Toronto Hudson's Bay Centre Renovations | 32.87m | 6s | Brookfield | Adamson

I wish they could be more ambitious than just recladding it - maybe an addition as well? Teardown that RBC branch, use the footprint as a second core if that's even possible, etc.

AoD
Hopefully they reclad the office tower, tear down the RBC and do something else there, and do something with the giant ugly wall stretching to the W hotel. Glass like Manulife Centre maybe? A new addition entirely would be a cherry on top.

Hopefully they reclad the office tower, tear down the RBC and do something else there, and do something with the giant ugly wall stretching to the W hotel. Glass like Manulife Centre maybe? A new addition entirely would be a cherry on top.

I agree, though I don't know the building well enough to even guess at what's possible and what's not. I guess we will find out soon or latter given this project is tied up with the Yonge-Bloor interchange expansion.

AoD

I agree, though I don't know the building well enough to even guess at what's possible and what's not. I guess we will find out soon or latter given this project is tied up with the Yonge-Bloor interchange expansion.

AoD

More than likely this will come through the CreateTO board, then Executive.

Next CreateTO Board Meeting is March 7.

I don't know if this will be on the agenda, but there is time pressure to finalize a deal.

Meeting Schedule for the year:

1643301480637.png

There are 2 subway lines at that intersection too. If I recall correctly, re-developing the northeast corner and enlarging the subway station is no small under taking and expensive.

There are 2 subway lines at that intersection too. If I recall correctly, re-developing the northeast corner and enlarging the subway station is no small under taking and expensive.

The two subway lines aren't directly under that corner - it's further to the north and east (you can see it from the available plans in the Yonge-Bloor interchange upgrade thread).

There is nothing major directly under that corner other than the PATH connection.

AoD

My understanding is that the redevelopment here is largely activated by the TTC's $1.5 billion Bloor-Yonge expansion project, of which they anticipate saving a ton of money by being able to demolish the Hudson's Bay and not having to build the whole thing while holding it up above the station. I believe the TTC reached out to Brookfield and sort of got the ball rolling by offering to pay some $$$ to get it demoed to save construction costs.. which is making redevelopment a lot more feasible financially here.

Regardless of what the scheme is here, it will likely take a very long time to complete as they have to wait for the TTC to complete a lot of their work.. which isn't scheduled until 2033.

My understanding is that the redevelopment here is largely activated by the TTC's $1.5 billion Bloor-Yonge expansion project, of which they anticipate saving a ton of money by being able to demolish the Hudson's Bay and not having to build the whole thing while holding it up above the station. I believe the TTC reached out to Brookfield and sort of got the ball rolling by offering to pay some $$$ to get it demoed to save construction costs.. which is making redevelopment a lot more feasible financially here.

Regardless of what the scheme is here, it will likely take a very long time to complete as they have to wait for the TTC to complete a lot of their work.. which isn't scheduled until 2033.
🤞

Any demolition would be an improvement.

As a tenant of Plaza 2, I'm anxiously awaiting decisions as to what they will do with our building and it's concourse neighbour to the west.

I can't imagine they will tear down Plaza 2.

What's really in that Bell building on Asquith anyways? The location is super inconvenient to redeveloping the block.

AoD

I can't imagine they will tear down Plaza 2.

What's really in that Bell building on Asquith anyways? The location is super inconvenient to redeveloping the block.

AoD
From a 2018 Letter of Objection: "This building currently serves as Bell’s third largest data and network communications centre in Toronto."

It's probably not going anywhere soon. It's also quite a handsome deco building that I hope would remain as part of any redevelopment of the block.

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2018/te/comm/communicationfile-75013.pdf

I'm a "Yes in my backyard" person, however I'm also torn about the thousands of dollars a month I pay in rent to live in an active construction site outside my front door, (and my side door in the case of the concourse entrance to the subway).

I'm sorry, this presupposes a cut and cover along Bloor St E, and/or demoing the Hudson Bay.

From a 2018 Letter of Objection: "This building currently serves as Bell’s third largest data and network communications centre in Toronto."

It's probably not going anywhere soon. It's also quite a handsome deco building that I hope would remain as part of any redevelopment of the block.

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2018/te/comm/communicationfile-75013.pdf

So....you made me curious...........occupational hazard for those posting interesting things at UT!

I went and looked up the appeal in question.

Something popped out at me that I didn't realize.....

The former Starbucks/Britnell bookstore is owned by Brookfield.

So....you made me curious...........occupational hazard for those posting interesting things at UT!

I went and looked up the appeal in question.

Something popped out at me that I didn't realize.....

The former Starbucks/Britnell bookstore is owned by Brookfield.
Definitely an occupational hazard! That is interesting though, as I was surprised when the Starbucks there closed considering it was one of the city's first locations and is in such a high volume spot. Is this perhaps foreshadowing its inclusion into HBC renovations?

Definitely an occupational hazard! That is interesting though, as I was surprised when the Starbucks there closed considering it was one of the city's first locations and is in such a high volume spot. Is this perhaps foreshadowing its inclusion into HBC renovations?

Honestly don't know.

Starbucks closed a raft of locations around that time, so it wasn' unique to that spot.

So I wouldn't make any leaps there; except to say, it seems a curious acquisition all on its own.

Back