterfront itself public, easily accessible, and very pleasant to use. The wide boardwalk and multiple benches there really make it a well-used public space. And with Sherbourne Common right next door, it is hard to say that the density of public spaces in this area is wanting. I'd much prefer to have Corus, with the Against the Grain restaurant and concert space, than yet more empty grass.

I've been to this area many times and that's the first time I've seen those doors open. It's about time.

I've seen them open several times. They're open for events.

Here's a photo I took for an Autism fundraiser a couple of weeks ago:

456577_407870419252697_1692130359_o.jpg

Waterfront Toronto are selling off the temporary District Energy plan in front of the Corus Building, (" Request for Tender (RFT) #2013-11: District Energy Equipment Disposal

Waterfront Toronto (legally named Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corporation) owns an interim District Energy (DE) plant located in the East Bayfront neighbourhood of Toronto’s waterfront. With the interim use completed, the plant is in the process of being decommissioned (i.e., severing and disconnecting electricity, water and other utilities), and Waterfront Toronto is offering the equipment as well as the plant shell for sale by Tender. The decommissioning is not in the scope of this Tender, and is being performed by a 3rd party.
")

I think there is a permanent one in the GBC basement.

When it goes all the sites immediately south of Queen''s Quay and north of Corus and GBC will be available for redeveloopment.

One of the networks has their anchor desk on the roof. They will have a great beauty shot of downtown behind their talking heads.

I feel like premature glass failure will be a legacy this building boom leaves behind. I sure hope all those condo boards keep their reserves healthy (and yes, I realize this building isn't a condo).

I feel like premature glass failure will be a legacy this building boom leaves behind. I sure hope all those condo boards keep their reserves healthy (and yes, I realize this building isn't a condo).

Could end up being a blessing in disguise. They'll be forced to replace it all and, hopefully, with something of visual interest. 1990-2020 has been an incredibly soul sucking experience from an architectural POV. The last few years we've witnessed that obsession with all glass everything weaken. We could see many of these buildings re-clad with actual walls.

Stone, metal, colour, texture, solidity? Yes, please!

Back