Toronto East Harbour | 214.2m | 65s | Cadillac Fairview | Adamson

This city document is from November and it states there are still ongoing discussions about the existing buildings and integrating the industrial heritage into the new development.

I share similar feelings and think keeping the existing buildings would enhance the project. Hopefully something can be done.
A bunch of them were integrated in the earlier options done by Great Gulf, but not sure how CF decided to work through them. Consider the one for 2018 kept the main soap factory partially to be able to limit the encroachment of the FPL into the East Harbour site and by doing that also gave them an earlier construction timeline, which has already passed on completion dates from then.
Some of the other smaller buildings and water tower were also in the Henning Larson proposals which looked pretty good and kept the industrial feel.

Podium designs and pedestrian corridors with animated retail/tenants is key to the success of this area.
Going to be a tough go since it will be a very long build out for the office towers. Hard to fill that much space quickly to create a community along with the residential.

considering the city / province had no legal mechanism to require it, and any amount would be entirely voluntary, it's not terrible.
1. The City had the Unilever Precinct Secondary Plan, Planning Framework, and Zoning By-law. Those didn't cover affordable housing (except off-site financial contributions) since no housing was planned on this site. I didn't agree with that approach but these tools are now mostly useless due to the MZO.
2. The Province's MZO could've covered affordable housing as a condition for allowing residential uses. They didn't... that was their choice. I honestly would've supported an MZO that allowed residential so long as employment was included but without the terrible built form and destruction of heritage. The Province is clearly much more interested in overriding even the most common-sense planning, so long as it serves their donors, instead of sticking to their often-stated goal of "transit-oriented communities".

considering the city / province had no legal mechanism to require it, and any amount would be entirely voluntary, it's not terrible.
In addition to the above. The billions of dollars that have made this development possible could have been conditional. If the city is going to rebuild the gardiner using a first Gulf proposal, and a major transit hub where nothing currently exists, they could apply a bit of pressure to play ball. Anyway, I'm glad this is getting media attention, as it's a project that is on the bubble between disappointment and success.

1. The City had the Unilever Precinct Secondary Plan, Planning Framework, and Zoning By-law. Those didn't cover affordable housing (except off-site financial contributions) since no housing was planned on this site. I didn't agree with that approach but these tools are now mostly useless due to the MZO.
2. The Province's MZO could've covered affordable housing as a condition for allowing residential uses. They didn't... that was their choice. I honestly would've supported an MZO that allowed residential so long as employment was included but without the terrible built form and destruction of heritage. The Province is clearly much more interested in overriding even the most common-sense planning, so long as it serves their donors, instead of sticking to their often-stated goal of "transit-oriented communities".
Then what is the point of city planning? Where is the creativity and originality? You said it beautifully but my blood is just boiling, I have become so cynical to planning and the province now; just sitting back and watching Toronto become destroyed by developers. Capitalism and greed at its finest - and in 30 years people are going to look back and wonder why such incompetence was allowed, in the same way we critique the way the city was planned in the past etc.

Please make it looks nicer than this view, the bland grey towers it's very disappointing. We recently had sales people from Louisville & Texas come down for a recent trade show and they were excited to see Toronto and in the end most of them were disappointed in the look of the downtown, they said it looked very dreary and bland, same looking towers, no colour, they said it looked much better at night. This city desperately needs these projects to finish, The Well, Mirvish Village, St.Lawrence market & especially the Portlands area.
Everyone in the design review panel should be let go and new young people hired in their place. And the architects should be ashamed of what has been put up in the last 10 years. I wish UrbanToronto users had more pull.
1650465684407.png

While we twiddle our thumbs:

For anyone who missed checking out last the virtual Open House #3 in late October, here's some Presentation Deck images … with a few design direction clues/promises (who knows what will be built and when).

There is supposed to be a 4th Open House in “early 2022” but not sure if it’s scheduled yet.

EastH-masterplan.jpg

(abundance of GO Trains)
EastH-skyline.jpg

EastH-office-grade.jpg

EastH-base.jpg

EastH-office.jpg

EastH-hub.jpg

EastH-parks.jpg

EastH-event-plaza.jpg

East_openSpace.jpg

EastH-land-use.jpg

EastH-residential.jpg

EastH-res-towers.png

EastH-tower-sep.jpg

While we twiddle our thumbs:

For anyone who missed checking out last the virtual Open House #3 in late October, here's some Presentation Deck images … with a few design direction clues/promises (who knows what will be built and when).

There is supposed to be a 4th Open House in “early 2022” but not sure if it’s scheduled yet.

View attachment 394289

(abundance of GO Trains)
View attachment 394293
View attachment 394294
View attachment 394295
View attachment 394296
View attachment 394297
View attachment 394298
View attachment 394299
View attachment 394300
View attachment 394301
View attachment 394302
View attachment 394303
View attachment 394305
honestly this is transformative, designing basically a car-free community. it's going to be an example of what to strive for in city design
It looks like ground level retail? wonder if the developer can get a grocery store there
it would be cool if we could connect a small bridge to the don bike trail across the river

honestly this is transformative, designing basically a car-free community. it's going to be an example of what to strive for in city design
It looks like ground level retail? wonder if the developer can get a grocery store there
it would be cool if we could connect a small bridge to the don bike trail across the river
The original plan had a bike/pedestrian connection across the river.

rfp for the transit hub
apperently theres 2 steps in it?

The key bits from the above:

1650478416184.png

That's a tight timeline btw stage 2 of the RFP and shovels in the ground........I shall watch with interest.

As a side note, I would have thought it would have made sense to wait for construction of the Flood Protection Landform.....

The repeated mention of transparent glazing at grade coupled with the speculative renders makes me worry we're gonna get the A-A special of blank curtainwall at grade for basically every building. Obviously having glazing at grade is a good thing to some extent, but it's the only thing they mention here, nothing about making the grade-level human-scaled, or having any sort of texture or basically anything else that's good practices for a good pedestrian realm. I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like we're heading for just endless walls of glass for the entire district, and then the architects will be confused why no one wants to walk around the soulless mess they've created.

Back