Toronto East Harbour Transit Hub | 14.35m | 1s | Metrolinx | Metrolinx

It remains to be seen whether the Broadview Avenue extension will actually have streetcar trackage on Day 1 - the 30 March Executive Committee states

(EA thread)
We need to switch to a build-it-and-they-will-ride philosophy for the streetcars in this area of the city. Good transit builds ridership.
I've seen the cross section at the Corktown station. And ask why does the subway line have to sink down that low at that level real fast. When there's nothing above it but parking and one storey warehouse buildings having no basement obstructing the path. That's will be torn down anyway for future development. Which could make it possible to put a leveled stop below or above at Cherry st in the future. Which I strongly feel this stop will be used tremendously in the future with the locals and tourists. Exiting off to Villiers Island and the harbourfront etc by transferring on the Cherry st LRT to get there! JUST A THOUGHT!
I agree that a station at Cherry would make sense, and that the least that they could do would be to level the tunnelling in that area so that a station could be added in the future, as was the case at North York Centre…

…but, will they do the least?

We need to switch to a build-it-and-they-will-ride philosophy for the streetcars in this area of the city. Good transit builds ridership.

I agree that a station at Cherry would make sense, and that the least that they could do would be to level the tunnelling in that area so that a station could be added in the future, as was the case at North York Centre…

Thanks for your honest input I appreciate it. If you have some connection by knowing anyone from metrolinx or the city staff. It would be great to mention this by email or verbally. Even if the subway runs above Cherry st it could be covered by a canopy similar to the one near Castle Frank stop on the Bloor line seen on Google Earth. While descending into the ground towards Corktown station. Saving money from boring into the ground. Thanks!

A a future station could be in trench (ie open to the sky) to the east of Cherry Street (so more consistent with a gradual slope) and could even be a part of an extended tunnel portal. They just need to build a level section of guideway/track.

One could argue Toronto had a build it and they will ride nearly 20 years ago with the what became the sad joke of "Transit First" on the waterfront. What Toronto did not switch to was action, from studies and talk.

One could argue Toronto had a build it and they will ride nearly 20 years ago with the what became the sad joke of "Transit First" on the waterfront. What Toronto did not switch to was action, from studies and talk.
"Study it, and they will come. And if they do not come, do more studies." - City of Toronto motto.

The KPMB rendering has a design aesthetic (wood and/or corten steel) that is similar to the Ontario Line renderings. I have to say that I like this line's station designs more than the Eglinton Line's white and orange.

It remains to be seen whether the Broadview Avenue extension will actually have streetcar trackage on Day 1 - the 30 March Executive Committee states

(EA thread)
I swear the city gets nothing done. If it wasn't for the province and Waterfront Toronto pushing things along nothing would be happening in this city other than the city creating neighbourhood plans and then doing nothing to push them forward. Like the Bremner LRT, if they don't build it as part of the building of the new neighbourhood, they probably will not build it later because at that point people will have come to love their tree filled median. Later they will justify not building transit because the area has no development potential because it is already developed.

I swear the city gets nothing done. If it wasn't for the province and Waterfront Toronto pushing things along nothing would be happening in this city other than the city creating neighbourhood plans and then doing nothing to push them forward. Like the Bremner LRT, if they don't build it as part of the building of the new neighbourhood, they probably will not build it later because at that point people will have come to love their tree filled median. Later they will justify not building transit because the area has no development potential because it is already developed.
...we might have still gotten a relief line with only one or two stops but in the most likely asinine way possible. /sigh

As part of the province chipping in more money for the 'Smart Track' stations......

There is a curious condition applicable to this site:

1686837882198.png

From: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2023/cc/bgrd/backgroundfile-237451.pdf

That sounds like a potentially terrible bargain.

AoD

It depends, of course, on what the 'alternative' is.......

But the fact it may have required a 200M+ incentive to get the City to agree to it, does raise an eyebrow.

Which is why I posted it here.

So people can ask the relevant staff/pols......"What alternative scenario"?

It depends, of course, on what the 'alternative' is.......

But the fact it may have required a 200M+ incentive to get the City to agree to it, does raise an eyebrow.

Which is why I posted it here.

So people can ask the relevant staff/pols......"What alternative scenario"?

If I have to guess it would be some concrete berm smack against the edge of the river to maximize developable land.

AoD

Back