Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, mods, like it or not, time to rename this thread ;)

Not until 2024 :cool:

The project will continue to be referred to as the Hurontario LRT while construction is underway, but will adopt the name once the line opens.

Source:

Well, now that this line is being named after Hazel, can we PLEASE colour the trains hazel instead of the bland Metrolinx black/white/gray! It just somehow looks worse on the Citadis cars than the Flexities.
MEI_Eye_Color_Infographic_CB_V3-02.jpg

From link.

Depends upon one's definition of "hazel".

She never really planned transit in Mississauga till the last decade of her term. The entire city is meant to be driven around in a car with wide high speed roads and multi lane left turn lanes. It was just another clone of a typical North American city.

Perhaps if Square One was to become a core, early on they could have planned a rail extension from the Milton Line before things were built up. Additionally they could have reserved space for transit along Dundas or Burnhamthorpe.

She never really planned transit in Mississauga till the last decade of her term. The entire city is meant to be driven around in a car with wide high speed roads and multi lane left turn lanes. It was just another clone of a typical North American city.

Perhaps if Square One was to become a core, early on they could have planned a rail extension from the Milton Line before things were built up. Additionally they could have reserved space for transit along Dundas or Burnhamthorpe.
They did reserved land along the north side of Burnhamthorpe for transit east of Hurontario.

After years of beating the heads of council and Hazel, they decided transit was the way to go, but sadly it has fallen way short. Model split in 2001 was 11% for transit and only 15% today compare where it should at 30%.

There was a Downtown 2021 plan, but never got off the ground because of the mall. Even the current Land use for the mall area falls short.

You do realize a branch line has to start at Dundas east of Cooksville Station that will not be service by the branch line and be 100% underground. What the cost to do it?? If you going to do this, you continue the line west and reconnect to the main line north of the 403. Would offer better service from the west to the Mall and other areas that can't be done with transit.

A Tram-Train is far cheaper to do if CP allows it and would connect to the Hurontario LRT line with a grade ramp.

In which I explain why I'll SkyDome the Hurontario LRT as long as I live:

"Hazel McCallion" or "Highway 10", the name Hurontario just screams to be substituted!

Seriously though, this is just another thing that will steal even more from what little recognition the street name already has. Another thing is that the line will run into Brampton as well, making the name less appropriate.

And lastly, isn't there enough named after Hazel already? And come to think of it, being mayor of a prosperous suburban municipality isn't exactly a tough job, unlike the case in Toronto with all its social issues. She's being given much accolades but didn't really accomplish much of note.

Last edited:
She never really planned transit in Mississauga till the last decade of her term.
When I arrived in Canada at aged 5 in 1976 we bought a house at Derry Road and Winston Churchill. I can attest as a young lad growing up in what was called Meadowvale that Hazel’s Mississauga Transit buses were very useful, with an extensive nerwork that wound through the subdivisions. My mother never drove and we’d take the bus everywhere, to Square One, to the movies, etc. They had short buses as well, which I found neat.

z2QKDpR.jpg

There was even a telephone number on the stop so you’d check (from home) when the bus was scheduled. Until I moved to Toronto in 1988 we only got around Mississauga on the bus or bicycle.

There's certainly a lot wrong with "10 LRT".
Like what?

I don't want to make the bus driver tap the sign, but I spent a portion of my 90s childhood in Brampton and everyone knew that "Main Street", "Highway 10", and "Hurontario Street" were three names for that one road. It makes perfect sense to call the LRT Line 10, or some variation on that.

The Hurontario Light Rail Transit project to be named after long time Mississauga mayor Hazel McCallion

Metrolinx is naming the Hurontario light rail transit (LRT) project as the Hazel McCallion Line, to commemorate the former Mississauga mayor.

The Province of Ontario decided on the name to recognize McCallion’s legacy and decades of public service.

McCallion, who celebrated her 101st birthday on February 14, was the mayor of Mississauga from 1978 until 2014.

Between the lines, a Metrolinx Podcast had the opportunity to interview the former Mayor of Mississauga. Listen here.
https://blog.metrolinx.com/2022/02/17/between-the-lines-podcast-the-naming-of-the-hazel-mccallion-lrt/

Read more on Metrolinx News
https://blog.metrolinx.com/2022/02/14/hurontario-lrt-to-be-named-after-long-time-mississauga-mayor-hazel-mccallion/#:~:text=Metrolinx%20is%20naming%20the%20Hurontario,commemorate%20the%20former%20Mississauga%20mayor.

8c501be0-64b1-a918-7005-38d0c836417d.jpg
Former Mayor of Mississauga, Hazel McCallion, poses with Metrolinx CEO Phil Verster at Cooksville GO. (Metrolinx photo)​

SAFETY:​

Safety on a construction site is always the number one priority. It takes a collective commitment to ensure everyone goes home safe every day.

Late last week (Feb. 18), Mobilinx, the constructor of the Hurontario LRT and its subcontractors achieved a significant safety milestone. They have now gone more than two million hours of work without a lost time injury (LTI).

If you do a little transit math, that means for 3,000 people working 40-hour weeks, it would be more than 16 weeks without an injury.
You can read more about this significant achievement on Metrolinx News.[http://%20https:/blog.metrolinx.com/2022/02/22/safety-remains-a-priority-on-hurontario-lrt-project/] https://blog.metrolinx.com/2022/02/22/safety-remains-a-priority-on-hurontario-lrt-project/

f8e8fa7f-1864-fdb2-0358-94157bd5b8e3.jpg
Temporary traffic lights installed to help motorists through construction staging. (Metrolinx photo)​

CONSTRUCTION UPDATE:​

Utility and Road Works​

The installation of watermain, storm, and sanitary systems works are continuing on Rathburn Road. Crews are currently excavating and installing watermain and sanitary lines between between Station Gate Road and Hurontario Street ramp on Rathburn. Watermain connections also continue to progress on Hurontario Street between Burnhamthorpe Road and Square One Drive.

There will also be night time works during the 24 hour closure of the Hurontario Street ramp on Rathburn Road East scheduled towards the end of February.

Crews will be working around the clock to have the ramp reopened to motorists as soon as possible. Residents near the worksites can expect to hear noise and vibration caused by trucks, excavators, loaders, backhoes, and other construction equipment. Digital signage will be in place in advance.

Residents near the worksites can expect to hear noise and vibration caused by trucks, excavators, loaders, backhoes, and other construction equipment.

Lane reductions are in effect, we encourage motorists to plan for delays. We recommend entering properties by turning right in and exiting properties by turning right out. Please follow the signage in place and do not use private laneways and plaza parking lots as detour routes.

Some bus stops may be temporarily relocated on Rathburn Road. Please follow MiWay signs to find the relocated stops.

As watermain work progresses, fire hydrants will be relocated to reflect the changes in roadway design. These relocations are expected to start in mid-February in the Hurontario Street and Dundas area.

Residents can also expect to see our surveying team inspect the Cooksville bridge and other infrastructure in the area.

c0c4f8f4-6811-31c5-113e-319dd708bbb5.jpg
Crews excavating for wet utilities relocation at Robert Speck Parkway. (Metrolinx photo)

CONTACT US:​

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to Metrolinx Community Relations team at 416-202-7500 or email Peel@metrolinx.com

For more updates and information on this project, and to get the latest news on what’s happening in Peel, subscribe to our newsletter: www.metrolinx.com/hurontariolrt

Feb 21
Pier forming underway to support the elevated line over Rathburn and not sure what taking place by the eastbound off ramp for the 403.

Rathburn is a mess, especially for transit.
51903713855_36a2b926e6_b.jpg

51903069851_99ceb6ebb4_b.jpg

51902106547_05b1f54bc6_b.jpg

51903070011_b052a1904b_b.jpg

51903070151_dd80e6bfc3_b.jpg

51902106862_f7b52e918a_b.jpg

51903714365_c186a371b2_b.jpg

51903070481_0a87de0f66_b.jpg

51902107077_1c10dd2976_b.jpg

51903395264_f5226c0617_b.jpg

51903160158_94aa0b40e1_b.jpg

51903389184_11151ef478_b.jpg

51903082924_fdb18314a6_b.jpg

51902755701_1093d6cf22_b.jpg

Last edited:
Slightly off topic: what is going on with the former Playdium? I recall it shutdown like 2 years ago, and the building was blue. It is now red.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back