1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 589     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 885     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

Fairbank station southeast corner on January 23, 2022 taken by me:

IMG_3329.jpg

We can now see "FAIRBANK" in the Toronto subway typeface on the glass.

Somehow I just realized there will be 2 Eglinton LRT stops in the GTA (1 for the Crosstown line, and 1 for the Hurontario line). Looks like Metrolinx' consultants royally screwed up as they duplicated 2 station names (something they were explicitly trying to avoid, which is why they paid their consultants millions to come up with dumb naming logics).

Now with respect to when the Crosstown will open, im hedging my bet on Jan 2023.

Somehow I just realized there will be 2 Eglinton LRT stops in the GTA (1 for the Crosstown line, and 1 for the Hurontario line). Looks like Metrolinx' consultants royally screwed up as they duplicated 2 station names (something they were explicitly trying to avoid, which is why they paid their consultants millions to come up with dumb naming logics).

Now with respect to when the Crosstown will open, im hedging my bet on Jan 2023.

There used to be a Downsview Station. It was renamed to Sheppard West Station. They allegedly will be renaming Eglinton West Station (Line 1) also to Cedarvale Station.

They could be renaming Dundas Station and Dundas West Station, in the future. Even if the names are "carved" in "stone".

It’s funny how they need to pay consultants to name the stations after roads that are already there.
It’s also very confusing for anyone new to Toronto what these names mean, and they are rarely named after a landmark. (Queens Park being an exception). We should have a Eaton Centre station, a UofT station, etc. and not have 2 stations named Eglinton on in two different cities when there are going to be an entire line on Eglinton.

From the transcript (helpfully linked at the bottom of the blog post):
In an ideal world I would like the date announcement to be made by June so its before the provincial elections. As long as the line opens in 2022, I think that is a major win for everyone. Few more months to go wohooo.

It’s funny how they need to pay consultants to name the stations after roads that are already there.
It’s also very confusing for anyone new to Toronto what these names mean, and they are rarely named after a landmark. (Queens Park being an exception). We should have a Eaton Centre station, a UofT station, etc. and not have 2 stations named Eglinton on in two different cities when there are going to be an entire line on Eglinton.
Honestly I disagree. While naming stations after landmarks is helpful, its far from necessary. Let's say you're a tourist and want to go to Casa Loma. What you will do is open an app like Google Maps, look for directions to Casa Loma, and it will tell you to go to Dupont Station. This is generally how people get around. Now I do agree that with ambiguous stations that exist in multiple places like Eglinton Station, ye they should probably be differentiated.

Well that's why the method of using the names of the cross-streets works well, there's no ambiguity as to where the station is.

Honestly I disagree. While naming stations after landmarks is helpful, its far from necessary. Let's say you're a tourist and want to go to Casa Loma. What you will do is open an app like Google Maps, look for directions to Casa Loma, and it will tell you to go to Dupont Station. This is generally how people get around. Now I do agree that with ambiguous stations that exist in multiple places like Eglinton Station, ye they should probably be differentiated.
The world has changed in the past 15 years. In year 2000, one would look at a map, try to locate their destination and their current location. They examine what options are available and create your trip. Having multiple stations with the same name or random names would be very troublesome.

Now, you just use your phone and punch it in google maps or an alternative to get an optimal trip. 99% is the time it would be able to tell you exactly which bus stop to wait at. Station names become less relevant.

Back