News   Mar 28, 2024
 96     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 560     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 357     0 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway catch-all, incl. Hybrid Design (2015-onwards)

I’m not sure what you mean? I find it quicker to go up Jarvis than Yonge. Lots of pedestrians and slow moving vehicles on Yonge
the replacement ramp for the jarvis ramp will end at Yonge St. but will continue straight onto Lake Shore, sort of similar to how the new Simcoe ramp does, meaning that you will simply have a single extra stoplight to get to Jarvis from the Gardiner. It's not a big deal, but it will let the ramp service the financial district more, taking a bit of pressure off the Simcoe ramp.

The bigger issue with the planned gardiner ramp changes is that there will no longer be an eastbound on ramp between Rees and Jarvis, and Lake Shore will become discontinuous between Yonge and Jarvis, meaning there won't be a clear path for vehicles to access the eastbound Gardiner from the financial district. THAT will be annoying.

The same Report confirms the timelines:

Lower Yonge Precinct Project - 2024 to 2025 • Shortening the Lower Jarvis Street off-ramp to Yonge Street; and • Removal of the Bay Street on-ramp to eastbound Gardiner Expressway.
Gardiner East EA Project - 2026 to 2030 • Construction of two new access ramps on the east side of Cherry Street, connecting the Gardiner Expressway with Lake Shore Boulevard East.
I thought everything would be completed by 2024? What happened? Why the delay again?

the replacement ramp for the jarvis ramp will end at Yonge St. but will continue straight onto Lake Shore, sort of similar to how the new Simcoe ramp does, meaning that you will simply have a single extra stoplight to get to Jarvis from the Gardiner. It's not a big deal, but it will let the ramp service the financial district more, taking a bit of pressure off the Simcoe ramp.

The bigger issue with the planned gardiner ramp changes is that there will no longer be an eastbound on ramp between Rees and Jarvis, and Lake Shore will become discontinuous between Yonge and Jarvis, meaning there won't be a clear path for vehicles to access the eastbound Gardiner from the financial district. THAT will be annoying.

It seems shortsighted there keeping the Reese Ramp but removing the Bay ramp.. there by keeping the weaving zone between the Ress and Jarvis ramps ... which I imagine will only get worse to go through once the ramp is shortened to yonge.

It seems shortsighted there keeping the Reese Ramp but removing the Bay ramp.. there by keeping the weaving zone between the Ress and Jarvis ramps ... which I imagine will only get worse to go through once the ramp is shortened to yonge.
Have to remove Bay ramp as it's the only way the Yonge Ramp can be built.

The Yonge ramp is needed to allow for direct movement onto Lake Shore as well allowing a tower to be built where Harbour St is now connecting Yonge to Lake Shore.

To deal with all this mess and timeline is to tear it down 100% east of York St.

Had to laugh years ago when people were complaining about the Gardiner blocking the view of the waterfront and said it was the buildings south of the Gardiner that blocking the view and only getting worse as times goes on.

Remove all the ramps!

Is that what the folks in this thread would like?

At the risk of sounding hysterical as complaining on the internet usually does, does anyone know why they didn't start building the new bridge/ramp DVP/Gardiner connection before dismantling the Lake Shore ramp? I've searched for a reason and can find timelines and studies, but no reasoning behind it. I'm sure (or hoping) there's a logical reason, logistically, but it's been bugging me for weeks now and has become a nagging puzzle that I can't figure out the answer to.

At the risk of sounding hysterical as complaining on the internet usually does, does anyone know why they didn't start building the new bridge/ramp DVP/Gardiner connection before dismantling the Lake Shore ramp? I've searched for a reason and can find timelines and studies, but no reasoning behind it. I'm sure (or hoping) there's a logical reason, logistically, but it's been bugging me for weeks now and has become a nagging puzzle that I can't figure out the answer to.
Two different agencies going two different speeds. Waterfront Toronto has a 2024 date to hit regarding a new river mouth and flood protection, and the city has no real deadline but is currently planning on funding the new freeway alignment starting in 2026. Really the city was so slow that Waterfront Toronto delivered their demolition for them.

The alternative was build a widened bridge over the river only to take it down in five years or delay flood protection until the city accomplished something. Anyone who has watched the city fix elevators, doors, and paint a ceiling in union station knows that waiting for the city to do something is a bad strategy.

Last edited:
gardiner.jpg

.. what a weird feeling going through this area.

Nov 27
Still a lot of work and paving to be done for the centre area where the Gardiner off/on ramp was before traffic can be shifted. Need to setup Jerseys barriers to stop traffic trying to cross Lake Shore. No signs up tell everyone what heading their way this week.

Assuming traffic light will be remove once the shift take place.
51711799776_e671c4227a_b.jpg

51712470724_7c3773ecd1_b.jpg

51711015267_941b4767e0_b.jpg

51712680265_648c3b133f_b.jpg

51712680180_9a5e054ff0_b.jpg

51712470009_02a6e4e22e_b.jpg

51712469929_8155e606a6_b.jpg

51712470389_0e965bbab6_b.jpg

51712680830_ceb4e536d5_b.jpg

What's the 'shift' that's taking place?
The eastbound will use 2 lanes of the westbound lanes west of the Don Way and then use the centre section of corridor east of it. The westbound will shift to the centre section using one lane only to Cherry St,

You can see the map here and here. It was to happen today, but not ready. It can be seen in thread 3182 for Lower Don Lands

Next year, it will be using the new eastbound bridge over the Don that will be longer than the current ones using 2 lanes eastbound and one westbound.

Back