Toronto Minto Midtown | 160.01m | 52s | Minto Group | Zeidler

How many people in total are going to be moving into these buildings?

It should be evident around the intersection that there are more people.

I'm one of the loft buyers in north tower, and I can speak that my possession date is August 20th and still haven't received a PDI invite

I just spoke to them and they said that they will notify me end of this week or next week for PDI date.

My unit is on the highest floor of the podium building

Sorry if I have given the wrong information andrejefry :eek: ... I based the above from my observations on site ... because I got starred at by two guys (non-construction workers) chilling in their balcony in the Quantum North loft building while taking the above photos ... seem crop image below (will try to be more careful next time :D)

Except for the townhomes and the impressive height of the one tower, I'm not quite sure what is so special about these two buildings. If they were planted up around Scarborough City Centre I doubt any one would notice if it weren't for the height.

I wish there was at least a little more contrast between the glass and the cladding on the towers... or (having never seen them up close in person) maybe it's just that I haven't seen one picture yet that truly does these buildings justice.

Unlike so many new condos today, the towers have a lot of symmetry and balance. They're elegant, especially with the podium and the lack of excessive precast. They're postmodern, but somehow still respect the modernist character of nearby highrises. These are not the tacky "One Park Drive" sort of towers.

That said, it's the height and location in the desirable Midtown area that are the most appealing aspects of the project.

Sorry if I have given the wrong information andrejefry :eek: ... I based the above from my observations on site ... because I got starred at by two guys (non-construction workers) chilling in their balcony in the Quantum North loft building while taking the above photos ... seem crop image below (will try to be more careful next time :D)

no, no need to apologize. I'm just saying for my particular case, I'm not moving in till Aug 20. There could be other circumstances where other owners may occupy their units earlier. It could be part of their amendments to move in as early as possible.

Agreed. And this is one building where the closer you get, the better it gets (unlike much of what has been built in the city recently). The use and quality of stone on the base is exceptional. I have been meaning to take pictures of the base close up (I think all we have seen on the forum are pictures from afar and across the street). Even the awnings are miles ahead of much of what has been done in the city recently.

. They're postmodern, but somehow still respect the modernist character of nearby highrises.

At street level the rounded projecting windows are more reminiscent of the 40s and 50s' Streamline look than of PoMo, and are very fetching. Meanwhile, the street level of the podium could have been much grander: with at least 25% more ceiling height the architects could have emphasized the scale of this project and brought some of the complex's grandeur to street level. Scrapping it out over the height of buildings in this city is likely what normally sinks impressive ground levels, so I would like to see zoning incentives be added to promote grand main floors.

If the main floor here were better I would agree that this is the best podium in recent times in the city. Meanwhile, I am looking forward to the completion of the Murano partly for what promises to be the most fantastic podium around.

sorry if old

ex-Toronto mayor is one of the owners in Minto

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...06/19/david-crombie-living-the-high-life.aspx

crombie.jpg

At street level the rounded projecting windows are more reminiscent of the 40s and 50s' Streamline look than of PoMo, and are very fetching.

They don't add much functionality and are ornamental. That round entrance and the minor setbacks at the top of the tower are also PoMo elements. It's because Postmodernists are open to using elements from any previous era, not limited to art deco extravagance.

It's in that article which andrejeffry linked.

Here's a quote:

In buying a 1,200-square-foot, two bedroom, two bathroom, two balcony condo on the fifth floor of the south tower, Mr. Crombie and his wife, Shirley, have actually stayed below the 45-foot limit he set back in 1973.

I was in the Eglinton West/Y+E area today, and found these Minto towers looking very sharp indeed! I'd forgotten how lively this part of town can be, especially on the weekend.

So, at Eglinton and Mayfair Avenue I took only one photo--but, I'll admit, I prefer the old deco apartment buildings along Eglinton to Minto 1/2 but still, these towers look impressive! It shall be interesting to see the next pair of towers going up next door--2010 launch date?

DSC07889.jpg

Not sure if anyone else noticed but the crane has been taken down at Quantum North. What remains is the temporary service crane which should come down within the next week or so.

Back