News   Apr 18, 2024
 141     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 477     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.8K     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The less overlap between station names, the better in my books - and in the long run with multiple lines intersecting the same road it becomes untenable to use cardinal directions as identifier. You could use the exact intersection name (like NYC), but that becomes long and unwieldy.

AoD
Well obviously nobody asking that you have repeating station names, but at the same time calling a station "St. Andrew" instead of "Roy Thompson Hall" or "St. Patrick" instead of "Art Gallery of Ontario" is perfectly fine.

Well obviously nobody asking that you have repeating station names, but at the same time calling a station "St. Andrew" instead of "Roy Thompson Hall" or "St. Patrick" instead of "Art Gallery of Ontario" is perfectly fine.

I have no issues with that either - I think neighbourhood and landmarks makes for great station names, it really isn't an either or.

AoD

I have no issues with that either - I think neighbourhood and landmarks makes for great station names, it really isn't an either or.

AoD
I think they work if people know waht they are or actually asotiates something n the area with it. For example, Queens Park, Museum and Since Centre work however forest hill and Cedarvale don't because nobody in Toronto outside of those areas know them as such. asotiates trhe areas it would be like if they decided to name Mount Denis Kodak after the Kodak building there.

I think they work if people know waht they are or actually asotiates something n the area with it. For example, Queens Park, Museum and Since Centre work however forest hill and Cedarvale don't because nobody in Toronto outside of those areas know them as such. asotiates trhe areas it would be like if they decided to name Mount Denis Kodak after the Kodak building there.
I'm pretty sure nobody knew where Old Mill, St George, Summerhill and Bessarion were before they got built by this logic. They are just minor local streets. If you ask an occasion rider to point out where is Summerhill, I would say they are most likely to get it wrong unless they pass by it everyday or is a geek. Summerhill is also the neighbourhood of that area. So what can you do?

People will just learn that Mount Dennis is a major hub. Just like Kipling, Kennedy and Finch. Do it matter that Kipling is located at Kipling south of Dundas or Kennedy is at Eglinton east of Kennedy? Only if they are driving it them but you'll still need to look at a map to know that as it's Kennedy Station NOT Kennedy-Eglinton Station or Kipling-Dundas Station.

This really isn't an issue to non transit enthusiast.

I'm pretty sure nobody knew where Old Mill, St George, Summerhill and Bessarion were before they got built by this logic. They are just minor local streets. If you ask an occasion rider to point out where is Summerhill, I would say they are most likely to get it wrong unless they pass by it everyday or is a geek. Summerhill is also the neighbourhood of that area. So what can you do?

People will just learn that Mount Dennis is a major hub. Just like Kipling, Kennedy and Finch. Do it matter that Kipling is located at Kipling south of Dundas or Kennedy is at Eglinton east of Kennedy? Only if they are driving it them but you'll still need to look at a map to know that as it's Kennedy Station NOT Kennedy-Eglinton Station or Kipling-Dundas Station.

Old Mill station was named after the nearby hotel which sits where a mill once was. St George along with St. Andrew were named for districts of the old city of Toronto. St George is also nearby to the St. George campus of the university of Toronto.

Old Mill station was named after the nearby hotel which sits where a mill once was. St George along with St. Andrew were named for districts of the old city of Toronto. St George is also nearby to the St. George campus of the university of Toronto.
Without those subway stations, I'd have never heard about them.

Those more obscure names become associated with the station and the area, which in itself become a POI. But names like Eglinton, Queen, King, Dundas, would become confusing once there are other major transit options that pass that road in a completely different area (Crosstown, Ontario Line). I’ve picked up a visitor to the city when we were on the UP ask me if we should get off at Dundas West, since he was going to an airbnb close to Dundas (the TTC stop). Obviously he’d check Google Maps before actually getting off, but by that logic, we can just name the stops, line 1A, 1B, etc. If we have names, they should really make sense.

Those more obscure names become associated with the station and the area, which in itself become a POI. But names like Eglinton, Queen, King, Dundas, would become confusing once there are other major transit options that pass that road in a completely different area (Crosstown, Ontario Line). I’ve picked up a visitor to the city when we were on the UP ask me if we should get off at Dundas West, since he was going to an airbnb close to Dundas (the TTC stop). Obviously he’d check Google Maps before actually getting off, but by that logic, we can just name the stops, line 1A, 1B, etc. If we have names, they should really make sense.

This is why they should just call the stations the full intersection Eglinton-Yonge, King-University, Dundas-Yonge etc. It works for bus stops and Sheppard-Yonge Station, why not use the same naming scheme for all stations where a duplicate name would've happened otherwise.

This is why they should just call the stations the full intersection Eglinton-Yonge, King-University, Dundas-Yonge etc. It works for bus stops and Sheppard-Yonge Station, why not use the same naming scheme for all stations where a duplicate name would've happened otherwise.
This wouldn't be necessary if the station lies on the line with the same name. Islington on the Line 2 Bloor-Danforth line would be either on Islington/Bloor or Islington/Danforth (which doesn't exist). It wouldn't be Islington on Line 5. However, since the PA system sucks on the trains or station, announcements get cut off or interrupted, having separate station name would help. Since an issue at Islington on Line 2 would be announced across the system. This would cause confusion on Line 5. This would be an issue if people only hear Dundas when there are Dundas West, Dundas-University and Dundas-Yonge Station names.

It also increases the length of the announcements if they have to say:

"There is no service from St George-Bloor Station to King-University Station due to an security incident at Dundas-University Station"

instead of

"There is no service from St George Station to St. Andrew Station due to an security incident at St. Patrick Station"

As you can see the sentence itself is already 15% longer by letters and 20% longer by syllables (32 vs 40). Making communication harder to get a message out is pretty counterproductive especially when no additional information is added.

This wouldn't be necessary if the station lies on the line with the same name. Islington on the Line 2 Bloor-Danforth line would be either on Islington/Bloor or Islington/Danforth (which doesn't exist). It wouldn't be Islington on Line 5. However, since the PA system sucks on the trains or station, announcements get cut off or interrupted, having separate station name would help. Since an issue at Islington on Line 2 would be announced across the system. This would cause confusion on Line 5. This would be an issue if people only hear Dundas when there are Dundas West, Dundas-University and Dundas-Yonge Station names.

It also increases the length of the announcements if they have to say:

"There is no service from St George-Bloor Station to King-University Station due to an security incident at Dundas-University Station"

instead of

"There is no service from St George Station to St. Andrew Station due to an security incident at St. Patrick Station"

As you can see the sentence itself is already 15% longer by letters and 20% longer by syllables (32 vs 40). Making communication harder to get a message out is pretty counterproductive especially when no additional information is added.
These people seem to have figured it out pretty well:

58cbe6e9140000880607005d.jpeg

27 Jane South
Renamed Southern Section of 35 Jane
City wards: Ward 5 - York South-Weston
Time periods: All times
The section of the 35 Jane south of Eglinton Ave will operate as a separate route between the new Mount Dennis Station on Line 5 to Jane Station on Line 2, and will be renamed to the 27 Jane South. By separating the 27 Jane South from the 35 Jane, customers can expect more reliable service on the route and service levels better tailored to ridership demand. In addition, along with 35 Jane, this portion of the route will be adjusted to terminate at the new Mount Dennis Station on Line 5 to provide a new direct connection for customers to the rapid transit line.

Buses on the 27 Jane South will operate from Mount Dennis Station via Keelesdale Rd, Photography Dr, south on Jane St to Jane Station on Line 2. Overall, this change will make service better for customers and for this reason it is recommended.

1643917828231.png

Back