Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Ideally, the station should be located north of Cummer/Drewry, closer to Connaught and Patricia. That would be nearly equidistant from Finch and Steeles, while Cummer is closer to Finch.

It would be really strange if they build Royal Orchard Stn, but nothing between Finch and Steeles. A "Cummer" or "Patricia" station can get 3x walk-in riders from the houses already there, compared to what Royal Orchard will get with any TOC in place.

They're pretty receptive to the demands of a dozen homeowners, but only in specific, dare I say strategic, areas

And honestly a bit surprised by some of the posters here. Seems a bit bipolar. Not even a few weeks ago people were claiming going 50m down was a nothingburger because the prov would never build a station so deep (despite there being a station clearly shown on the map lol). The media was the issue. Then when there's supposedly a station, calm quiet and praise. What happened to the whines about the Star and UT posters

They're pretty receptive to the demands of a dozen homeowners, but only in specific, dare I say strategic, areas

And honestly a bit surprised by some of the posters here. Seems a bit bipolar. Not even a few weeks ago people were claiming going 50m down was a nothingburger because the prov would never build a station so deep (despite there being a station clearly shown on the map lol). The media was the issue. Then when there's supposedly a station, calm quiet and praise. What happened to the whines about the Star and UT posters
Oh don't worry, we still think the choice to have a 50m deep station is absolutely insane. However if its coming out of the developer's pocket and not necessarily the taxpayers... then its whatever.

Oh don't worry, we still think the choice to have a 50m deep station is absolutely insane. However if its coming out of the developer's pocket and not necessarily the taxpayers... then its whatever.

Oh right the stations are free now

Ideally, the station should be located north of Cummer/Drewry, closer to Connaught and Patricia. That would be nearly equidistant from Finch and Steeles, while Cummer is closer to Finch.

It would be really strange if they build Royal Orchard Stn, but nothing between Finch and Steeles. A "Cummer" or "Patricia" station can get 3x walk-in riders from the houses already there, compared to what Royal Orchard will get with any TOC in place.

I don't mind if they add Cummer (I'd have preferred it over Royal Orchard) but...
...one of the points they make in the Initial Business Case is that when you draw the 500m radii around Steeles and Finch, there are actually very few walk-ins who aren't already within walking distance of the other two stations. The M2M development is a prime example as it would obviously benefit from a Cummer Station, but also is pretty walkable from Finch.
I would also agree that the box should be shifted north, though that has the disadvantage of moving you further into the Steeles walkshed.

Overall, the full 6 stations seems like a bit of overkill but it may be what's necessary to make the extension both functional and politically palatable.

I still think the station should be called Newtonbrook, after the adjacent community. "Drewry" doesn't roll off the tongue, and "Cummer" is an easy target for immature vandals.
We already have "Old Cummer", all of the jokes that could be made have already been made.

We already have "Old Cummer", all of the jokes that could be made have already been made.
Well, we can have "New Cummer" and a whole new round of immature jokes! I'm so sorry
I'm more concerned about if the signs will be defaced or stolen.

Naming the station Newtonbrook would also make any shifting of the station box or exits less conspicuous. Greenwood, High Park, and arguably Summerhill aren't on their respective streets, no need to repeat that.

Back