News   Apr 16, 2024
 384     2 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 396     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 751     0 

Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413

I'm guessing very few people on here actually drove 407 in rush hour pre-pandemic. If trucks could use it for free then it would become immediately congested and destroy their whole business model (pay extra to travel across town at 120 km/hr).
I have driven the 407 extensively since it opened twenty years ago.
Congested is not a term that I would use to describe it.

Yes, the "subsidize trucks to use the 407" argument is terrible, and doesn't address the growing trucking industry needs.
Why not?
You haven't provided an argument at all.
If we discount the toll, What trucking does the 413 route support that the 407 route does not?

Why not?
You haven't provided an argument at all.
If we discount the toll, What trucking does the 413 route support that the 407 route does not?
Normally, the fuel taxes on diesel would have been a revenue source for the province. Except that with electric semi trucks coming up, even that source will dry up.

Unfortunately, Doug Ford thinks he can cancel the slow change toward electric vehicles.

From link, dated November 22, 2019.
In Canada, B.C. and Quebec lead in EV sales because consumers get healthy incentives to buy. A month after Doug Ford became premier of Ontario, he scrapped the incentive plan for the province and put a halt on the construction of new, provincially funded charging stations. Currently, there isn’t a single EV charging station at any of the ONroute rest stops that service the provincial highways.

I'm guessing very few people on here actually drove 407 in rush hour pre-pandemic. If trucks could use it for free then it would become immediately congested and destroy their whole business model (pay extra to travel across town at 120 km/hr).
This might be support for the 413. The trucking industry is growing not because of market growth or investment thing. It’s because we have more people living in the GTA buying more products. It’s cause most of us here are actually the people driving the growth. This extra traffic needs to go somewhere.

This might be support for the 413. The trucking industry is growing not because of market growth or investment thing. It’s because we have more people living in the GTA buying more products. It’s cause most of us here are actually the people driving the growth. This extra traffic needs to go somewhere.
The single-occupant automobile is the main cause of traffic congestion. If they could switch over the public transit (GO Transit?), there will be less congestion for the trucks.

That's why we need the Midtown GO Transit corridor. See link and link.

go-midtown-map.png

Last edited:
The single-occupant automobile is the main cause of traffic congestion. If they could switch over the public transit (GO Transit?), there will be less congestion for the trucks.
Maybe when COVID-19 is over. If this continues for another half a decade, a portion of transit riders would be lost forever.

Would it be more cost effective to build a "missing link" for the CN/CP trains along where the 413 would go and then use the existing CN York Subdivision, CP tracks through Toronto and CP Galt Subdivision up to bolton for 3 new GO lines, two of which would be crosstown lines.

Now some may say CN uses the Macmillan yard on the York subdivision but what if we had a north entrance to the yard.

Edit, after looking above it seems the above paragraph is impossible unless you expropriate alot of homes.

That's why we need the Midtown GO Transit corridor. See link and link.

go-midtown-map.png
I'm all for it but unless the other provincial parties support this corridor, nothing will happen.

I am all in for having a toll free 413 so that it can actually relieve congestion from 401, something which 407 failed to do despite being much closer. I would rather have tolls on 401 instead because that's a straighter crosstown route and passes through urban areas and through a part of the city that has better transit.

Another added benefit of having toll free 413 is to bleed 407 consortium. It would be nice to see those greedy people lose some revenue.

I am all in for having a toll free 413 so that it can actually relieve congestion from 401, something which 407 failed to do despite being much closer. I would rather have tolls on 401 instead because that's a straighter crosstown route and passes through urban areas and through a part of the city that has better transit.

Another added benefit of having toll free 413 is to bleed 407 consortium. It would be nice to see those greedy people lose some revenue.
Actually that's quite brilliant, build this highway as as a ring road around the GTA, put no tolls on it, put a toll on the Toronto section of the 401. It would reduce congestion on the 401 alot(maybe even downsize it)

Actually that's quite brilliant, build this highway as as a ring road around the GTA, put no tolls on it, put a toll on the Toronto section of the 401. It would reduce congestion on the 401 alot(maybe even downsize it)
They need a plan to get people out of cars. Otherwise the traffic would just spill onto near by city streets.

I was at the demonstration in holland landing doing some filming. My general sense was that the protest was relatively popular in the community -- just based on how many cars honked and waved in support.

407 is owned in part by all of us, through cpp.

Back