News   Mar 28, 2024
 27     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

I doubt it’d be 24 hours. The streetcars run 24hrs because they don’t have stations, so the cost is just the operators and some end stations. Also why the subway is replaced with an overnight bus. Running the crosstown 24hrs would mean keeping all the stations open for the few people riding it.
Yes, maybe just east of Don Mills but doubt they'd run a separate route.

Finch LRT is more likely to be 24/7 for that reason but the end stations would require to be open.

I doubt it’d be 24 hours. The streetcars run 24hrs because they don’t have stations, so the cost is just the operators and some end stations. Also why the subway is replaced with an overnight bus. Running the crosstown 24hrs would mean keeping all the stations open for the few people riding it.
I'd assume that even the underground stations - other than the termini and transer stations, won't be staffed all the time trains are running, now that fare lines aren't all staffed.

I'd assume that even the underground stations - other than the termini and transer stations, won't be staffed all the time trains are running, now that fare lines aren't all staffed.
People will have different political feelings about this but I think the TTC probably won’t want to keep the stations open unstaffed overnight

272168236_254857943429004_3579352267750566867_n.jpg

From link.

We should get light rail versions of the old TTC streetcar snow plows, instead of waiting for others to do the plowing...
streetcar-4510-05.jpg

ttc-s-32-2494-2726-russell-carhouse-19530530.jpg

ttc-s35-adelaide-bathurst-19650123.jpg

streetcar-4510-01.jpg

ttc-s39-195.jpg

From link.

Those old streetcar snowplows were converted old streetcars. Wonder if they could convert any left over CLRVs over to snowplows?

Last edited:
Two part question here:

1. I know the streetcars run pretty much 24/7, will the crosstown also be running with similar hours?
No, the Crosstown will not run during the overnight hours.

The current Blue Night overnight bus service will be revamped to provide a blended 15 minute headway across the central part of Eglinton, with a half-hour service at the extremities.

2. And if there isn't 24hr service, will the vehicles just run over the snow to push it away? I dont really see it being a huge problem, but thought I would ask.
No different than the streetcars today.

But as I wrote before, I suspect that in times of heavy snow or ice forecast that the TTC will do like they do on the current streetcar and subway network, and run a couple of cars across the open-cut sections to keep the ROW and wires clear.

Dan

I wonder when we will find out when the EGLRT will open for ridership? Wonder if Ford will announce it prior to the elections in June. If he does, holy moly. Throw in an announcement for EGLRT - East Extension and hes got this election in the bag.
If everyone voted with only transit in mind, maybe.

How would outsourcing construction companies reduce the cost? We can't do what we did when we built the railroad anymore and just hier Chinese and Irish people to do it cheaply anymore.
So why are the Chinese and the Europeans building transit at a rate unheard of in the western world? I will give Toronto some credit tho, The transit projects happening in the city all over the city at the same time right now is actually the largest in North America. But the Eglinton crosstown has been an annoyance since the start in 2011. I'm just saying that it shouldn't have taken this long.

So why are the Chinese and the Europeans building transit at a rate unheard of in the western world? I will give Toronto some credit tho, The transit projects happening in the city all over the city at the same time right now is actually the largest in North America. But the Eglinton crosstown has been an annoyance since the start in 2011. I'm just saying that it shouldn't have taken this long.
China has completely different rules and standards for construction then we do here so I'm not going to touch that argument.

Last I checked the United Kingdom is in Europe and the Elizabeth line there has taken just as long if not longer then the crosstown line in Toronto do I don't buy the argument that things take less then here.

Posted today.

This was the first I heard that water mains/sewers were upgraded during the construction. I assume this was all part of the Crosstown budget?

Does anyone know if this ancillary infrastructure work is common for European transit projects as well?

China has completely different rules and standards for construction then we do here so I'm not going to touch that argument.

Last I checked the United Kingdom is in Europe and the Elizabeth line there has taken just as long if not longer then the crosstown line in Toronto do I don't buy the argument that things take less then here.
I agree with the previous comment. Adding China as a comparison in this conversation does not advance the conversation. I have spent enough time travelling around China by train, plane and car to experience the scale of building of their transit systems and to have some appreciation for what has been accomplished. But beyond the technologies, how China has built out, and continues to build out their systems, is not relatable to the western world.

Spending time in Europe on a regular basis (well pre COVID anyways) I would note that there are as many variables in building European transit as here and they often build to completion on timelines we would be familiar with. The Elizabeth line is one, HS2 will be another. My favorite is Thessaloniki in Greece and their ongoing build of a two line subway system. I have been travelling to this city since the late 90's. I believe they entered into construction of Line 1 around 2005/2006 after years and years of proposals and wrangling about routes, financing, etc. etc. The new proposed completion date of Line I is 2023. This is about 10 km's, and almost all underground. One of the major stumbling blocks to completion is archeology. You cannot stick a spade into Greek soil without running into archeology and this has caused .years of delay as the tunneling ran into previously unknown sites. The Elizabeth line dealt with this to a degree, and HS2 is advancing much preliminary work around archeology as construction of this line kicks off.

Can Metrolinx learn and build other infrastructure in a more timely basis? You would think so. And the additional projects along Finch, Eglington West and the Ontario Line will give plenty of scope for them to display their learned expertise.

I wonder when we will find out when the EGLRT will open for ridership? Wonder if Ford will announce it prior to the elections in June. If he does, holy moly. Throw in an announcement for EGLRT - East Extension and hes got this election in the bag.

No way the Crosstown is open to riders in June. More likely June 2023.

Back