Toronto Fairview Mall Redevelopment Phase 1 | 180.2m | 52s | Cadillac Fairview | Hariri Pontarini

* Docs are Up *

1650905321779.png

1650905532729.png

1650905584403.png

* have a close look at TTC bus off to the left of the image........ ^^^

1650905651226.png

1650905675549.png

From the Planning Rationale Report:

1650905838519.png

1650905859961.png

This bit is interesting; including blaming the TTC for retaining the parking structure on the corner!

1650906050054.png

All-phases:

1650906133091.png

1650906159375.png

1650906173966.png

The Parkland plan for this is nothing short of abysmal, 3 small, completely inadequate parks.

1650906351321.png

1650906390244.png

Not the best work of either Urban Strategies or HPA............send it back for a total re-think.

Absolutely devoid of character and lackluster, overall this is just typical run off the mill stuff.

Regarding the green space in particular, why cant they just lump it all into one larger park on the north end of the mall on Fairview Mall Dr? This patchwork of proposed park space effectively makes each one next to useless, and just serves as a "buffer" from all the towers and the mall.

Absolutely devoid of character and lackluster, overall this is just typical run off the mill mall stuff.

Regarding the green space in particular, why cant they just lump it all into one larger park on the north end of the mall on Fairview Mall Dr? This patchwork of proposed park space effectively makes each one next to useless, and just serves as a "buffer" from all the towers and the mall.

Completely agree, except for that one small bit I fixed for you!

Interesting that this is a JV with Shape who are doing amazing work in Burnaby at their 'The Amazing Brentwood' project. This, however, is not that.

An amenity pavilion on Sheppard? At-grade, car-loop / dropoff? What? Why is none of that internalized within a podium?

At least it's probably accurate in that some dick appears to have parked his Range Rover in the bus lane...

1650918548941.png

A very quick, 5 minute effort, to create a better site plan:

1650906390244.png

Of note here, the overwhelming bulk of that corner w/the bus terminal can be substantially reduced if the Sheppard Line extends east, even to VP.

A very quick, 5 minute effort, to create a better site plan:

View attachment 395936

Of note here, the overwhelming bulk of that corner w/the bus terminal can be substantially reduced if the Sheppard Line extends east, even to VP.
I mean you are completely missing parking space allocation, which for malls is still very important, but yea. Even if you do leave the parking structures in place where they currently are, there are much better ways to lay out this site plan.

I mean you are completely missing parking space allocation, which for malls is still very important, but yea. Even if you do leave the parking structures in place where they currently are, there are much better ways to lay out this site plan.

The parking can be replaced underneath new towers. Why would we allow it above-grade?

Also, a significant amount of the parking in the structure along Don Mills at Sheppard is actually for the TTC who the planners suggest are an obstruction to redevelopment of that corner as they are entitled to said parking.

Not sure I buy that, the parking could be replaced, or bought-out.

The parking can be replaced underneath new towers. Why would we allow it above-grade?
it's thousands of spaces you would be talking about replacing, you get into the financial feasibility of that all, especially since you will have to build new residential spaces as well for the new towers. It's more complex than that.

Not saying it's not possible, but integrating above-grade parking in situations like this makes the numbers work a lot better where possible. There is a reason CF isn't proposing to touch most of their existing garages. The likely best solution would be to "strategically" demolish parts of the existing garages where it makes sense, like right at the corner of Sheppard and Don Mills, to improve the public realm along them. The garages along the 404 for example likely make no sense to demolish as the recovered development land would be marginal and it would be very expensive to replace the lost parking.

There is more complexity here too, like the existing underground bus terminal which likely makes overbuilds structurally challenging ($$$$).

It's a complex site that is likely not going to please the urbanism idealists to redevelop, but that doesn't mean CF can appropriately go plop a useless private drop off and amenity pavilion right on Sheppard and call it a day either.

I suppose the Tesla Supercharger stations will be moved underground, with hopefully still free access (unlike the situation at Hotel X). Important once Superchargers in Canada allow other EVs to charge and assuming not every parking space will allow for charging. I know cars should not be the focus here, but it's something to keep in mind given current trends.

I question the logic of investing is elaborate multi-thousand parking facilities underground or in structures. With robotaxis in the wings, the development logic of parking minimums and massive car storage might be changing. I guess these facilities could get second life as robotaxi charging/servicing depots... Something for the 'coming disruption of transport' thread.

Back