News   Apr 16, 2024
 247     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.4K     6 

Portlands Energy Centre

I've been to a website that warned the nuclear project is a bad idea, and pointed at Chernobyl as an example of why it's a bad idea to build something like this so close to a large city.

Lack of electricity would make lighting and refrigeration tough. That'd kill more people than Chernobyl. Fortunately we don't build graphite-moderated reactors here.

Power is distributed at a much higher voltage then 25KV. Allso, it's AC, while trains, streetcars and subways prefer to operate at about 600VDC.
TGVs operate at 25kV AC. (So does Siemens Velaro aka ICE and the 800 Series Shinkansen)

I also recall reading somewhere that that was CN's preferred electrification standard for GO since if they were to electrify they would do so using 25kV locos.

25kV AC is the standard for mainline centenary electrification all around the world.

Well, it's not a standard, it's a relatively new system. Most still operate at much lover DC voltages.

TGVs operate at 25kV AC.

Sorry, I though this was about Toronto.

digi why so cranky?

If you want Toronto content have you forgotten about MoveOntario2020's promise to electrify GO Lakeshore? Obviously they won't use TGV powercars for that but TGV is a well known widely deployed form of electric rail.

Downlingm,
I'm not cranky, my apologies if I've offended you...sometimes emotion doesn't always appear as intended in text.
I'm very interested in power systems and wanted to contribute with (the only thing ;) I know about.

Back