News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

VIA Rail

If that were possible, then it would be equally or more possible through Kingston, and HFR wouldn't be on the table.
Why do we think sharing freight with HFR (and there's more of it that's still on active freight than not) is going to work, but not on the Kingston sub? The Winchester Sub is well used, and VIA will be sharing almost the entire Sub from Smith Falls to near Dorion.

I'm not sure HFR should be on the table!! It's certainly may be a benefit for Ottawa service, being shorter. And it has the benefit of a lot less level crossings if they want to go for higher speeds one day. But it makes little sense for Montreal-Toronto service, and is at best slightly shorter than staying along the lake - while missing most of the population.

I can't see CP being any more helpful than CN, considering that VIA's end need is the same (an hourly service pattern) and the Galt Sub is single track west of Campbellville.
How is this difference than the CP Winchester sub from Smith Falls to Dorion. Obviously part of this is adding one, or even two, tracks reserved for VIA. And putting in enabling legislation and regulations to give passenger trains priority over freight, where such track has been added.

Why do we think sharing freight with HFR (and there's more of it that's still on active freight than not) is going to work, but not on the Kingston sub? The Winchester Sub is well used, and VIA will be sharing almost the entire Sub from Smith Falls to near Dorion.

While some people have read this into some of the vaguer releases, we don’t know that this is a fact. I am presuming VIA will use the more likely route of a short parallel stretch next to CP through Perth, and a stretch from De Beaujeu to Dorion, switching to the CN alignment from there to St-Henri.

Even these short stretches represent a huge risk for HFR. One can assume that CN and CP view this amount of accommodation as workable and a reasonable trade for otherwise getting VIA away from their routes…. but it remains to be seen whether they will actually expedite ViA on a day to day basis, and whether ViA will have sufficient legal remedies to enforce a service standard. Until we see more of the detail, I wouldn’t take my eye off this one.

I'm not sure HFR should be on the table!! It's certainly may be a benefit for Ottawa service, being shorter. And it has the benefit of a lot less level crossings if they want to go for higher speeds one day. But it makes little sense for Montreal-Toronto service, and is at best slightly shorter than staying along the lake - while missing most of the population.

How is this difference than the CP Winchester sub from Smith Falls to Dorion. Obviously part of this is adding one, or even two, tracks reserved for VIA. And putting in enabling legislation and regulations to give passenger trains priority over freight, where such track has been added.

I would much prefer a Network-Rail-ish entity that would rationalise and regulate all rail corridors and tell CP and CN where they can run their trains and with what priority. Freight co-production might extract capacity for Via from existing routes without so many challenges. But, that just isn’t going to happen in this country., so I don’t see the point in dwelling on it.

- Paul

But it makes little sense for Montreal-Toronto service, and is at best slightly shorter than staying along the lake - while missing most of the population.

The Ottawa-Gatineau CMA has more people than the entire Lakeshore east of the GTA combined. But I guess since you've only lived in Montreal, your fixation on Toronto-Montreal, justifies ignoring a metro of 1.3M and the national capital.

The Ottawa-Gatineau CMA has more people than the entire Lakeshore east of the GTA combined. But I guess since you've only lived in Montreal, your fixation on Toronto-Montreal, justifies ignoring a metro of 1.3M and the national capital.
Just to back this up with CMA/CA population figures from the Census 2016:

CWLL: 59,699
BRKV: 38,553
KGON: 161,175
BLVL: 103,472
CBRG: 19,440
PHOP: 16,753
Total CMA/CA population between MTRL and the GTHA served by the Kingston Sub: 399,092

OTTW: 1,323,783
Peterborough: 121,721
Total CMA/CA population between MTRL and the GTHA served by HFR: 1,445,504

MTRL: 4,098,927

Cambridge: 129,920
WDST: 40,902
Total CMA/CA population between LNDN and the GTHA served by the Galt Sub: 170,822

Brantford: 134,203
INGR: 12,757
Total CMA/CA population between LNDN and the GTHA served by the Dundas Sub: 187,682

GUEL: 151,984
KITC (excl. Cambridge): 393,974
STRF: 31,465
Total CMA/CA population between LNDN and the GTHA served by the Guelph Sub: 577,423

LNDN: 494,069

This means that for every non-GTHA resident "skipped" along the Lakeshore (Kingston Sub), there are 3.6 living in Ottawa or Peterborough and 10.3 living in Montreal.

Similarly, for every non-GTHA resident living along the Galt Sub (or the Dundas Sub, for that matter), there are 3.4 living along the Guelph Sub and 2.9 living in London. Moreover, whereas the intermediary population of HFR is about one-third of the population of Montreal, the intermediary population along the Guelph Sub is actually 20% larger than London itself...

Last edited:
The Winchester sub portion isn't critical to HFR. And I actually do hope the Ottawa bypass is scrapped.

Even if they do decide to use the Ottawa bypass, I really don't think it would be high frequency. I see it as only being used during peak travel times, and off peak they route the trains through Ottawa for the improved ridership. It is better to have frequent service on a route that takes slightly longer than it is to have infrequent service on a route that is slightly faster.

The Winchester sub portion isn't critical to HFR. And I actually do hope the Ottawa bypass is scrapped.
Without the Ottawa bypass, the relatively slow travel times to Montreal from Toronto will impact ridership too much. The transport demand modelling would demonstrate that - which is presumably why the bypass suddenly appeared on the maps - because it is critical to HFR.

I'm not sure why the personal attacks here. I've also lived in Ottawa ... used VIA a lot then. And I lived in Kingston for years (for a lot longer than I lived in Montreal!) - which if anything explains my hesitancy to cut services to Kingston.

Absolutely Ottawa needs to be part of this - but I'm not convinced this is the best approach. The VIA Fast solution that the Martin government killed, of the new link from Kingston up to Smith Falls would have been just as fast - if not faster - than running through Peterborough.

Seems to be some cherry picking here.

CWLL: 59,699
BRKV: 38,553
KGON: 161,175
BLVL: 103,472
CBRG: 19,440
PHOP: 16,753
Total CMA/CA population between MTRL and the GTHA served by the Kingston Sub: 399,092

OTTW: 1,323,783
Peterborough: 121,721
Total CMA/CA population between MTRL and the GTHA served by HFR: 1,445,504

Hang on - now that VIA has figured out that the numbers don't work running the Montreal service through Ottawa, and have gone for the bypass through Kemptville, then Ottawa isn't anywhere close to the Toronto-Montreal alignment. So why include the Ottawa numbers - as Ottawa isn't served by either the current or future Toronto-Montreal service.

Cambridge: 129,920
Total CMA/CA population between LNDN and the GTHA served by the Galt Sub: 170,822

Brantford: 134,203
INGR: 12,757
Total CMA/CA population between LNDN and the GTHA served by the Dundas Sub: 187,682

GUEL: 151,984
KITC (excl. Cambridge): 393,974
STRF: 31,465
Total CMA/CA population between LNDN and the GTHA served by the Guelph Sub: 577,423
Wow - you missed Hamilton! And ignore that parts of Kitchener are closer to Galt than Kitchener Central.

Though the issue here isn't so much about population - it's about the end-to-end travel time from London to Toronto - which is going to be on Dundas Sub - and if you have a second choice it's Galt.

Surely your population numbers enforce this ... run the frequent express service through the lower density area, and the frequent slower service through the denser area - which would serve more the KW to London and KW to Toronto-type services, than London-Toronto.

Hang on - now that VIA has figured out that the numbers don't work running the Montreal service through Ottawa, and have gone for the bypass through Kemptville, then Ottawa isn't anywhere close to the Toronto-Montreal alignment. So why include the Ottawa numbers - as Ottawa isn't served by either the current or future Toronto-Montreal service.

Wow - you missed Hamilton! And ignore that parts of Kitchener are closer to Galt than Kitchener Central.

Though the issue here isn't so much about population - it's about the end-to-end travel time from London to Toronto - which is going to be on Dundas Sub - and if you have a second choice it's Galt.

Surely your population numbers enforce this ... run the frequent express service through the lower density area, and the frequent slower service through the denser area - which would serve more the KW to London and KW to Toronto-type services, than London-Toronto.
Sorry, dude, but I'm no longer going to reply to your increasingly aggressive posts until you propose some more appropriate figures yourself rather than just lazily attacking the fully-referenced ones I provide, but just that much: please look up on Wikipedia what the "H" in "GTHA" stands for...

Thank you!

Last edited:
Sorry, dude, but I'm ...
Why is sharing adding track and sharing freight with CP and CN on the two southern Subs between Toronto and London out of the question, and would only repeat the mistakes of the past, but doing the exact same for almost the entire CP Winchester Sub not an issue?

I can only assume that your desire to dodge the question means that you have no explanation why it will work in Eastern Ontario but not in Southwestern Ontario (not to mention the Trois-Rivières Sub if there's a future increase of freight traffic on the north shore!)

Why is sharing adding track and sharing freight with CP and CN on the two southern Subs between Toronto and London out of the question, and would only repeat the mistakes of the past, but doing the exact same for almost the entire CP Winchester Sub not an issue?

I can only assume that your desire to dodge the question means that you have no explanation why it will work in Eastern Ontario but not in Southwestern Ontario (not to mention the Trois-Rivières Sub if there's a future increase of freight traffic on the north shore!)
I'm not demanding that anyone agrees with me, but just like everyone else here, I expect a minimum level of respect and that requires to not just shout "WRONG!", but to provide a similarly detailed analysis of why you think that your approach to the issue is more appropriate. This is not about what you write, but about how you write it.

Please return to a respectful tone or just stop interacting with me. We are a community of people with similar interests, not a parliament where politicians attack each other for whatever gains...

Thank you!

Last edited:
Why is sharing the Winchester sub with freight not a problem for HFR, but sharing the Dundas or Kingston sub would be?

Frequency of service. Potentially running 2-4 express trains a day on the Winchester sub to bypass Ottawa during peak travel times (if VIA even goes with this option, which isn't a clear) is much easier than the full 15 trains a day that HFR would require.

These statements are ... questionable (and other adjectives). Let's take a look, shall we?
Because we're no longer running our main trains along the freight tracks.

For the record, I think passenger service should have dedicated tracks.
Ottawa and Peterborough isn't "most of the population" between T-M? The whole of the province east of Kingston isn't 2 million people.
Hkw is this difference than the CP Winchester sub from Smith Falls to Dorion. Obviously part of this is adding one, or even two, tracks reserved for VIA. And putting in enabling legislation and regulations to give passenger trains priority over freight, where such track has been added.
We could do that. We would also need to expand grade separations, ROW, and buy the (more expensive) land along the Kingston Sub.
Without the Ottawa bypass, the relatively slow travel times to Montreal from Toronto will impact ridership too much. The transport demand modelling would demonstrate that
Show me this modelling.
- which is presumably why the bypass suddenly appeared on the maps - because it is critical to HFR.
It's not more than 50 km longer, and improvements on the Ottawa segment would benefit T-M trains too.

The bypass appeared in some maps published by Quebec media. The VIA Rail HFR website sure doesn't feature it. I've not seen anything other than those Quebec maps, indicate this bypass.
I'm not sure why the personal attacks here. I've also lived in Ottawa ... used VIA a lot then. And I lived in Kingston for years (for a lot longer than I lived in Montreal!) - which if anything explains my hesitancy to cut services to Kingston.
VIA promises to keep service to Kingston. If you don't believe them, I don't blame you ... but this seems to be a NIMBY attitude and very much a "minority holding the majority hostage" situation.
Absolutely Ottawa needs to be part of this - but I'm not convinced this is the best approach. The VIA Fast solution that the Martin government killed, of the new link from Kingston up to Smith Falls would have been just as fast - if not faster - than running through Peterborough.
The goal of HFR is not speed. It's to get a relatively cheap, basic service that can be upgraded in the future (including the Ottawa bypass) to a better service.

A new alignment would be expensive. That would kill the plan entirely. The Havelock Sub is at least usable for the most part.

Hang on - now that VIA has figured out that the numbers don't work running the Montreal service through Ottawa
Have they? It's no longer than the Lakeshore route. I've only seen a map in Quebec media outlets.
, and have gone for the bypass through Kemptville, then Ottawa isn't anywhere close to the Toronto-Montreal alignment.
The Winchester Sub is no more than 50 km out of Ottawa.
So why include the Ottawa numbers - as Ottawa isn't served by either the current or future Toronto-Montreal service.
Still no proof.

Numbers, both from Urban Sky's data and from highway counts, show that T-O and T-M demand to be equivalent. The 416 takes half of the 401's traffic at that point.
False equivalency. We're still serving Montreal (without much degradation).
Hamilton isn't served by the Galt Sub. If you mean the Dundas Sub, then you can't include Kitchener.
Though the issue here isn't so much about population
It is though, the more people you serve with a roughly equivalent trip speed and time, the better.

Don't measure transit by distance or speed. People travel to go somewhere useful, and the more somewheres you serve, the better.
- it's about the end-to-end travel time from London to Toronto - which is going to be on Dundas Sub - and if you have a second choice it's Galt.
K-L and K-T isn't a small market.
That is fair.
Running limited trains on an entirely rural route where there is room for an extra VIA track (leasing arrangements might get complicated) is easier than running most SW Ontario trains on a semi-urban route where adding track is expensive (and you need more track).

I would be interested in train counts on the freight mainlines.
I personally would advocate for buying the Trois Rivières Sub if we were to HFR that segment. Will BNSF (is it them that own the track?) sell? If traffic is really that low, probably.
Why is sharing the Winchester sub with freight not a problem for HFR, but sharing the Dundas or Kingston sub would be?
See above.

Last edited:
Frequency of service. Potentially running 2-4 express trains a day on the Winchester sub to bypass Ottawa during peak travel times (if VIA even goes with this option, which isn't a clear) is much easier than the full 15 trains a day that HFR would require.
Where is the source that Montreal to Toronto isn't getting HFR service?

Also, what about the chunk of Toronto-Ottawa that is on the Belleville sub from Perth to Smith Falls?

Last edited:

Back