Toronto St Michael's Choir School | 27.1m | 6s | TCDSB | KPMB

Based on renderings on page 1 of this thread, and this following UT article from February 2018, I believe the St. Michael's Choir School expansion will be included among this overall master plan.

66 BOND ST
Ward 13: Toronto Centre

Application Number: 21 243769 STE 13 SA
Application Type: Site Plan Approval
Date Submitted: 01/12/2021
Description: Site Plan Approval for a new school having a non-residential gross floor area of 7256.0 square metres.

------------
These renderings are shown on St. Michael Choir School's website from December 2020 with a design by KPMB and +VG. Although, they may not end up being the latest iteration, as there's a status update comment posted in April 2021 indicating:

April 2021: Significant estimated costs associated with heritage preservation and building substructure have required a redesign of the project. Once the alternate design and revised costing is accepted, the demolition and construction schedule will be reviewed and revised.

choir.JPG
choir2.JPG
choir3.JPG
choir4.JPG
choir5.JPG
choir6.JPG
choir7.JPG

Last edited:
Based on renderings on page 1 of this thread, and this following UT article from February 2018, I believe the St. Michael's Choir School expansion will be included among this overall master plan.

66 BOND ST
Ward 13: Toronto Centre

Application Number: 21 243769 STE 13 SA
Application Type: Site Plan Approval
Date Submitted: 01/12/2021
Description: Site Plan Approval for a new school having a non-residential gross floor area of 7256.0 square metres.

------------
These renderings are shown on St. Michael Choir School's website from December 2020 with a design by KPMB and +VG. Although, they may not end up being the latest iteration, as there's a status update comment posted in April 2021 indicating:

View attachment 367808View attachment 367809View attachment 367810View attachment 367811View attachment 367812View attachment 367813View attachment 367814

Great to see that they managed to hide a good amount of that blank door from the SMH research institute next door.

AoD

Wait. What? Why was this flattened out? The new elements don't advance and recede for visual interest anymore. Not an improvement.

I am not sure if that large horizontal expanse of opacity is the greatest idea - it would have looked better if they brought the grid of the addition down to it (or kept it as short as possible and not be this huge bar right atop a good portion of the heritage structure.

AoD

That rooftop play area looks like a jail courtyard. I know you need to have a fall prevention barrier, but maybe something other than chain link?

School yard on the roof feels like a Tokyo thing...
-----

Wait. What? Why was this flattened out? The new elements don't advance and recede for visual interest anymore. Not an improvement.
...I like that rounded bit though. <3

Back