Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

I guess I find the drawings neither depressing nor ghastly. I love them!

The station itself isn't dark. With the wall between the tracks, you don't get the same dark feel to the station. Combined with the new lighting, and light finishes, the station is very well lit.
I agree, they do seem to show people 'moving' which is (or should be!!) appropriate for TTC. I might have preferred more colour but .....

The other day I poked my phone underneath the wall leading to The Market area that’s opening next year, and they changed the look of the entire thing from a photo three years ago. So they dug out the area, finished it, tore it out, and completely redid it.

49A75984-02C5-4B2B-B655-75AA7A9AB1A3.jpeg
AA95E3C2-3605-4293-876C-7C3E0035EF91.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The other day I poked my phone underneath the wall leading to The Market area that’s opening next year, and they changed the look of the entire thing from a photo three years ago. So they dug out the area, finished it, tore it out, and completely redid it.

It's possible.......................that an anchor tenant for that space didn't end up working out.

** to be clear, were that the case.......cough......I honestly can't speak to whether the changes made relate to that.

It's possible.......................that an anchor tenant for that space didn't end up working out.

** to be clear, were that the case.......cough......I honestly can't speak to whether the changes made relate to that.
I would agree; however this is the main hallway, not retail space, so they shouldn’t have any affect on the look of the hallway.

The old photo looks to match the design of York Concourse and Bay (the hallway area where TD and Sephora will be) and the new look matches the recently opened food isle.

Wonder if it has to do with the water damage issue that led them to open up the York concourse ceiling for repairs repeatedly, and recently were fixing the hallway connecting York-Via-Bay that they wanted a ceiling that left the structure exposed versus covered up. There’s a post on page 537 about them using drip trays to detect leaks in Bay, maybe this was a better solution.

The old photo looks to match the design of York Concourse and Bay (the hallway area where TD and Sephora will be) and the new look matches the recently opened food isle.

Wonder if it has to do with the water damage issue that led them to open up the York concourse ceiling for repairs repeatedly, and recently were fixing the hallway connecting York-Via-Bay that they wanted a ceiling that left the structure exposed versus covered up. There’s a post on page 537 about them using drip trays to detect leaks in Bay, maybe this was a better solution.
Interesting, I have recently noticed the ceiling tiles that were removed in the York concourse and the hallway to the Bay and VIA concourses; how severe was the water damage?

I have another question that hopefully someone here has an answer to, what’s happening in the East Wing? It looks completed but the hoarding is still up, and will retail or food be going in it?
It’s strange because I haven’t found any concept art relating to the renovations at the East Wing (I’ve found over 650 other pieces of concept art, so I’m pretty confident that none was made for that area).

I have another question that hopefully someone here has an answer to, what’s happening in the East Wing? It looks completed but the hoarding is still up, and will retail or food be going in it?
It’s strange because I haven’t found any concept art relating to the renovations at the East Wing (I’ve found over 650 other pieces of concept art, so I’m pretty confident that none was made for that area).
The UPPER floors of the East Wing belong to the City and were fixed up for overflow or consolidated City offices but covid(?) has slowed that down. I do not think anyone has moved into them so far. I seem to remember they will also be used to house folk who are being evicted from Metro Hall while it is being upgraded and the Fire Station from Adelaide incorporated into it.

The area you ask about on the main level is (eventually) supposed to be retail/restaurant etc but I am not 100% sure if it is part of the over-arching Osmington lease or a separate one or if it still belongs to the City and is not leased to anyone. I have no doubt that whatever it is going to be used for it will sit empty until after all the retail/food sections of the Bay and York Concourses and the new, and as yet unopened, Food Court areas are leased out. There is also the question of the restaurant in the Great Hall itself.

The UPPER floors of the East Wing belong to the City and were fixed up for overflow or consolidated City offices but covid(?) has slowed that down. I do not think anyone has moved into them so far. I seem to remember they will also be used to house folk who are being evicted from Metro Hall while it is being upgraded and the Fire Station from Adelaide incorporated into it.

The area you ask about on the main level is (eventually) supposed to be retail/restaurant etc but I am not 100% sure if it is part of the over-arching Osmington lease or a separate one or if it still belongs to the City and is not leased to anyone. I have no doubt that whatever it is going to be used for it will sit empty until after all the retail/food sections of the Bay and York Concourses and the new, and as yet unopened, Food Court areas are leased out. There is also the question of the restaurant in the Great Hall itself.
Thanks for the response, I actually asked someone at Union Station the other day about the progress about the restaurant in the Great Hall; he said that the plans changed and it’s now an office, however I’m not sure if he just misunderstood about what it is now instead of in the future.

Thanks for the response, I actually asked someone at Union Station the other day about the progress about the restaurant in the Great Hall; he said that the plans changed and it’s now an office, however I’m not sure if he just misunderstood about what it is now instead of in the future.
I’ve heard this restaurant mentioned on and off, is that referring to the boarded up area opposite the ticket booths? That’s be a very odd spot for an office, or a restaurant for that matter.

Wow I just realized it’s been boarded up for so long, I’ve never seen it exposed.
I can see that being good for retail, kind of like the Apple store in Grand Central, or a fast casual/coffee type of restaurant
Oh no please not more coffee, there’s already 12 locations inside Union.

Back