Toronto The Goode Condos | 111.4m | 33s | Graywood | a—A

^ Actually the retail element has a cafe honouring Chuck.

Link

“It’s about the podium, the scale of the podium, and how it meets the street,” Mr. Cadeau says. “So it’s very important that that’s well detailed [and] materials are special.”

Thankfully, Mr. Cadeau is heading up the team to produce the newest residential building at the Distillery (yes, there are a few sites left to develop) for Graywood. Better yet, it’s going to “pull” the pedestrian experience to the south by occupying the site of a former one-storey building at 33 Parliament St., while also replacing asphalt with greenery and cobblestones.

“We’re having a new, animated edge against Distillery Lane,” Mr. Pattison says. “It’s kind of just parking, no-man’s land with that dead edge to it. … So we’ve got 20,000 square feet of retail on our ground floor.”

And to ensure that retail jibes with the existing “no chains” policy, the Distillery District’s developer, Cityscape, will purchase that space and “curate it the same as they’ve curated the [existing] retail.”

“That was a big, big win for us.”

Christened “The Goode” (better than “The Wort,” this author jokes), the 32-storey, 540-unit building will also feature a semi-enclosed courtyard at its base, which will add to the sense of discovery that already exists due to the network of heritage laneways and jiggity-jaggity building placement.

“It’s just this variety of space that encircles this building,” Mr. Cadeau says. “That’s very much indicative of the Distillery; there’s this kind of meandering sense to the spaces opening and closing, it has this serendipitous experiential quality, and that’s in a sense what we’re trying to create here.”

Graywood are planning on construction to start next summer and have occupancy anticipated for 2025.

How close will No. 31 Condos be to The Goode, like a laneway? A lot of these renderings don't show the other building and I'm sure a bunch of people purchasing on the south side thinking they'll have lake views / any views will be very disappointed. The lack of sunlight will be an issue as well.

How close will No. 31 Condos be to The Goode, like a laneway? A lot of these renderings don't show the other building and I'm sure a bunch of people purchasing on the south side thinking they'll have lake views / any views will be very disappointed. The lack of sunlight will be an issue as well.

I don't have the exact figures but these two buildings will definitely be within close distance to each other. Since No. 31 is also a taller tower, pretty much all south facing units from The Goode will be blocked and looking towards adjacent units of their southern neighbour.

I can imagine for marketing reasons, both developers are leaving out what is expected to rise beside them. But ultimately, it'll be up to buyers to do their research on what type of units they want to buy. However, units facing west should have some nice views towards the downtown skyline. And to a certain degree the north and east facing views are alright too.

Back