Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

For once I'm not even mad at a potential cheapening, I am just so ecstatic to see bold colour. Especially in Old Town; there should be a moratorium on grey/black/monochrome buildings in this part of the city. Red brick and/or colourful finishes, please.
I wonder if it's more technical than economical though. As aluminum is less likely to break over terracotta and much easier to mount, I gather. It's things like this to consider when designing fins to stick out like wings and a prayer. Just saying.

I wonder if it's more technical than economical though. As aluminum is less likely to break over terracotta and much easier to mount, I gather. It's things like this to consider when designing fins to stick out like wings and a prayer. Just saying.

Terracotta can be very durable. There are ornamental terracotta panels on Victorian buildings that have survived for more than 120 years. One advantage to it is that it doesn't have to be repainted.

just confused as to the intent on the lower panels now. Seems intentional to install those without fins and the uppers with fins already pre-installed..

I have to say, I am slightly disappointed by the vibrant orange of the fins. Of course I wont know for sure how it fits until the entire structure is completed however, I was hoping for more of a copper tone, like 60 Colborne. I think the blues from the widows, the reds of the aggregate surrounding brick colours, and that copper tone was actually a faily cohesive design language scheme that could have made the neighbourhood come together a bit more. Regardless (throat clearing here), I love this building and its proportions, and its British inspiration perfectly matches its surroundings (a very rare feat in Toronto).

IMG_9948.JPG
IMG_9958.JPG
IMG_9955.JPG
IMG_9954.JPG
IMG_9953.JPG
IMG_9952.JPG
IMG_9951.JPG
IMG_9950.JPG
IMG_9949.JPG

I suspect you're right about that, terracotta certainly seems impractical for that application. If anything history would be a good precedent, the 1913 CPR Building was originally clad in terracotta but our harsh winters meant it had to be re-clad just 16 years later in 1929.

I suspect you're right about that, terracotta certainly seems impractical for that application. If anything history would be a good precedent, the 1913 CPR Building was originally clad in terracotta but our harsh winters meant it had to be re-clad just 16 years later in 1929.

There are hundreds and potentially thousands of buildings in the city that are over 100 years old with their original terracotta details intact. 299 Queen Street West is a notable example. Annex-style houses typically incorporate ornamental terracotta panels. Page 57 of this PDF has a close up view of some original terracotta panels on a house in the Annex. Terracotta can be made to perform without issue in our harsh winters.

Last edited:
There are hundreds and potentially thousands of buildings in the city that are over 100 years old with their original terracotta details intact. 299 Queen Street West is a notable example. Annex-style houses typically incorporate ornamental terracotta panels. Page 57 of this PDF has a close up view of some original terracotta panels on a house in the Annex.
Clearly it depends on how well the terra cotta was made and how well it was affixed to the rest of the building and how resistant it was to water penetration and the freeze-thaw cycle. Plus ca change.....

I have to say, I am slightly disappointed by the vibrant orange of the fins. Of course I wont know for sure how it fits until the entire structure is completed however, I was hoping for more of a copper tone, like 60 Colborne. I think the blues from the widows, the reds of the aggregate surrounding brick colours, and that copper tone was actually a faily cohesive design language scheme that could have made the neighbourhood come together a bit more. Regardless (throat clearing here), I love this building and its proportions, and its British inspiration perfectly matches its surroundings (a very rare feat in Toronto).
I'm not an expert on colour pallets at all, but the fins seem to be the colour I was expecting. We'll have to wait for the final product.

cohesive is boring - give me contrast! It's so very toronto to try and be contextual and blend in. I respect that they went with a hardcore citrus orange vs something more muted.

I am looking forward to the signature bent ventilation shaft and other mechanical elements in colour.

AoD

There are hundreds and potentially thousands of buildings in the city that are over 100 years old with their original terracotta details intact. 299 Queen Street West is a notable example. Annex-style houses typically incorporate ornamental terracotta panels. Page 57 of this PDF has a close up view of some original terracotta panels on a house in the Annex. Terracotta can be made to perform without issue in our harsh winters.
Yes, that is a good point. I suspect in this application though, the exposure of the projected fins might test even the hardiest terracotta; especially with the perforated design element. I'm no expert on the material though, it could very well be cost motivated. Either way, I love the result.

Yes, that is a good point. I suspect in this application though, the exposure of the projected fins might test even the hardiest terracotta; especially with the perforated design element. I'm no expert on the material though, it could very well be cost motivated. Either way, I love the result.
not a common profile for terracotta. hollow fins referred to as 'baguettes' are more typical

Back