Toronto 260 Adelaide West | 196.8m | 61s | CentreCourt | Sweeny &Co

As currently envisioned, there are no Green P space under 260. They are currently targeting a 0.11 ratio which would only cover residents:
1642006332381.png

As currently envisioned, there are no Green P space under 260. They are currently targeting a 0.11 ratio which would only cover residents:
View attachment 374427

That needs to be considered, I think.

Like you, I could do w/o the Green P component entirely; but to the extent it makes the numbers work, I'd prefer to see the spaces under 260 and/or under the Tridel proposal on John; or possibly making use of the Nelson St. ROW for some of that, depending on utility depth.

I know I'm going to be mostly preaching to the choir here, but just to say it, the Green P in any form is a massive waste of time, land, and money. If it's under the park, it probably costs $20-30M, plus forever ongoing operating and maintenance repairs, along with a torn-up park every few decades and the cost and disruption associated with that. If it's within 260, then unless you're granting extra height, it's coming at the expense of new housing.

It's insane for the City to support either outcome in today's climate, especially for 144 parking spots steps from two streetcar lines and a short walk from two subway stations (and a TOD walk to a third), in one of the densest neighbourhoods in the country. It's even within a TOD radius of Union Station itself, FFS!

Shameful status quo-ism.

Green P is generally profitable (and these spaces being in such an expensive parking area will most certainly make the city money), but I agree that they shouldn't be tossing them under public parks.

If Green P wants to pay to buy some spaces under a new development, all the power to them. As long as it isn't being done with subsidy from the city. And Green P has done exactly that with other sites before, paying enough for the developer to make money off building the additional parking and Green P operating the garage profitably. And because the garage is underground, it doesn't remove space for more housing.

OK, maybe a stupid question, but why spend $100m to purchase 229 Richmond to turn it into a park and then turn around and develop the city-owned site at 260 Adelaide? Why not put the park on Adelaide and let a developer pick up the site on Richmond? Is there more potential density on Adelaide because it's farther from the Queen West HCD? I'm sure there's a good reason for all the real estate gymnastics, so apologies if it was already explained in this thread and I missed it.

A few massing models to show impact on skyline (260 Adelaide in BLUE):

Looking southwest from above University Ave:
Skyline_2.png

Looking south from Baldwin Village:
Skyline_3.png

Birdseye showing Entertainment District (southwest):
Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 23.07.44.png

Looking south towards the harbour:
Skyline_1.png

Looking northeast from above Entertainment District:
Birdseye_NE_1.png

From University Avenue:
Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 02.50.08.png

Aerial view of the 'superblock' (between King/John/Simcoe/Adelaide streets):
Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 03.03.19.png

Skyline from above Kensington market:
Skyline_4.png

Last edited:
A few massing models to show impact on skyline (260 Adelaide in BLUE):

Looking southwest from above University Ave:
View attachment 375275

Looking south from Baldwin Village:
View attachment 375276

Birdseye showing Entertainment District (southwest):
View attachment 375281

Looking south towards the harbour:
View attachment 375279

Looking northeast from above Entertainment District:
View attachment 375277

From University Avenue:
View attachment 375337

Aerial view of the 'superblock' (between King/John/Simcoe/Adelaide streets):
View attachment 375338
Skyline from above Kensington market:
View attachment 375280
Amazing how tiny it looks in some of those images with the proposed ones in red.

OK, maybe a stupid question, but why spend $100m to purchase 229 Richmond to turn it into a park and then turn around and develop the city-owned site at 260 Adelaide? Why not put the park on Adelaide and let a developer pick up the site on Richmond? Is there more potential density on Adelaide because it's farther from the Queen West HCD? I'm sure there's a good reason for all the real estate gymnastics, so apologies if it was already explained in this thread and I missed it.
Yes, if it were a block closer to Queen, it would need to be shorter, and density would be lost.

Back