Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

The Ontario Line, Scarborough Subway, Eglinton Crosstown, Eglinton West LRT, Finch West LRT are all under construction as of now. GO Expansion ("RER") soon to come.

It's great that Finch and the crosstown are coming in the next two years. Its a shame nothing will be done the rest of the decade.

I had reached out to the Ontario Line team highlighting my concern over the super deep transfer station between Line 1 and the OL at Queen. Here is the response I got from them today:

View attachment 398555

It doesn't give me a lot of confidence that they would make the transfer better, though. It's not a concrete "yes, it will be changed". Also, the decision for station depth is one of the first things that will have to be decided as the TBMs route and depth needs to be confirmed before tunneling begins.
I do kind of understand they don't want to commit to "yes we will make it better" if it turns out to be an engineering nightmare to actually do so. But I do agree that what has been proposed is far from ideal and any reasonable opportunity to do better should be taken.

Also the stations are not going to be shallower, regardless of whatever method they use to move people between platforms. There is simply too much built around Queen St in this area to go any shallower without it interfering with building foundations, the existing subways tunnels, etc. All of which would require a massive increase in cost to deal with, which lets be real, makes that a non-starter. The best we can hope for is fewer separate sets of stairs and escalators, or ideally, multiple high speed elevators.

I do kind of understand they don't want to commit to "yes we will make it better" if it turns out to be an engineering nightmare to actually do so. But I do agree that what has been proposed is far from ideal and any reasonable opportunity to do better should be taken.

Also the stations are not going to be shallower, regardless of whatever method they use to move people between platforms. There is simply too much built around Queen St in this area to go any shallower without it interfering with building foundations, the existing subways tunnels, etc. All of which would require a massive increase in cost to deal with, which lets be real, makes that a non-starter. The best we can hope for is fewer separate sets of stairs and escalators, or ideally, multiple high speed elevators.

I mean, engineering nightmare shouldn't be a reason to subject millions of commuters every year to a completely nonsensical transfer. Solve the engineering nightmare now, by any means necessary, and you reap the rewards for literal decades while the line is in use. You'd be removing 2-3 minutes per passenger by changing from the current deep platforms to having a bi-level station design like Yonge-Bloor.

Building in dense, urban environments is not a new concept. Hell, even Line 5 Crosstown at Eglinton station was working around a reasonably dense neighborhood and they are able to have a quick interchange between the 2 lines.

What I would recommend is that the section between Osgoode station and Queen station be build in a cut-and-cover method. Close down Queen street for the required 5 years and build the tunnels right beside each other right under Queen street to avoid affecting surrounding buildings, just like how the Yonge line was built back in the 50s. At Osgoode and Queen stations, underpin the existing Line 1, just like was done at Eglinton Station, build the tracks right below Line 1, and mine out side platforms for the new stations. The existing Line 1 platforms will have stairs going down to the 2 side platforms of the Ontario Line. This also improves the passenger flow as we can have more platform square footage when compared to a single centre platform.

The Ontario Line, Scarborough Subway, Eglinton Crosstown, Eglinton West LRT, Finch West LRT are all under construction as of now. GO Expansion ("RER") soon to come.
Some of the early works for the RER (like widening the embankment and building bridges) is already underway. Probably more so than the Ontario Line right now.

I can't remember....has Metrolinx already provided a written response on the technical/logistical rationale for why a Distillery District station would be difficult and expensive?

2021 BlogTO post:

I can't remember....has Metrolinx already provided a written response on the technical/logistical rationale for why a Distillery District station would be difficult and expensive?

2021 BlogTO post:

you could find it somewhere on a few documents but it has to do with the incline up to the surface at the don yard. also because its already like a 5 minute walk from the distillery anyway

Is there a high level master schedule of the various station completions, and a target timeline for opening?
Likely many years out, maybe 7 or more.
Anyone know?
Thoughts?

A station at Cherry is difficult because the line goes from elevated to very deep in bedrock within a kilometer, which requires a long and steep descent just where the station would have to be. But it could be done. They have chosen not to, and are kind of saying it's too hard. It's really just kind of too expensive.

Last edited:
It's great that Finch and the crosstown are coming in the next two years. Its a shame nothing will be done the rest of the decade.
Glass half full. Glass half empty. This is the half empty view.

It's been 22 yrs since Jan 1, 2000 and we got 6 stops on Line 1 (TYSSE) and Line 4. Not a great 20 yrs. And in 20 before that Downsview, Kipling, Kennedy and the Scarborough LRT. Even less.

This (past) decade brings two significant east-west routes (Finch and Crosstown as you mention) and the coming one brings three more and GO expansion which includes the Smart track remainders.

Unconfirmed but on the table: Eglinton East, Waterfront and perhaps Sheppard. I'd say the winds are blowing in the right direction.

Verdict. Half full.

A station at Cherry is difficult because the line goes from elevated to very deep in bedrock within a kilometer, which requires a long and steep descent just where the station would have to be. But it could be done. They have chosen not to, and are kind of saying it's too hard. It's really just kind of too expensive.
It's not like we can't infill a station. North York Centre.

no i dont think we can, the platform has to be level right? so the constant incline means it shouldnt happen
I think at this stage, we are at 10% design. Design a flat station length section in if the budget for the station isn’t there. Future-proof a several billion dollar investment.

Last edited:

Back