News   Mar 28, 2024
 93     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 274     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 641     0 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

It does in a way as it takes time to remove the belts.

The reality is though that if a bus slams on the brakes passengers will go flying. That is likely why they did this.
So is this because of rules on motor coaches or the seats on the bus? The enviro isn't technically a motorcoach by pure definition is it? Anyone know the exact text of the regulation?

"This seat belt requirement applies to “over-the-road” buses (a bus with an elevated passenger deck located above a baggage compartment) of any GVWR, as well as any bus over 11 793 kg GVWR, other than a perimeter-seating bus, transit bus, or school bus"

So the d4500s fall under this rule, but it doesn't look like it really needs to apply for the enviros...am I interpreting this wrong?

"This seat belt requirement applies to “over-the-road” buses (a bus with an elevated passenger deck located above a baggage compartment) of any GVWR, as well as any bus over 11 793 kg GVWR, other than a perimeter-seating bus, transit bus, or school bus"

So the d4500s fall under this rule, but it doesn't look like it really needs to apply for the enviros...am I interpreting this wrong?
The Enviros are over that GVWR, and don't have perimeter seating (save for the two benches on the bottom deck), so yes, they absolutely qualify.

Dan

The Enviros are over that GVWR, and don't have perimeter seating (save for the two benches on the bottom deck), so yes, they absolutely qualify.

Dan
but isnt an enviro considered a transit bus by definition? what makes it different that the one that oc transpo uses other than the seats?

but isnt an enviro considered a transit bus by definition? what makes it different that the one that oc transpo uses other than the seats?
What do you call the DD doing intercity service today??? They will require to have seatbelts on all new ones to operate in Canada.

When OC orders more DD, seatbelts will be require. Until then, they don't have to use seatbelts unless they choice to install them on the current fleet.

The SuperLos are configured quite similarly to the Van Hools Megabus uses. It’s about the size, the weight, the configuration, and the application. The buses GO operated appears to fit in the “highway” coach category.

It will be interesting to see where Vancouver’s Enviro500s fall. They use them on the highway and are configured for express service.

another question about seat belts on buses what about if a parent needs to being a child on the bus do they now have to bring car seats or booster seats?

The SuperLos are configured quite similarly to the Van Hools Megabus uses. It’s about the size, the weight, the configuration, and the application. The buses GO operated appears to fit in the “highway” coach category.

It will be interesting to see where Vancouver’s Enviro500s fall. They use them on the highway and are configured for express service.
My take is all DD buses running in Canada will require seatbelts on all new buses starting this month regardless where they operate or are made since this is a Federal Requirement now.. Buses coming into Canada from the US will be interesting to watch to see if they comply with Canada requirement and expect they will. Most US companies will use the older ones for Canadian runs until those have to be replace. X buses in a fleet will be assign to Canadian runs that will have the seatbelts only. There been talks that the US will follow this requirements for a number of year. I am assuming Canada will issue a notice to the US DOT about the new requirements who them inform US companies of the new requirements. It like the railways where various equipment cannot run in the US or Canada and cannot enter the other country..

As for booster seats, that is unknown and a good question. I expect it will be no as it will cause major issues for riders getting to/from buses as well walking around with it. Maybe able to get one from a terminal as required and left at the other end. A catch 22.

My take is all DD buses running in Canada will require seatbelts on all new buses starting this month regardless where they operate or are made since this is a Federal Requirement now.. Buses coming into Canada from the US will be interesting to watch to see if they comply with Canada requirement and expect they will. Most US companies will use the older ones for Canadian runs until those have to be replace. X buses in a fleet will be assign to Canadian runs that will have the seatbelts only. There been talks that the US will follow this requirements for a number of year. I am assuming Canada will issue a notice to the US DOT about the new requirements who them inform US companies of the new requirements. It like the railways where various equipment cannot run in the US or Canada and cannot enter the other country..

As for booster seats, that is unknown and a good question. I expect it will be no as it will cause major issues for riders getting to/from buses as well walking around with it. Maybe able to get one from a terminal as required and left at the other end. A catch 22.
How do you expect to retrofit 1000's of buses effective as of the end of the month? And who's going to pay for it?

If you drive a model ford Model T do you have to retrofit airbags and crash standards as well? Seriously?

How do you expect to retrofit 1000's of buses effective as of the end of the month? And who's going to pay for it?

If you drive a model ford Model T do you have to retrofit airbags and crash standards as well? Seriously?
I’m pretty sure the seatbelt requirement is just for new busses. So it will be “phased in“ over time.

In addition, there are various structural requirements that can make retrofitting seatbelts on existing buses more difficult.

^ The new requirements are federal vehicle standards legislation. As is common in most regulatory legislation, previous standards are grandfathered (if I'm still allowed to say that), either sine fine (without end) or with a compliance window of several years, often the typical industry service life of the vehicle type.. No, you don't have to install seat belts in a Model T. How US-registered highway coaches are treated remains to be determined, but in many areas, we reciprocally accept US standards (US vehicles operating in Canada do not have to have daytime running lights, for example).

The vehicle equipment standards are distinct from usage, and I think the Ontario Highway Traffic Act and regulations may need some tweaking. The way I read it - and it has admittedly been many years since I had to think about this critically - the driver of a "bus for hire" is responsible for passengers under 16, except where 'child restraint' devices are involved, which seems to leave a gap of several years, which would be an unreasonable burden on the driver. A similar problem would exist if they were to mandate seat belts on school buses. I could be reading it wrong.

I think it is completely reasonable that a parent with a child who requires a booster seat/infant-toddler seat should be required to comply with current similar legislation. There are ample studies that show that the standard 3-point restraint is dangerous for child body dimensions, and the carriers would otherwise carry a significant liability. When I drove for an out-of-town airport shuttle service, parents were obviously diligent in having the appropriate restraint seat for their child, but it was our policy that the parents had to install them in in the van (if for no other reason that only parents can figure the damn things out).

Did I say existing buses must have seatbelts???

I said ALL buses being delivery this month and there after MUST have seatbelts. ALL Buses up to September 2021 do not need them install unless X decides to do so. Not a cheap conversion and it will depend on the age of the bus if it does see seatbelts.

Since this is a Federal requirement, it over rules all Province rules that will require the province to update their requirements.

I said the US buses may have to meet the new standards and to get around it is to use buses built before Sept 2021. Since there been talks of using seatbelts in the US for a number of years, this new requirement could kick start the same requirements there now. Their timetable will be different than ours as to when buses must start seeing belts on new buses. Time will tell for this change.

Did I say existing buses must have seatbelts???

I said ALL buses being delivery this month and there after MUST have seatbelts. ALL Buses up to September 2021 do not need them install unless X decides to do so. Not a cheap conversion and it will depend on the age of the bus if it does see seatbelts.

Since this is a Federal requirement, it over rules all Province rules that will require the province to update their requirements.

I said the US buses may have to meet the new standards and to get around it is to use buses built before Sept 2021. Since there been talks of using seatbelts in the US for a number of years, this new requirement could kick start the same requirements there now. Their timetable will be different than ours as to when buses must start seeing belts on new buses. Time will tell for this change.

Retrofitting any vehicle for seatbelts would require an engineering sign-off.

I'm not convinced a change to federal vehicle standards, in and of itself, forces a province's hand regarding usage, although they will no doubt follow suit as there is a huge liability issue. Compliance will be an issue. Daytime running lights have been a federal safety standard since 1980 but there is not a word regarding their usage in the HTA.

Back