News   Apr 18, 2024
 697     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.3K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yesterday

2621575892_8c60f4c5ab_o.jpg

2620753769_304f0dced3_o.jpg

2620755171_9e5178a20f_o.jpg

2621577348_27fd5d7f9d_o.jpg

2620754135_d313e3b773_o.jpg

2621577160_1e142c8daa_o.jpg

2620755489_175cc2ff71_o.jpg

fabulous pics, tomms, and an important photo-record of the changes taking place at Yonge & Bloor....:)

There goes my favourite Indian restaurant in the whole city :(.

/not really, they moved down to Hayden.
//still, precious memories...

thanks for the kind words everyone

the grounds really do look like a war zone, partially collapsed floors, titling stair cases, and falling ceilings. the guts of the building torn out and spread out in no senseable order.

P.S. i didnt have much time to play with the photos this morning, ive since updated a couple of the photos above.

I agree, the first thing that came to my mind was images of European cities ravaged during the war. Amazing shots.

Fantastic shots. There's something very sad about these demolitions that I hadn't felt until I looked at these images.

I'm usually one to blubber on sentimentally about the loss of old buildings, but not this time. There is nothing distinguished about any in this collection, especially the building at the corner of Yonge and Bloor that housed City Optical. For years I wondered why, even in the 1950's, the developer thought it economically worthwhile to put up a two-story building at such an important corner. Surely the city didn't limit the height?

...especially the building at the corner of Yonge and Bloor that housed City Optical. For years I wondered why, even in the 1950's, the developer thought it economically worthwhile to put up a two-story building at such an important corner. Surely the city didn't limit the height?

I think its because the corner wasn't seen as all that important at the time. The intersection has always been far less dense than Yonge/Queen, King/Bay etc.

The first towers ever built on those corners are the ones that are there now, 2 Bloor West, and HBC--both dating from the 1970's. Before they were built, i'm pretty sure all four corners were low rise.

in other words, the idea that Yonge/Bloor is the most important downtown intersection seems to be a fairly recent idea.

And that was also back when Queen, rather than Bloor, was still the "preferred" E-W subway routing...

wow, progress

Thanks so much tomms for the pictures, I hope you didn't get hurt trudging through the rubble getting those!

Has anyone heard if sales are still ongoing and what the latest in terms of units sold in the building? Now that there has been a slowdown in the market in the past year, are these units selling at all?

I wonder if people are still paying such sky high rates to buy these units? Shortly after all this hype, someone on this board was saying a 2 bedroom unit selling for 600K was going for 800K!!! Has the price come down since then??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back