Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

And kudos to the brave photographer for not turning into a human popsicle while taking these in the as for mentioned chilly conditions. <3
Ditto for the dog walkers.

2H-E47WgvSGswWBF8nVNzNYusWvzmiDqh1P_oFwprAGUgA4W-IAsAD8=s0-d
From link.

Traffic Notice

Lower Don Trail South of Corktown Common Closed starting January 16, 2021

As part of our plans for flood protection, we need to widen the Don River north of where it meets the Keating Channel. We’re building an area to manage sediment and debris that comes down the river in the area south of Corktown Common. As construction activities increase in this area, the potential for conflicts between cyclists and construction equipment traffic will be a safety concern. When the Port Lands Flood Protection project is complete in 2024, the trail will be ready to reopen.

Starting Sunday, January 16, the Lower Don Trail will be closed between Corktown Common and Cherry Street. This closure is in addition to the temporary closure of the multi-use trail on Lake Shore Boulevard between Don Roadway and Logan Avenue and the permanent closure of the cycling/pedestrian bridge over the Don River.

A detour route is in place along Mill Street.

If that actually happens, wow!

A few items are further down the development pipeline; but most of these are near certainties, as much as anything that hasn't actually happened yet can be.

You can see the budget expenditures for several in my post above.

The playground will begin to cash-flow next year; and has major spending budgeted in 2024-2025.

Most of the other near-term projects hit serious flow (construction dollars) in 2025

Also - is there a playground thread? I couldn't find one.

No there is not. We've discussed the river and parkland in this thread, including basic concepts.

A dedicated thread for the applicable park will likely be set up once the detailed design process is underway and there's enough news to sustain that thread on its own.

What do you guys predict for the future of the Portlands? Will we get an international developer(s) like Henning-Larsen akin to their Downsview development project or individual lacklustre glass box applications?

What do you guys predict for the future of the Portlands? Will we get an international developer(s) like Henning-Larsen akin to their Downsview development project or individual lacklustre glass box applications?

WT will lead the efforts here. Their track record is mixed; but they clearly care about design; and appear to be headed in the right direction.
I would tend towards an optimistic view on design.

However, I would caution that not every building is likely to be a head-spinning landmark.

I think one should hope for a high degree of competence, a sense of cohesion with variation.
And a smattering of next-level offerings.

That said, it's simply too early to say for sure.

We'll have a better idea late this year or early next, first, because we will see how Quayside and the Parliament slip come out.
If they are disappointing, my optimism will wane; if they exceed expectations it will grow.

Second, work is advancing towards the first round of buildings in the Portlands with an eye to occupancy in the 2027-2029 range.
That means we'll be seeing RFP's by sometime in 2023, and, at the very least the criteria will then be public, but possibly some bid teams too.

It also depends on the appeal of the Central Waterfront Secondary Plan, along with the Port Lands OPM policies. They have a lot in there regarding design, so we'll see if the tribunal approves them.
Follow here: https://olt.gov.on.ca/tribunals/lpat/e-status/ and enter case number PL030514.
Design policies will be reviewed from Tuesday, May 17 to Friday May 20, 2022 and continuing on Monday, June 20 to Friday, July 15, 2022.

WT will lead the efforts here. Their track record is mixed; but they clearly care about design; and appear to be headed in the right direction.
I would tend towards an optimistic view on design.

However, I would caution that not every building is likely to be a head-spinning landmark.

I think one should hope for a high degree of competence, a sense of cohesion with variation.
And a smattering of next-level offerings.

That said, its simply too early to say for sure.

We'll have a better idea late this year or early next, first, because we will see how Quayside and the Parliament slip come out.
If they are disappointing, my optimism will wane; if they exceed expectations it will grow.

Second, work is advancing towards the first round of buildings in the Portlands with an eye to occupancy in the 2027-2029 range.
That means we'll be seeing RFP's by sometime in 2023, and, at the very least the criteria will then be public, but possibly some bid teams too.
Is WT responsible for the condos around Sherbourne Commons? The buildings are alright but the retail options are terrible

Is WT responsible for the condos around Sherbourne Commons? The buildings are alright but the retail options are terrible

They had some effect on some of them, responsible is too strong a word; they have no say in the retail.

Back