News   Apr 25, 2024
 258     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 469     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

Brooks Brothers and Andy Warhol were an unlikely pairing of the preppy and the unsettling that worked quite well.

Can I say something here; to all forummers?? This is about retail clothing and luxury goods. I'll keep it short.

We all post here about this and that store opening.

The BRAND isn't that important, especially when it costs you dear to buy THIS suit or THAT shirt or handbag. And most of us (guilty:() buy constantly to satisfy that consumer urge.

Some brands and shops offer good value. If you need a middling suit that fits in a middling way, Moores is good. Many shops don't offer good value - Holts selling $200 t-shirts by D-Squared come to mind.

I've never seen so many poorly dressed people at the malls - and they are full of clothing stores. Or, they are over dressed - go to the underground beneath the Bloor Holts - men wearing the 'full Rosen' - everything bought from studying 'Harry' magazine.

Rant over. There are artisans in this city that can create works of art from scratch that you can wear.

Seek them out and give the consumer goods multinationals less of your money.

There's also Goodwill - today I'm wearing a $5 jacket from there. Such bargoons can subsidize the occasional splurge at N()IR, lileo or Holts.

I'm not that big, flatterer.

Bought a modernist pewter ( ? ) pair about a month ago at the Sunday Market for $10. Marked on the back M and A or W and A. Shaped like the face of a bearded king from some ancient culture. Scandinavian, I think. Not at all my usual sort of purchase.

I'm not that big, flatterer.

Bought a modernist pewter ( ? ) pair about a month ago at the Sunday Market for $10. Marked on the back M and A or W and A. Shaped like the face of a bearded king from some ancient culture. Scandinavian, I think. Not at all my usual sort of purchase.

I have no luck. The snack bar at the North Market is good. I have the all day breakfast there. urp:eek:

The cholesterol special?

That's the one. The greek salad [dressing] is life threatening too.:p

The cufflink on the left was purchased from the nice man who has had a booth for years now in the Sunday St. Lawrence market. He's located in the far northwest corner of the market. Nice man - sells nic nacs like this; but I've never seen anything really worthy. I'm looking for links with a fifties cheesecake motif; not repro ones.

The link on the right is vintage amber. It was purchased from the nice man who runs a jewellery store on the basement level of the South market, beside the stairs.

P1000208.jpg

Can I say something here; to all forummers?? This is about retail clothing and luxury goods. I'll keep it short.

We all post here about this and that store opening.

The BRAND isn't that important, especially when it costs you dear to buy THIS suit or THAT shirt or handbag. And most of us (guilty:() buy constantly to satisfy that consumer urge.

Some brands and shops offer good value. If you need a middling suit that fits in a middling way, Moores is good. Many shops don't offer good value - Holts selling $200 t-shirts by D-Squared come to mind.

I've never seen so many poorly dressed people at the malls - and they are full of clothing stores. Or, they are over dressed - go to the underground beneath the Bloor Holts - men wearing the 'full Rosen' - everything bought from studying 'Harry' magazine.

Rant over. There are artisans in this city that can create works of art from scratch that you can wear.

Seek them out and give the consumer goods multinationals less of your money.

This thread is called "New Mall Retail", so I think you're in the wrong thread. No one in here needs a lecture. That said if you want to start a thread on the evils of Capitalism and Corporations and Brands then go right ahead, I'm sure you'll get a cornucopia of No Logo-reading sheeple.

Mustapha's Anti-New Mall Retail post fits in perfectly in a New Mall Retail thread. We get to disagree when we want, and we often go on the lecture circuit too. Lighten up CC - and let free speech (within reasonable limits) reign!

http://www.ddimagazine.com/displaya...stry-news/e3i3a2b5d0d04f5fd1c0643e8478fa6d40a

New York-based Tiffany & Co. announced plans for a spring 2009 opening of a 6,200-sq.-ft. store in the Yorkdale Shopping Centre in the greater Toronto area. The new store will feature a 25-ft.-high facade with a Mondrian-like stone pattern, Black Zimbabwe marble arch and an Atlas Clock above the entrance. Tiffany's deco-inspired stainless steel doors will lead to an interior of jewelry salons with stainless steel showcases, mottled Makore wood, and custom furnishings and wall coverings. Tiffany also operates another store in Toronto.

Mustapha's Anti-New Mall Retail post fits in perfectly in a New Mall Retail thread. We get to disagree when we want, and we often go on the lecture circuit too. Lighten up CC - and let free speech (within reasonable limits) reign!

If it was a thread about malls in general I might agree, but this thread is specifically titled "New Mall Retail", not "Malls - Their Pros and Cons". That's why all the news about new retailers coming to malls is posted here. Although I'll concede the point that this thread has deviated to general discussion about malls and retail at times.

That was a great place. And there was one in Riverdale Plaza, near me, until a few years ago. The store at Parliament and Gerrard is closing soon. The Golden Age of Goodwill is over, sad to say.

I stocked up on 50 cent Versace silk ties while I could.

Back