Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

I think it makes sense to replace the lower bowl. It's always been the original configuration that was designed to be capable of moving between baseball and football set-ups. That has not been needed for several years without the CFL, NFL (Bills), soccer, monster trucks, etc., and the stadium now being used only during the summer for baseball and a few full-stadium concerts. I would assume the new lower level stands would be permanent and arranged more specifically for baseball, perhaps with all the seats pointed at second base, and maybe also with each section rising at a more steep angle. But trying to make that fit into the existing stadium may be awkward.

Edit: "Ripping out the lower bowl" would seem to be in line with my comment above.
https://www.mlb.com/news/rogers-centre-approved-for-renovations ...
... In terms of fan experience, Shapiro says that most of the work will come on the 100 Level. Rogers Centre has always been a multipurpose stadium that just so happens to house the Blue Jays, but it’s been home to major concerts, the CFL’s Toronto Argonauts and even the NBA’s Toronto Raptors over the years. That flexibility is valuable, but the Blue Jays want to create a truer “baseball” experience.
“It really will be changing the entire lower bowl, so ripping out the lower bowl and creating a new [experience],” Shapiro said.
Also, in reading some other articles, I'm guessing the new lower bowl would have fewer seats, and they're using the word premium a lot, which I assume means much more expensive.

Last edited:
In other words we'll have one of the worst stadiums in baseball for another 10-15 years.
From a climate perspective, they should be looking to extend the life of the dome for 30-50 years. Some here have said it's not feasible, but I haven't seen anything compelling to make me believe it. The 20-30 year stadium life cycles that have become the norm are ecologically untenable.

Having been to a lot of parks on the east coast, I find the dome of medium quality in terms of the fan experience. Obviously the turf sucks, but the experience is better than a lot of other parks. The climate control and central location are vastly underrated, and the aesthetic is overrated. It's certainly no Camden, or Fenway or Wrigley, but I much prefer it to the likes of New Yankee, Guaranteed Rate, or even Citizens Bank (a nice park that kid of sucks to get to and is located in an ocean of asphalt.)

I actually see the prospect of lower bowl improvements as really promising.

"one of"....meaning right behind Tampa and Oakland is Toronto.
I would go as far to say Arizona's Chase Field can be grouped in that list. Yes, it's baseball-specific, but just looks so industrial and lacks any sense of identity.

I would go as far to say Arizona's Chase Field can be grouped in that list. Yes, it's baseball-specific, but just looks so industrial and lacks any sense of identity.

Yeah and now that it's turf, that also get points deducted from it. I do love the little swimming pool in the outfield though.

From a climate perspective, they should be looking to extend the life of the dome for 30-50 years. Some here have said it's not feasible, but I haven't seen anything compelling to make me believe it. The 20-30 year stadium life cycles that have become the norm are ecologically untenable.

Having been to a lot of parks on the east coast, I find the dome of medium quality in terms of the fan experience. Obviously the turf sucks, but the experience is better than a lot of other parks. The climate control and central location are vastly underrated, and the aesthetic is overrated. It's certainly no Camden, or Fenway or Wrigley, but I much prefer it to the likes of New Yankee, Guaranteed Rate, or even Citizens Bank (a nice park that kid of sucks to get to and is located in an ocean of asphalt.)

I actually see the prospect of lower bowl improvements as really promising.

The location of the Rogers Centre is amazing. As far as climate control, I think it's overrated and would argue that's the difference many American sports fans and Canadian sports fans. American's are die hard, and a little drizzle, light snow cold day won't stop them from layering up properly, and have a ton of fun. If you've ever been to Wrigley Field and sat in the bleachers, that's where all the fun is. Could be snowing and guys will have their shirt off...lol. The atmosphere is incredible. I've been to New Yankee and didn't think it was all that either.

The Rogers Centre come a long way over the years, and is not that bad when the roof is open, but the reality is, is a stadium not a ball park, and I love ball parks.

Been twice to new yankee stadium and thought it was a bore. But I also thought old yankee stadium was a better exhibition stadium.

I love the location of Rogers centre. If there’s a way to make it work they should do their best to make it work.

Looks like Rogers Centre is sticking around for at least another 10-15 years. How or where they build a new stadium remains to be seen.

I can appreciate that a new stadium would be a major project, but doesn't this mean the longer they wait the less land there will be available?

Also just so you folks know... no ball park is being built in 10 years lol... I would say minimum 15-20 years. It takes years for large projects and development areas to be approved and this will be no different. I would 2040 at the earliest.

Also just so you folks know... no ball park is being built in 10 years lol... I would say minimum 15-20 years. It takes years for large projects and development areas to be approved and this will be no different. I would 2040 at the earliest.
I agree but at the cities growth pace I have no idea where there will be sufficient land to build in 2040 unless it is not in the core.

My guess is there is a ton of work going on now just because it's not public does not mean nothing happening.

Agreed, hard to see them make this kind of investment if they want a new stadium in 10-15 years.

I think there's still plenty of life left in the place, especially after these major renovations.

Back