Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

The city would probably object to something in the Port Lands considering the massive redevelopment planned for the area.

I'm not saying in the heart of Villiers Island where plans are active. Rather the Port Lands, east Saulter. Other than lost gains, it wouldn't really hinder redevelopment. In fact I think could add to it. Get a nice facility incorporated well a la Leslie Barns to the east. That's true urbanism.

I just wonder why some of the sidings can't be put under the towers in the hydro corridor?
That would leave more developable land that would screen the yard.

rD6FM0z.png

I've received clarification that these renderings were created by Save TPark, not Metrolinx.
Wow, these grassroots activists have a surprising number of capabilities!
I assume you'd just demo it and start again. Preferably in a way it could be covered with a development. Shouldn't be much different than starting from scratch.

Though that raises the option of putting the Thorncliffe deeper, with the opportunity of developing it. Perhaps also giving them a park. There's certainly other cities where the garages are underground or covered over!

There's a difference between cancelling a project, and just tinkering with controversial pieces, like the yard location, and the above-ground segment through Riverdale.

Though Toronto-Danforth (Riverdale) is a safe NDP seat - so nothing to be gained there. But the yard is in Don Valley West, where the Conservatives lost in 2018 by only 181 votes - so if I were the Liberals, I would be making promises about moving that yard.

Ford is ahead in the polling, but they are significantly down from the last election in the recent (Leger) poll. The current Canada338 seat projection puts the PCs with only 53 seats, compared to 45 for the Liberals and 25 for the NDP - which I'd assume would lead ultimately lead to a Liberal premier - which is what happened in 1985 when the results were similar. I'm not sure why you think that Ford's re-election is likely, even if he is the best choice for transit expansion.
Greenwood was designed to be overbuilt. It's not a good site for OL
Also, I don't believe MX for a second when they say that this MSF location is the only workable location. The most affordable location? Sure. The only workable location? No.

As a transport-focused agency, MX doesn't have any organizational imperative to reduce community impacts. Their sole concern is to get this MSF and supporting infrastructure up and running as soon as possible, with as little cost as possible. Spending money to mitigate community impacts doesn't benefit MX in any way, which is why I'm very hesitant to take MX's statements on the matter at face value.
The Jane-Finch MSF location would be my favoured. My issue here is MX's attempt to unilaterally cancel the promised community enhancements that they promised in exchange for building the MSF there. And this isn't the first time that MX has attempted to unilaterally renege on their commitments either. If MX wants to have popular support for their projects, they really oughta start treating the communities they're entering with some amount of respect. The entire community consultation process for MX lead projects has generally been a mess. With this being how MX has traditionally conducted themselves, it's no wonder why community members really dont want to do business with you.
The problem I think is less Metrolinx and more demanding that a community gets tons of extra benefits on top of a higher order transit line (you're already benefitting from the transit line) - the reality of infrastructure is you've gotta take all of it, trains need a yard. It's not even a bus garage with potentially lots of diesel fumes.
Finally a positive story by TVO

"Positive"

What makes them "whiney"?
They complain about the MSF, they complain about poor old Jimmie Simpson Park, they complain about "muh home value will go down", they complain about "the noise", they complain about this and that.

It's transit for god sakes! the one thing this province struggles with building, is getting fast tracked so it can finally get built, instead of the "gotta do this consultation,that consultation, oh this angry minority is upset? gotta make them happy" and then you waste another five years appeasing these people.

And you know what, I may never ever use the line, but I still want my taxes to fund it.

They complain about the MSF, they complain about poor old Jimmie Simpson Park, they complain about "muh home value will go down", they complain about "the noise", they complain about this and that.

It's transit for god sakes! the one thing this province struggles with building, is getting fast tracked so it can finally get built, instead of the "gotta do this consultation,that consultation, oh this angry minority is upset? gotta make them happy" and then you waste another five years appeasing these people.

And you know what, I may never ever use the line, but I still want my taxes to fund it.

People caring about their community isn't whining.

If you lived in one of these communities you might be singing a different tune.

Instead of researching or fact checking, they drink "whine".

A lot of them are researching and fact checking. The problem is that Metrolinx can't answer their questions nor are they honest with them.

I'm fascinated how quick we are to make local citizens that care about their community the villains. Some of them may be acting out of complete self interest, but they have also raised fair points Metrolinx hasn't come close to addressing.

Back